Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandfather's Collection of Wartime Cartoons

Haversack

One Too Many
Awareness of the possibility of an alliance between Japan and Germany, (along with Italy), predates the war's outbreak in 1939. The first cartoon here is from April-May of 1939. Beck is Jozef Beck, the Polish foreign minister. After unsuccessfully trying to play Germany and Russia off against each other, he formed the alliance with Britain and France that brought them into the war when Poland was invaded by Germany and Russia.
Tokyo---And Hurry!.jpg
With the US's entry into the war, the alliance between Germany and Japan gets increasing attention.
The Sun That Hitched Its Wagon to a Star.jpg
Wanted---A Traveler's Aid Society.jpg
Mr. Mussolini, I Presume!.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
Here we are back again.
Flyday, the 13th.jpg
Reference the RAF's night-bombing campaign of German Cities.
Target for Tonightmare.jpg
The End of the Trail.jpg
As most of the rest of the cartoons in this collection are after Pearl Harbor, Japan is increasingly the subject.
Just a Feather.jpg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
All Right. This next couple lots are from 1939 to 1941 (pre-Barbarossa) and concern the division of Poland. Tomorrow's will be from the same time and will concern the uneasy alliance between Germany and Russia, (with Italy putting its oar in as well).
View attachment 239765
View attachment 239766
View attachment 239767
View attachment 239768
View attachment 239769

I’m sure there was a song from the era (possibly Western Bros) with a reference to ‘laying Lino down the Polish Corridor’. I’ll check this and report back.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As promised, chaps. The link below should work: Western Brothers, 'Keeping Up the Old Traditions', around 4mins 12 seconds through the clip, which lasts around 9 mins. The Polish Corridor reference is towards the end. If any of you don't understand the more obscure late '30s British references, please feel free to ask or PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ