Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandfather's Hat

Among my favorites is a like-new sky blue Mode-edged Stetson bought off OFAS for all of $19.99 plus shipping (I was the sole bidder) from a gal who said it had belonged to her departed grandfather. I believe it, in this case, seeing how she lives near Philly and the sweatband indicates the hat was purchased new from John B's old Chestnut Street outlet. It also has the old guy's initials (presumably) embossed to the sweatband. And there was just something about her that left me with the impression that she's a straight-shooter. I imagine that she was displeased with getting only her minimum bid for the hat, but she never gave any outward indication of it. Indeed, when I sent her a message telling of how happy I was with the lid, she got right back to me, saying how she was pleased that I was pleased and that she hopes a bit of the old guy's "energy" went with the hat.
Now, if only any of my grandfather's hats were still around. I've seen numerous photos of him in proper fedoras (there's a framed one atop my low bookcase), but the hats themselves? Doubt it. Hats had left their place in his everyday attire a couple of decades before his passing, so it's unlikely that any remained in his possession for that length of time.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, would your Grandpa be proud of you. You look fantastic with that hat and it fits you like you were born with it. As Scott said I would not trade such a hat. You my dear man are lucky to have such an item.

BTW you do my look better than me;)

budward

One of the Regulars
two amazing stories and one most excellent restoration. I've often wished for one of my grandfather's hats. He was born in 1909 and died in 1974, and I was too young at the time to care about hats. They're all long since gone. So enjoy that one, both for the beauty that Art's coaxed back out of it but especially for the connection with the guy on whose head it used to ride.

Budman

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Gorgeous hat, and a touching story! Art really is the master - another masterpiece.

I've thought about using the skills I picked up during my brief stint as a hatter to rehab a few of my grandfather's western hats - he's got them in his garage, and I figure he'd enjoy seeing them brought back.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
This is, without doubt, one of the very best threads here.

Wow, Scott, that's a lot of pressure. Thank you for the very kind words.

DOUGLAS said:
Wow, would your Grandpa be proud of you. You look fantastic with that hat and it fits you like you were born with it. As Scott said I would not trade such a hat. You my dear man are lucky to have such an item.

Blessed, indeed.

Douglas said:
BTW you do my look better than me;)

Not a chance--I can't touch the master! ;)

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Wow that is incredible. It makes me want to see if my grandmother still has my granfathers hats around the attic.

From what I have read and now seen with my own eyes Art does a great job.

Gene

Practically Family
My Grandpa's Champ - Brought back to life!

I've had my grandpa's fedora for many many years...as far back as I can remember. I hammed it up during my "neo-swing" phase of the late 90's and wore it during my punk rock years.

The hat itself is a mid-range 1950's Champ thin ribbon. Forgettable among most collectors, not as desirable as a Borsalino or Disney or Stetson, but it means a whole lot to me. It was the last fedora my grandpa ever owned, purchased in the mid-50's and seen in a few vintage photographs.

When I was through wearing it about 10 years ago, the hat was filthy. It had an "open road" style crown I didn't much care for and the brim was bent and ugly. There were mothing spots and other spots of god knows what. I had also outgrown it...it was a 7 1/8 and I am now a 7 3/8. It sat around a closet, gathering dust. Wish I had some before pictures.

So today, I took it upon myself to help out the hat my grandpa gave to me so many years ago. First I slowly stretched it with a vintage hat stretcher. I cleaned it, reshaped it to a center vent with indents, and put the brim back in order (sprayed it with some starch to get it nice and stiff). I took the lining out completely, cleaned it, and then put it back in. I used some saddle soap on the sweatband to get some of the flexibility back.

The final results were better than I hoped for, the hat is now clean and ready for a new life! It's by no means perfect, but it makes no difference to me. I think my grandpa would've liked it!

ghat1.jpg

ghat2.jpg

ghat3.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Last edited:

coble

A-List Customer
what a neat history to this hat. I think it cleaned up really well, your grandpa would be proud.

Gene

Practically Family
I really really wish I had some before pictures so you all could get the complete idea of how bad this hat was!

I have some vintage photos of him with it I will try and get up!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice job, Gene!

Great that the hat is still being worn by one of the family, I hope you get many more years of enjoyment from it.

mattface

Practically Family
Great job on the refurb and a great story to boot. If you haven't already done it you should follow the saddle soap with a conditioner. Otherwise the band will probably dry out.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Absolutely inspiring story, Gene...made me weep a bit. Congratulations on the superb refurb! I am quite jealous that you have your grandfather's hat! One of the motivating factors for me to begin wearing hats was to get a connection with my grandfather that I didn't get to cultivate due to his untimely death when I very young. I hope one day to get one of the esteemed custom hatters on this forum to recreate his favourite work hat (once I find a picture...and the money). Again, amazing work and what a story!

J.B.

Practically Family
W2G, Gene! I'm sure your Grandad is very proud of you, not only for the thoughtful renovation of his hat, but also for your nice recollections of him.

Regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points