Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Leather Jacket Journey

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Surely Vicenza it is that I decided to order. Now, do I get an option of FQHH on Vicenza?
No, although I think Vicenza is FQHH, it is more of a vegetable tanned mid weight hide, as opposed to CXL FQHH that is chrome tanned and packed with waxes that makes for a heavier, less flexible jacket that doesn't drape as well as Vicenza. Of all the Vicenza I have seen, my personal preference is seal Vicenza.

Last edited:

Sree

New in Town
Here are some pictures of the fit jacket and the gorgeous hide

BR front_1.JPG

Back.JPG

Close up1.JPG

Close up 2.JPG

sitting up.JPG

Sree

New in Town
more eye candy...:D

back close up.JPG

spot a dark spot in the middle, i guess that's how dark seal ages

Patina spot.JPG

Some leather samples, for comparison
leather samples_1.jpg

Dark seal & Seal side by side
Dark seal & Seal.JPG

Blackened brown sample on dark seal

Blackened brown swatch on dark seal jacket.JPG

Seal close up
Seal close up.JPG

Dark seal close up
Dark seal close up.JPG

Darkened brown close up
Darkened brown closeup.JPG

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero won't do a YKK #10. It doesn't fit with their MO. Personally, I don't get the moaning about the standard Talon. I've been using them for going on five years and they all perform perfectly well.

Sree

New in Town
Aero won't do a YKK #10. It doesn't fit with their MO. Personally, I don't get the moaning about the standard Talon. I've been using them for going on five years and they all perform perfectly well.

Ok cool then, I will go with stock Talons, if it gives up retrofit it with YKK #10 later

Sree

New in Town
Ok, Thanks handymike.

@Fanch, please if possible could you post your seal sheene jacket pictures?

Mowgli222's seal jacket looks lot lighter than the seal sample i have in daylight
Aero Sheene seal jacket1.jpg

sample Seal swatch
Seal close up.JPG

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Even the sample of seal Vicenza that I got awhile back doesn't do justice, and you can't believe how nice a jacket made from it looks. Either brown or olive cotton drill would work although I prefer olive.

One of my Sheenes has zippers on the hand warmer pockets and the other doesn't. As I said earlier, I much prefer no zippers but wish I had gone with a vertical inside pocket without closure on both jackets although a zippered closure of the inside pocket would be ok.

You look as though you were poured into your fit jacket. One size larger should be snug fitting and two sizes would likely be ok too with a bit of extra room. Your decision will likely be based on how you want it to fit. I suspect Carrie will gently nudge you into a 46.

Sree

New in Town
I suspect Carrie will gently nudge you into a 46

Just got off the phone with Carrie, like you said, she gently nudged me into a 46 :). The Lady is quite very confident !!

Besides, I'm on exercise routines as well, hopefully if I can shed some lbs or maintain as is, 46 should be okay. This Jacket should keep me in watch out for my weight.

Yes, I'm choosing the Seal color with Olive drill cotton/sateen combination for body/sleeves with olive drape color stitching.

So here are my finalized specs:
- 46 size Seal with super extra grainy FQHH vicenza -requested that genuine FQHH horse hide vicenza label if available for sure
- Buco label on inside of inside pocket please to represent and honor the BR design
- No shoulder gussets
- Two chest Pockets, angled
- a "V" yoke, single panel back
- no kidney panels
- inside pocket with no zip or snap on button
- Arms stitching to line up with yoke stitching in the back ( Post 1307 page 66)
- Collar - August
- Arms - nice looking arms with hidden zippers in the back, Talon zippers with horsehide toggles, not too much curving/ballooning in the back by elbows
- Nickel hardware - thought it will be a nice contrast highlight to the Seal color
- Diamond-Shaped Pull on chest pockets
- Talon main zipper with horsehide toggles
- Hand warmer Pockets with slightly larger pockets with deeper pocket bags, no zippers
- Zipped closed towards hem so it aligns with waist body line both sides nicely
- Olive Drill cotton liner body and OD sateen for sleeves combination, Olive Drape thread stitches
- Standard BR body length on 44 size is 27", requested a half inch extra to compensate for shrinkage and creases giving us a 27.5" Long body
- 26 and 3/4 original sleeve length of fit jacket, requested to add an extra 1 and 3/4" extra length for sleeves. Size 46 should give me an extra 1/4" as standard as per Carrie, resulting in 2" extra sleeve length

Sent the specs for her review and waiting for her green.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Your final specs look good to me. I prefer zipped sleeves in the back, much less noticeable than in the front. I removed my horsehide toggles on both of my Sheenes and put them inside the chest pocket. Speaking of which, my preference would be horizontal chest pockets rather than slanted, but to each is own.:D

Last edited:

Sree

New in Town
Speaking of which I think I prefer horizontal sheet pockets over slanted

My head hurt just thinking if I should go horizontal or slanted. Finally thought what the heck, never had an outfit with slanted pockets, this should be fun, a slightly different look and pulled the decision on slanted pockets

Nobody can accuse you of not being thorough
emoji12.png

The specs look good, cant wait to see the finished product!

Thank you Protein.

Just shipped off the fit jacket back to Carrie. Now the wait begins! :rolleyes:

Hopefully I will get into June production slot, waiting to hear from Carrie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo