My Grandfather's Collection of Wartime Cartoons

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Haversack, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

Awareness of the possibility of an alliance between Japan and Germany, (along with Italy), predates the war's outbreak in 1939. The first cartoon here is from April-May of 1939. Beck is Jozef Beck, the Polish foreign minister. After unsuccessfully trying to play Germany and Russia off against each other, he formed the alliance with Britain and France that brought them into the war when Poland was invaded by Germany and Russia.
    Tokyo---And Hurry!.jpg
    With the US's entry into the war, the alliance between Germany and Japan gets increasing attention.
    The Sun That Hitched Its Wagon to a Star.jpg
    Wanted---A Traveler's Aid Society.jpg
    Mr. Mussolini, I Presume!.jpg

seres likes this.
  2. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

The next three here concern the war in Asia with particular attention to Japan's aims in India. The first one refers to the song, The Road to Mandalay.
    Three Dawns Come Up Like Thunder.jpg
    Stranger Things May Happen.jpg
    The Next Rope Trick?.jpg

seres likes this.
  3. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

Here we are back again.
    Flyday, the 13th.jpg
    Reference the RAF's night-bombing campaign of German Cities.
    Target for Tonightmare.jpg
    The End of the Trail.jpg
    As most of the rest of the cartoons in this collection are after Pearl Harbor, Japan is increasingly the subject.
    Just a Feather.jpg

4. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

With the news eighty years ago about the Germany-Japan alliance shaping up, here are a few reflecting that event.
    Order of the Day.jpg
    The Horrible Example.jpg
    The 'Do as Hon. Nazi Say' Game.jpg
    Back Seat Driver.jpg

5. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

I’m sure there was a song from the era (possibly Western Bros) with a reference to ‘laying Lino down the Polish Corridor’. I’ll check this and report back.

6. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

As promised, chaps. The link below should work: Western Brothers, 'Keeping Up the Old Traditions', around 4mins 12 seconds through the clip, which lasts around 9 mins. The Polish Corridor reference is towards the end. If any of you don't understand the more obscure late '30s British references, please feel free to ask or PM me.