Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandfather's Hat

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
img_0086-jpg.194774

Here’s a fedora that no one is ever going to be able to wear, but I will still proudly display it in my house and on here at the lounge. My 85 year old father proudly gave this to me today. It was his Dad’s hat.
A man who was one of the first Caucasian settlers in the grand Okeefenokee swamp located in southern Georgia not far from my house. It’s the biggest stand alone swamp in the US. My grandfather was one of the prohibition bootleggers who never got caught and continued making his moonshine up until his death at 76. I’m sure if this hat could talk, what stories it could tell! Though my Dad (his son)can tell some of the stories for it.
The man under this hat tirelessly worked his farm and plowed his fields behind the ass of a mule. He was short in stature and when teased he would answer by saying, “Plowing forty acres with a mule will cause anyone to wear their height from the bottom faster than they can grow it on top!”
My biggest memory of him was when I was a young snot I played in the corn crib with a few of his coon hounds and strew his stacked corn cobs all over the place. He whipped me and the dogs with a peach tree switch. He was of the old school sort who didn’t mind spanking his offspring, but I think it made him even more upset that I caused him to have to whip his dogs!
emoji38.png

Has anyone here ever heard of this hat brand? Windsor Club. I haven’t. As you can clearly see, a 6 7/8 hat fits a little tight on me. The moths have done their work, but from now on this hat will be well taken care of.
Have a good evening, folks.
img_0083-jpg.194788
img_0084-jpg.194787
img_0085-jpg.194786

img_0086-jpg.194774

Here’s a fedora that no one is ever going to be able to wear, but I will still proudly display it in my house and on here at the lounge. My 85 year old father proudly gave this to me today. It was his Dad’s hat.
A man who was one of the first Caucasian settlers in the grand Okeefenokee swamp located in southern Georgia not far from my house. It’s the biggest stand alone swamp in the US. My grandfather was one of the prohibition bootleggers who never got caught and continued making his moonshine up until his death at 76. I’m sure if this hat could talk, what stories it could tell! Though my Dad (his son)can tell some of the stories for it.
The man under this hat tirelessly worked his farm and plowed his fields behind the ass of a mule. He was short in stature and when teased he would answer by saying, “Plowing forty acres with a mule will cause anyone to wear their height from the bottom faster than they can grow it on top!”
My biggest memory of him was when I was a young snot I played in the corn crib with a few of his coon hounds and strew his stacked corn cobs all over the place. He whipped me and the dogs with a peach tree switch. He was of the old school sort who didn’t mind spanking his offspring, but I think it made him even more upset that I caused him to have to whip his dogs!
emoji38.png

Has anyone here ever heard of this hat brand? Windsor Club. I haven’t. As you can clearly see, a 6 7/8 hat fits a little tight on me. The moths have done their work, but from now on this hat will be well taken care of.
img_0083-jpg.194788
img_0084-jpg.194787
img_0085-jpg.194786

Great stories, fantastic piece of family history, man. Cherish it!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I wish I had a nice story about my Grandfather's hat, or even my Dad's hat. Unfortunately, all I can relate is the reason that I dislike Stingy Brim hats. I found a couple of cheap Stingy Brim hats in our garage years ago. One was a brown plaid. Dad wore them until well before I was in high school in 1975. I asked why he didn't wear them and he said because Granny (his mother in law) said they look silly. I didn't disagree.

I didn't end up with hats from either grandfather. Grandpa Mike (Dad's) wore Cardinal's ball caps, and Granddaddy Harv's hat probably got tossed when he passed away in 1979. He probably bought the hat during WW2.

Later

Woodtroll

One Too Many
img_0086-jpg.194774

emoji38.png

img_0083-jpg.194788
img_0084-jpg.194787
img_0085-jpg.194786

What neat memories! Thank you so much for sharing the story of your family's hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot