Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandfather's Hat

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A lovely story Gene and a great tribute to a great man in your life. Also a great tribute to 'you' sir and says more about 'you' than any words. Well Done.

Cicero

A-List Customer
You have done a great job and thank you for sharing your Family history with us.
Looks fabulous on you.

Gene

Practically Family
Thanks for the comments and kind words everyone! This hat really means a lot to me. My grandpa passed away in 2004 and I was lucky enough to know him well before he died...we were very close and he passed a lot of his knowledge of the "old days" on to me.

Nice job...has some character to it!;)

Good word to describe it! It's as clean as it's going to get, but nowhere near "mint." Gives it personality!

Now my grandpa's other hat is a different story altogether...
IMG_0459.jpg

travk1234

New in Town
I recently "inherited" my Grandfathers fedoras. 2 felt Stetsons, 1 tweed Pedigree Fifth Avenue, and 1 unmarked straw. Luckily all the hats were in my size! The olive/brown Stetson pictured, had a slip of newspaper in the sweat band from 1971. My grandfather died in 1992, and these hats have been sitting in my grandmothers closet since. No moth damage to speak of (maybe due to the mothballs).
BunsFedoras_zpsfcbee5f7.jpg

At the first of the year, I started my current job which I wear a suit, and I think my grandfathers hats are a great addition and tradition. As you can tell, they were worn quite a bit. I am quite proud of them.

Anyway, I wanted to use my 1st post to show off my newly acquired hats.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am sure most would agree, to have something already close to the heart as those hats are, make wearing them even more special. Welcome to the Lounge....stick around it is a great place to be and some real awesome people....(hello Randall)....lol!

MCrider

A-List Customer
Congratulations on having inherited a nice hat collection. The fact that they're your Grandfather's hats should give you that sense of connection with him you'll feel every time you wear one. My Great Grandfather also wore hats and although none survived, several family members have told me that when they see me wearing a hat if reminds them of him. So wear them with pride!

:)

I'm a new hat wearer and have been wearing my older Stetson Open Road daily for the last three weeks. I'm now ready for a second hat.

I think I want to get a clone of my paternal Grandfather's hat. I wore it back in the late 1970s / early 1980s. At one point my roommate's dog ate the bow off the ribbon and poked a couple of holes in it. It became a float-trip hat after that.

It is currently in really bad shape and a bit snug. I don't know the brand (I used to have the liner in a drawer, but haven't seen it in years), but it was from a local department store. Probably a lower tier hat.

The brim is 2-1/2" with a ribbon of 1-1/4". I need a 7-5/8 or 7-1/2 size if anyone has one laying around they no longer wear. I am watching a couple on eBay, but they are a more desirable model and will probably surpass my (low) budget.

Thanks for your consideration,

Bob

The hat currently:

22481161477_8b52039844_z.jpg

22278382093_3eb102de2a_z.jpg

22871998392_1713eea6cc_z.jpg

22467114987_2cc86abb6c_z.jpg

The hat on my head back in 1983:

22620221950_46b9b23366_z.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads