1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

My first project

Discussion in 'Hats' started by maintcoder, Feb 26, 2006.

1. maintcoder

maintcoder A-List Customer

After seeing Shamus remake a recent purchase, I decided to give it a try myself. I recently won these two auctions -
    Brown Stetson
    Grey Stetson

The brown hat only needed a bit of cleaning. It is of newer vintage as the liner is glued in and I have been wearing it today. I am pretty happy with the purchase.

But the grey hat looked like this when I received it yesterday (I turned the brim up)...

front
    side
    back
    side

and my daughter said I looked like Rocky from Looney Tunes when I tried it on.

After a good brushing and a bit of steaming, this was the result...
    front
    side
    back
    side

Let me know what you ladies and gentlemen think. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, tips or tricks for this type of project. I am unsure this is the right hat for this type of project due to the curl and ribbon on the brim.

Thanks!

2. indyguy

indyguy New in Town

stetson

I believe the stetson is actually a homburg instead of a fedora.

3. epic610

epic610 One of the Regulars

i agree

what it looks like you got was a gorgeous grey homburg. re-curl the brim, add a center dent and you are in business.

4. shamus

shamus Suspended

Nice buys!

I also think that grey one might look better as a homburg as the rim edge is so thick. The felt looks really soft in the pics. Does it have a model name?

But that aside, you did a great job with the tea kettle! I never realize how easy it is to do. It makes you look at old crumpled up hats with a different eye doesn't it.

I actually did a light touch up on my open road, to match Jimmy's from the FBI story.

What size are you? I just picked up another Open road in a 7 1/4 long oval. I should get it next week.

5. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Nice job on the gray "Rocky" hat! :fedora: Amazing what a little brushing and steaming can accomplish.

6. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I'm with epic610 and shamus on this one, maintcoder. That grey Homburg begs for a Homburg edge and a center bash. I have a nice black Knox Homburg I very rarely wear because the brim bends up too much at the sides to suit the shape of my face. I like the look of the brim on yours in the "before" shots, and I'm hoping to hear from someone here on how I can make mine like it--flatter all around while maintaining the uniform edge curl.
    Judging by that photo in your avatar, I'm guessing you'd look quite distinguished in a grey Homburg. I vote for giving it a try that way--with the brim turned up all around and just a straight bash down the center of the crown.

7. maintcoder

maintcoder A-List Customer

Thanks

Thanks for the help, everyone. I wasn't totally sure if one hat could be 'switched' into another (like some western hats can be remade into fedoras). The hat itself does seem to have a desire to have the brim up. I will re-steam it today or tomorrow into a homburg shape and see how it goes.

Shamus, I am a 7 1/4 also. I look forward to seeing the new Open Road when you finish it. And the model name on the grey hat is Royal De Luxe Stetson St. Regis. I couldn't much information regarding that model, but perhaps others here have better resources than just a simple google search.

8. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

I have a couple St. Regis homburgs, and I see them online off and on with the brim curled down like on the ebay listing. I think sellers do it because they don't think the Homburgs will catch a good price, and many just don't know any better and figure it is a fedora and try to snap the brim down.

If you want to re-homburg the hat I suggest you send it to a hatter who has the correct equipment to curl the brim up the way it was originally.