Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relic Hunter : Goatskin or Horsehide?

shadowagent88

New in Town
First time poster here, so be gentle. The title says it all. Which way does the group lean is what I want to find out. Does everyone lean more towards Horsehide or Goatskin for this Bill Kelso jacket? All pros and cons are welcomed information for both leathers. Looking to see if there's info I may not know about either leathers, such as which is best for year round weather, toughness scale for real heavy duty work like crawling in tight spaces, sharp objects and such. Looking to make my first Relic Hunter a monster of a jacket. I thank each and every one of you for your time and your thoughts posted from mind to screen. Now, let the info flood the post!

Goat- drapes better, and It'll last you the rest of your life without looking as if you've been dragged behind a jeep through Cairo. (unless you want that)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Bill Kelso (Pete now, not Andy) also has Badalassi and that striated capeskin.

I think as long as the leather is soft enough in temper, they're good for the Indiana Jones jacket. Goat is most commonly softer and drapes well, hard wearing too, but finishing is mostly towards the muted tone. Most horsehides are stiffer but I've have one Victoria FQHH that drapes like goatskin too. And some Badalassi also drapes well too like most goat.

I would look up all different photos to see which look of leather you like best and go with that one. There is the obvious price difference between the leathers to think about.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Have there been personnel changes at that brand (whomever it is that actually owns it)?
Honestly I don't know. I just got an email from him a while back about the personal change, Andy retired and Pete is the guy now. Lets just say that I took it with a grain of salt.

This is just my personal hunch, that BK is more or less a one man operation like GW and FL, and that he blows a lot of smoke for show. I don't mind the one man operations, they just have longer lead times than the bigger shops.

His jackets are solid though, and he does some designs that others aren't doing. The only reason I am still in the queue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner