Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Straw Panama

James71

A-List Customer
So I wandered into Katoomba this morning and dropped into the Hattery for a Macchiato and a baked cheese cake. Even though we are in the middle of winter and I am loving my new Silverbelly Campdraft, I am traveling to Queensland in the next few months and will need to something light and cool to wear. Being a mountains man through and through and more at home in the cold than the sweltering heat, I doubt my collection of felts will get a lot of wear up there.

So I figured I would get myself a straw fedora. I didn't like the local offerings from Akubra. The poly just seems as stiff as a cardboard box and quite plastic. They look great, but I wasnt rapped in the feel of them.

Jen at the Hattery suggested this hand woven Ecuador panama in the fedora style. Its as light as a feather and very soft.

Im sure that these are as common as muck over there in the states, but a really nice example like this is relatively hard to find and expensive over here, so I am happy to have found it.

Im set for summer!

Straw1.jpg

straw2.jpg

straw3.jpg

straw4.jpg

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Well it looks like you scored a nice Brisa weave Panama hat James71. :D It also looks like it has a very nice back woven edge which makes your Panama an even better score.:eek: Congratulations on a very nice first Panama!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what does a 'backwoven edge' mean?

Not over or under welted but finished the way montecristi hats are: using the straw, no thread at all, to finish the edge. The "Cav" of panama hats. Nice hat, BTW!

ccajackson

Familiar Face
fluteplayer07 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what does a 'backwoven edge' mean?
Flute,
If you're so-inclined, you can read about the whole Panama hat making process from Panama Bob (click on Hat Tour) or from Brent Black.

Both sites are a great way to kill way too much time (and see some excellent hats!) ;)

And James, very nice hat, congratulations!

Cheers!

C-C

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
...using the straw, no thread at all, to finish the edge. The "Cav" of panama hats.

What a cleverly perfect way to sum that up. :eusa_clap

---------------

That panama looks great on you James71, and what's more it looks like it makes you happy. Way to go!

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
James71 said:
Thanks for the compliments guys. Im curious to know, though, what makes it a "brisa"?

James71, Brisa, refers to the type of weave that may have been used in weaving you Panama hat. It is a more open or ventilated type of weave, in other words it lets the air circulate in the crown of the hat.:D I mentioned that it may be a brisa weave because of the picture of you wearing the fine Panama hat. You can detect a little sunlight getting through the brim. It is a great Panama hat and is perfect for the hot Australian weather.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
James71 said:
Thanks for the compliments guys. Im curious to know, though, what makes it a "brisa"?

James,
Panama Bob has some great information about the Montecristi weaves and Cuenca weaves (some of which are Brisas). Be careful, though, time has a way of sprinting by when you're there!

Cheers!

C-C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW