Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first hat

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Hello FL community!

I just purchased my very first hat off (that's not a ballcap) ebay. I'm not sure if it's the best hat, but I wanted a cheaper one to start off with so I could try brim shaping and the like.

I have a few questions though, the hat is only described as felt, how can I tell the difference between wool felt or fur felt? Also, how old is the hat? I have no idea whether it's actually vintage or not.

Here is a link to the ebay auction, it actually is black in person, though the pictures look brown. Maybe one of you more knowledgeable folks can shed some light for me:

Ebay: Hat

Thanks,
Rob

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
I'm certainly not an expert, but that looks like a nice vintage Stetson that would be fur felt and not wool. The perforated initials in the hatband are usually indicative of the hat having come from a higher end retailer.

My opinion is that you have snagged a vintage hat that is far superior to most of what you will find new today. Unless there is some hidden damage, I think you got a steal of a deal!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I think that fur is correct and my guess is 1950s for the age (the rather narrow brim seems of that era).

I'm no expert. The only thing that I'm certain of is that you got yourself a fine looking hat. Welcome to the Lounge! :cheers1:

MattC

A-List Customer
Dating the Stetson

Others may know better, but I know Stetson was using that kind of black sweat band with the moniker "Royal Deluxe" in the 60s and the 70s. I think most 50s Royal Deluxes has brown bands. The brim width looks 60s, though you can't tell for sure by that.

The Eagle from Stetson was a model they had around for a long time. Just as they did the Playboy II and the Whippet II there was the continuation of the Eagle into the 1960s.
Here is the ad for a Stetson Eagle from the 1940s:

9550.jpg

We can be sure that this is not your hat. The brim is not wide enough and several other factors--such as the sweatband and the liner tell me that is was produced in the 1960s. No problem it is just a newer version.
Shape it how you like and wear it. Stetson made decent hats into the 1970s. Ownership changes and financial difficulties after that made the company much less than it ever was. Now they are a shadow of their former selves with hats that fade and sweatbands that are hard like rocks. Enjoy what you have. It is from an age when Stetson knew how to make hats. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff