Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Panama

Canadave

One Too Many
This body is on it's way to Art, via Panamabob. These are his photos. I can't wait! :)

can1.JPG
can2.JPG

He feels the minor pinholes may disappear after it's blocked, but it's not a big concern for me.

David

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding these hats and I'll tell you I see pinholes in every hat! We'll see what becomes of them after blocking and settling.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Buy!!

The most expensive hats have some pin holes. It is part of the hat. Remember that these hats are HAND WOVEN. The tighter the hat, the finer the straw, the skill of the craftsperson making it, all contribute to the overall quality and price.

Your hat looks like the one I just got, and You Won't Be Diaappointed.

Canadave

One Too Many
GOT IT!

...and love it. Art did a great job. I love the ribbon treatment, and it fits perfectly. Robert and Art do it again...

PanamaBlockS.JPG

PanamaFrontS.JPG

Check out the rake -
PanamaRakeS.JPG

Love that ribbon -
PanamaRibbonS.JPG

weavesS.JPG

What y'all think?

David

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Sweet hat, Canadave!!!! Your block is just like the one I got from Art. Don't worry about the pinholes, all Panamas have them. Remember, being hand made there will always be a "flaw" of some kind. Even on the multi thousand dollar hats I've seen the holes.

I was just at Art's Hat Sanctuary in Rodeo and it is so nice to see the man in action. To see the process of taking a raw beaver felt body turning into the finished product is a real treat.

Regards, Kaleponi Craig

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Great things came together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadave said:
...and love it. Art did a great job. I love the ribbon treatment, and it fits perfectly. Robert and Art do it again...

PanamaBlockS.JPG

PanamaFrontS.JPG

Check out the rake -
PanamaRakeS.JPG

Love that ribbon -
PanamaRibbonS.JPG

weavesS.JPG

What y'all think?

David

Really look at that Ribbon.!!! Pure Vintage!!!!!!! :cool:

Art Fawcett could teach bow making. He is one of the best i've ever seen.
Marlene at Optimo and Art sure take a plain hat and make it very special.

Dave, you got a great hat body from Robert Weber and Art did the rest. I'm happy for you. :cheers1: Coke!!

Sharpey

That ribbon treatment is very nice. You won't see another one like it in all of your country or this one for that matter. :p
It looks great. Gee, it even fits you?! Man that must have been a big BIG body to start with! ;) The crown and brim are not small so it must have been a BIG body. I like it. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
That ribbon treatment is very nice. You won't see another one like it in all of your country or this one for that matter. :p
It looks great. Gee, it even fits you?!...

Yeah, it was big, wise-guy! ;)

Funny story...Art wasn't sure I'd like that ribbon treatment (I LOVE IT) so he included a 2" piece of the main ribbon in case I wanted to replace that bow detail. Well, I didn't see it, and it must have dropped out of the box when I opened it and my (new) puppy got it. My wife found it wet and chewed later, and imagined the worst! :eek:

David

Canadave said:
Yeah, it was big, wise-guy! ;)

Funny story...Art wasn't sure I'd like that ribbon treatment (I LOVE IT) so he included a 2" piece of the main ribbon in case I wanted to replace that bow detail. Well, I didn't see it, and it must have dropped out of the box when I opened it and my (new) puppy got it. My wife found it wet and chewed later, and imagined the worst! :eek:

I am sure the dog liked the ribbon the way it was so it disposed of the extra ribbon for you. ;)
Gee, PanamaBob must have happened across a few weavers making a canoe and thought of you. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
Looks pretty good. I like the dime better on the side of the hat...shows the weave tightness better.

This one?

weaves1S.JPG

It's just another location on the crown.

jamespowers said:
...Gee, PanamaBob must have happened across a few weavers making a canoe and thought of you...

They were weaving it for a 14' tall statue of the president of Equador!

David

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I should have said:

"I like to see photos of the sides of the crown because the top of the crown is the circular weaving that is very close together. If I see the side of the hat I can see the straightness of the rows and count the weaves on the inch."

Canoe? I'm not going there.

Canadave

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I should have said:

"I like to see photos of the sides of the crown because the top of the crown is the circular weaving that is very close together. If I see the side of the hat I can see the straightness of the rows and count the weaves on the inch.

Sorry, I thought you meant the other photo that I sent you. I haven't taken a shot of the side, but I will in tomorrow's forecasted sunshine. It's pretty dark here now. (8:30 PM).

BTW, to measure, would I just hold a ruler against the hat horizontally and vertically and count the weaves, then multiply to get the weaves/sq inch? When I quickly did that, I had between 500-1000. I'll do it more carefully with a magnifier.

David

PS Thanks JP.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Dave,

That is exactly what we do. We count vertically then horizontally (or however you call that on a cylindrical item.....you math wizards) and then multiply....we take 2-3 places and call it good. In Ecuador they have square cm cut out and count the "runs" or "races". Basically the number of lines that run in the square. 4.5 is starting the really good hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda