Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My great-grandfather in hat, c. 1948

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have been scanning photographs of family as of late, and though people might be interested to see this one. Aside from some very early photos of my great-great-grandfather and great-grandfather in bowlers at the turn of the century, this is the only "hat" photo I've got:

Family_Album024.jpg

Taken in Chicago sometime in the spring of 1948 (probably June, since it's my great-uncle's wedding).

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Great looking hat. They look like a very classy couple.

Cheers!

Dan

I don't know about "classy", they were just working class folks from Chicago. Great-grandpa Conwill was a retired cavalryman and captain of the guards at the Field Museum of Natural History. I do believe they were decent folks, however, and they certainly raised my grandfather to be a great man.

Grandpa Conwill went to college on a basketball scholarship and was a career Air Force officer - I think he single handedly lifted my branch into the middle class. He's my hero and I miss him:

Family_Album.jpg

(To keep things on-topic, you'll note he's also wearing a hat. I've never seen a picture of him wearing a fedora, however, just his WWII service cap, this pith helmet, and flat caps when I was a kid).

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw