Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My goatskin Cheyenne...after some wear

JanSolo

Practically Family
Greetings,

As some of you already know I have posted pictures of this jacket before. But due to the fact that there seems to be a constant request for pictures of worn Aeros I decided to take some pics again.

From my point of view during the last couple of months the appearance of the jacket has changed a lot: It used to be heavy as lead, thick as Leopard 2turret armor, and stiff as fibreglass. I never knew that goatskin could be that thick and stiff. But after a month or two of wear...voila. The jacket is still heavy and the hide incredibly thick but it has relaxed a lot. I wouldn't go that far to say it's buttery soft now but it's definitively pliable and comfortable.

When I received the jacket I complained about it being too boxy and roomy. Now the jacket has molded itself to my body and the fit is dead on. The synthetic (overlay) lining holds up very well and shows no signs of premature wear. Please note the beautiful creases and folds on the sleeves.
One thing I noticed is the mottled finish of the goatskin which appears to be more changing than ever (see last pic). I guess this is due to general wear and a couple of light rain showers. I think it really gives the jacket more character.

What do you think?

3966372118_b0b059d2c1.jpg

3965535241_f5707671fd.jpg

3966327972_65c9fc5d94.jpg

3966335744_e030fdeef8.jpg

3965580851_69f32684af.jpg

3965589241_a9155cee0a.jpg

Edward

Bartender
That design always puts me in mind of the bigger, harder borther of the Indy jacket. lol Looks great on you. The only goat jacket I have so far is my Aero AN6552, and I love it - really comfy, and it looks great. What are the shoes/ boots? Great colour to them.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
That's a great looking jacket, specially in goatskin.:eusa_clap
Plus, it looks good on you
It's funny, but that's another Aero I never even considered.
But after seeing it on you, I gotta say, I might like one some day too!
I was especially interested in this statement: "When I received the jacket I complained about it being too boxy and roomy. Now the jacket has molded itself to my body and the fit is dead on."
I feel the same way about my Highwayman in FQHH.
I've just started wearing it regularly and it isn't totally comfortable yet.
Just gotta wear it every day I guess.
Thanks for your insight again Jan.
Guten Tag!
Lenny

Tito

A-List Customer
Great jacket Jan and the goatskin looks beautiful and...vintage . But is a cheyenne or.....a Stockman?
The measured on back?

Regards

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Awesome jacket! I love the goatskin and how it's wearing in. I also like the pocket detailing you picked. Looks very vintage. I have been thinking about a stockman off and on for a while. Originally I thought I'd go for cordovan FQHH but the goat looks quite nice.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I think this is one of the best jackets I have ever seen.
As soon as I saw it I just needed to have it.
The lines are clean and the fit is just spot on!
This will never ever go out of style.

I was thinking about the barnstormer as a wintercoat but this one would be much nicer.
If you dont mind i would like to make one with the base in your creation.

I saw it in the first thread some time ago and in the pictures of you wearing it, it looked almost black and I think it would work nice as black...maybe.
Is there a darker almost black version of this hide?

I also would like it to have a very warm lining, so it can be used in the snow. Do you think that would work?

bobjones

A-List Customer
Southernwayfare said:
Cheyenne, Stockman, Veste de Rallye. Am I correct that the difference is basically changes in fit and pocket configuration?

Indeed, though the Stockman is meant to be a slimmer fit than the others, but still an oversized coat - not a jacket.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks Southernwayfare for posting the link to the original post. Thanks for all the nice comments.

I also would like it to have a very warm lining, so it can be used in the snow. Do you think that would work?

Aero Goatskin is only available in seal and russet. Black is available as heavy FQ horsehide, heavy steerhide and mid weight spray finish HH.

The Cheyenne and Stockman are very often sold with a warm blanket or alpaca lining. You could even order that type of jacket with a sheepskin body lining. This option would make the jacket really warm but would also limit it's usage.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks Southernwayfare for posting the link to the original post. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Aero Goatskin is only available in seal and russet. Black is available as heavy FQ horsehide, heavy steerhide and mid weight spray finish HH.

The Cheyenne and Stockman are very often sold with a warm blanket or alpaca lining. You could even order that type of jacket with a sheepskin body lining. This option would make the jacket really warm but would also limit its usage.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Ok

Sheep lining is appealing, but as you say it will make me wear it only the coldest of days.

So how warm is the alpaca? With a sweater between, can I use it in minus degrees? (like -5c)

Sorry to sorta high jack the thread, but I am blown away by the pics of this beautiful garment, and I just need to have something like it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Great item - I love goathide. What does your jacket weigh? I always thought goat was lighter... Wonderful job by Aero, as usual (even if it is too heavy for me to wear... like all their stuff:) )

JanSolo

Practically Family
The jacket (size 38, fits like 40) weighs 2650 grammes, 2.65 kg, approx. 5 metric pounds, 5.8 lbs or 93.4 oz. It's heavy but not ridiculously heavy like some bike jackets.

The jacket will be warm if you order it with an alpaca lining and with a woollen sweater underneath it will be suitable for temperatures below zero But it will never be as warm as a down jacket or a heavy peacoat. The insulation coefficient of bare leather is shit!!!

Tito

A-List Customer
JanSolo said:

The jacket will be warm if you order it with an alpaca lining

Hi Jan, and the common riding lining will be good to heavy seams of goatskin?
Thanks

skippymchaggis

New in Town
That's a great jacket, Jan.

I'm still breaking in my halfbelt (in black), but I keep thinking I would like something in a brownish tone that's a bit longer (not to replace it, but to augment the collection :p ). The seal goat might be what I'm looking for.

Can I ask what sort of closure the pockets have? It looks like there might be hidden snap?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Although the scalloped pocket flap is a custom detail I left the rest of the Stockman pocket as it was - so no hidden studs or buttons. As you can see there is no need for that. The pockets stay well closed all the time.

Tito, I don't know if I got you wrong here but I think any blanket lining would be hard wearing enough for goatskin. My jacket has a heavy cotton drill lining with a rayon acetate overlay for ease of wear and it shows no signs of wear whatsoever. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24