Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first semi-real hat

HHCassius

New in Town
"White Collar" the TV show? Haven't seen it, of course I'm really behind on American TV, Movies, and Music since being in Europe!

My bad, here are some pictures:

3802499_f520.jpg

tumblr_kst4iwp6MC1qaoxoqo1_500.png

tumblr_l7069jB0Ox1qcumhjo1_500.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And here is me wearing it:
IMGP1640.JPG

I will also say that it is a great 'starter' hat.

However, when you begin to look for your first 'real' (as in not 'semi-real') hat, might I suggest looking at hats that have a proportionally larger crown. You look like a big guy, and I think you'd look fantastic in a more straight sided, fuller crowned, wide-brimmed - similar to your straw - hat.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, I'll look into that. Is it true that taller people should get wider brimmed hates rather then shorter?

Maybe, but another factor is the shoulders. I ask myself, would Jimmy Stewart have looked good in wide-brim hats? I think he was better off with the 2.5 or less inches that he seems to have worn. What about John Wayne? Wide brims. No stingy brims for him. So, depends on the build.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Is it true that taller people should get wider brimmed hates rather then shorter?

http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

Here is a web page from Miller that gives some insights as to how a hat may compliment a face or perhaps work against it. It is a matter of comfort to some people to have this type of information when starting out.

However, over time as one gets comfortable with the idea of wearing a fedora they will find that they are able to broaden out as to the type of hat they can wear. It becomes a matter of wearing a hat, not having the hat wear them. Think of it this way stingy brims are the rage now and there are plenty of guys wearing a stingy brim that according to the rules should not but if their attitude is right they wear the hat, it doesn't wear them.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was basing my opinion on your overall build. The brim on the straw you are wearing looks to be about 2 1/2", which looks good one you, but optimally, the crown looks a tad too small, imho.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

Here is a web page from Miller that gives some insights as to how a hat may compliment a face or perhaps work against it. It is a matter of comfort to some people to have this type of information when starting out.

However, over time as one gets comfortable with the idea of wearing a fedora they will find that they are able to broaden out as to the type of hat they can wear. It becomes a matter of wearing a hat, not having the hat wear them. Think of it this way stingy brims are the rage now and there are plenty of guys wearing a stingy brim that according to the rules should not but if their attitude is right they wear the hat, it doesn't wear them.

I think that is true. Buying a whole bunch of hats, i noticed that some come with a crown taller than I'm used to, one has a wider and lower crown than I'm used to, and some are too much tapered. But once you get used to seeing yourself in it, and getting comfortable with it, it fits much better. You just have to resolve yourself to thinking that hats are all different, and many can look good on you, but if you think it looks weird, it's going to look weird to other people. So just give yourself a chance to get used to them and feel comfortable in them, and worry less about the face chart.

I think that is true. Buying a whole bunch of hats, i noticed that some come with a crown taller than I'm used to, one has a wider and lower crown than I'm used to, and some are too much tapered. But once you get used to seeing yourself in it, and getting comfortable with it, it fits much better. You just have to resolve yourself to thinking that hats are all different, and many can look good on you, but if you think it looks weird, it's going to look weird to other people. So just give yourself a chance to get used to them and feel comfortable in them, and worry less about the face chart.

That situation gets repeated a lot for many as they grow into enjoying fedoras. I can recall a number of folks that started with smaller hats moving to an Akubra Campdraft of the like and being startled by the brim width. It took them a while to get used to it. Some people can't move to another style without feeling uncomfortable, it happens now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy