Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My goatskin Cheyenne...after some wear

bobjones

A-List Customer
Tadite said:
The fit of your Cheyenne looks a little bit loser then the one for Jan. I wonder why? Is that because it has been slightly modified to be slightly waisted and is a inch shorter?

The big 3 "overcoat"-styled Aeros (Stockman, Cheyenne, Veste de Rallye) are constructed to be oversized COATS, not slim-fitting jackets like the Highwayman, to fit over a big sweater, or even a sportscoat - think trench coat-style fit. Outside of the pockets and a few small details, I think the 3 styles are pretty much the same.

Jan Solo took a Cheyenne and basically had Aero re-design the pattern/fit, so as to reduce it down into what is almost a leather blazer. He had an earlier Cheyenne in the standard fit - like Sierra's - but as a skinny guy in his 20s (I remember those days fondly lol ) the standard oversize pattern just was too big for him, but his new version in goat looks great.

The fit of my Stockman is in between Jan Solo's and Sierra's - slimmer than the standard pattern but not as slim as Jan's. I WISH it could have been an even slimmer fit, but my gut got in the way :eusa_doh:

The poster above said it correctly, where Aero will build the jacket as slim as you specify.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
It's a shame they won't make any more of these coats in goatskin.

I contacted Aero a couple of days ago and they said they couldn't make me a cheyenne in goat because they didn't have hides big enough.

Tadite

Familiar Face
Daniel Hunter said:
It's a shame they won't make any more of these coats in goatskin.

I contacted Aero a couple of days ago and they said they couldn't make me a cheyenne in goat because they didn't have hides big enough.

That's terrible! That is very disappointing.

What a shame. I wonder what other interesting hides they have in the back room?

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Tadite said:
That's terrible! That is very disappointing.

What a shame. I wonder what other interesting hides they have in the back room?

I believe the seal "jerky" A-2 mid-weight horsehide is a very fine alternative. I have been wearing it for most of this winter and can say nothing but the best about it. It does make the jacket a little lighter, but not much less sturdier as far as I can tell from these first few months.

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Greetings,

As some of you already know I have posted pictures of this jacket before. But due to the fact that there seems to be a constant request for pictures of worn Aeros I decided to take some pics again.

From my point of view during the last couple of months the appearance of the jacket has changed a lot: It used to be heavy as lead, thick as Leopard 2turret armor, and stiff as fibreglass. I never knew that goatskin could be that thick and stiff. But after a month or two of wear...voila. The jacket is still heavy and the hide incredibly thick but it has relaxed a lot. I wouldn't go that far to say it's buttery soft now but it's definitively pliable and comfortable.

When I received the jacket I complained about it being too boxy and roomy. Now the jacket has molded itself to my body and the fit is dead on. The synthetic (overlay) lining holds up very well and shows no signs of premature wear. Please note the beautiful creases and folds on the sleeves.
One thing I noticed is the mottled finish of the goatskin which appears to be more changing than ever (see last pic). I guess this is due to general wear and a couple of light rain showers. I think it really gives the jacket more character.

What do you think?

3966372118_b0b059d2c1.jpg

3965535241_f5707671fd.jpg

3966327972_65c9fc5d94.jpg

3966335744_e030fdeef8.jpg

3965580851_69f32684af.jpg

3965589241_a9155cee0a.jpg

... am sorry, maybe a little late!

In the last picture I like the jacket very good! Must look like a good leather jacket!
It's interesting how the jacket now, two years later looks.

Have a nice day all :)

Lear

One of the Regulars
Sometimes it's simply the shape of your frame & body. I can't explain it clearly, but I've seen people swamped in stock Veste/Stockman/Cheyenne, while others wear the same unaltered coats as trim jackets.

Lear

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Superb jacket Jan!
I hope my modified Stockman which should be ready in the next two weeks (fingers crossed)! looks and fits half as good as your beautiful jacket!

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot