Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Stetson, and Important Cleaning question. Please help.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
I know I'm supposed to put this in "Post New Hats Here!" thread, but I also have a question. Anyway, I woke up the morning and saw that no one was bidding on this L.S. Ayres & Co. black fedora I was watching on Ebay. I told myself I wouldn't buy another hat until I get to college and get a job. Also this morning I planed on going with my little brother and his friends on a bike ride to Burger King. So, after we got done eating we headed down to our local Goodwill to look around. I saw this cheap, grey, wool, and banged up one but said that it was defiantly junk. Then, as I was walking out I saw a box with "STETSON" on it and on top was this really nice fedora. I thought to myself "There is no way that is 7 1/8" but I was wrong, it was. It was $25, but today was Military/College student discount day, and I got it for $20!

:) Moral of the story: Good things come to those who wait.:)

Now for the question. How do you clean the inside of the fedora? The silk inside has what looks like a little mold, and I don't just want to take a lysol wipe to it.:eek:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Here's one way to deal with the liner.

Gently remove the liner and wash it in Woolite or such. If you are satisfied with how it cleaned up, put it back into the hat once dried. If you are not satisfied, you can try stronger cleaning agents, or leave it out. ;)

2manyhats

Familiar Face
zetwal said:
Here's one way to deal with the liner.

Gently remove the liner and wash it in Woolite or such. If you are satisfied with how it cleaned up, put it back into the hat once dried. If you are not satisfied, you can try stronger cleaning agents, or leave it out. ;)
Wow, I had no idea it could be removed. I see it is attached by an adhesive, how do you reattach it?

2manyhats

Familiar Face
hatophile said:
And 2many,

Definitely post photos of you in your hat once it's properly cleaned- it sounds like a nice one!
Well, the outside is beautiful. Here are the pics.
The Inside:
DSC04267.jpg

DSC04268.jpg

DSC04269.jpg

DSC04276.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

The HAT!:
DSC04271.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

DSC04273.jpg

DSC04274.jpg

The Box:
DSC04275.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
2manyhats said:
Wow, I had no idea it could be removed. I see it is attached by an adhesive, how do you reattach it?

That liner doesn't look bad to me. If it doesn't have a bad odor or look unclean I wouldn't worry about a little cosmetic spotting myself. Either way, you may simply reattach it with some tape as it's done now. You can also tack it back in with needle and thread (that's actually the preferred way to attach a liner) or a little glue. As you will see, the liner mostly stays in place by fitting properly and tucking behind the leather sweatband. It shouldn't take much to hold it in place after that. Here's a thread devoted to liner removal and replacement. There are others too, but this one should help. There's really not much to it. ;)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=44723&highlight=liner

2manyhats

Familiar Face
zetwal said:
That liner doesn't look bad to me. If it doesn't have a bad odor or look unclean I wouldn't worry about a little cosmetic spotting myself. Either way, you may simply reattach it with some tape as it's done now. You can also tack it back in with needle and thread (that's actually the preferred way to attach a liner) or a little glue. As you will see, the liner mostly stays in place by fitting properly and tucking behind the leather sweatband. It shouldn't take much to hold it in place after that. Here's a thread devoted to liner removal and replacement. There are others too, but this one should help. There's really not much to it. ;)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=44723&highlight=liner
Got it out, washed it up, and now drying. Thank you very much zetwal.:)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
2manyhats said:
Got it out, washed it up, and now drying. Thank you very much zetwal.:)

It sounds like the spots came out quite easily. I hope you get many years of happy use out of your new (and now that much cleaner) hat. Well done ... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff