Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Hat Collection Display

TipTop

Practically Family
Frank - I have a hat "can" as you describe from years of showing Quarter Horses is western events that required a western hat. They work well as carry on for air travel.
The cans are nice & can stack on each other. Problem is, they don't get along well with regular hat boxes, basically, they have to be on top!
I also have a 2 hat case that looks like a suitcase & has a ring to separate the 2 hats inserted. It stacks okay with my Stetson 100 cases & other hat boxes.

I have several hat cans, one is a double. They work well and offer crush as well as moth protection. They aren't good for "display" though.

While I have your attention GT, one of the more elaborate cans I have (ML Leddy) has a chamber, about the size of a hard sunglasses case, built into the bottom--the underside of the crown support/sizing slide--that is hollow and has a rubber flap on the bottom. I can't imagine what this is, unless it is an indirect ventilation port for a sweaty hat mounted above, inside. Also, I wondered it I could put a couple of moth balls in there for summer storage of the fancy Butch Dorer that resides above?

...While I have your attention GT, one of the more elaborate cans I have (ML Leddy) has a chamber, about the size of a hard sunglasses case, built into the bottom--the underside of the crown support/sizing slide--that is hollow and has a rubber flap on the bottom. I can't imagine what this is, unless it is an indirect ventilation port for a sweaty hat mounted above, inside. Also, I wondered it I could put a couple of moth balls in there for summer storage of the fancy Butch Dorer that resides above?

Never seen that Ray but I go with cedar over moth balls, like the smell much better & get the same effect as far as I can tell.
It could be a place to store a hat brush or sponge for sprucing up the lid before & after being "in the can"....[huh]

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I have three ways of storing and displaying hats in my college dorm, other than atop my head:

1. Home-built hat rack, made from a Striped Maple tree and some foam-covered steel rod. This is a pretty good photo of my room's vintage corner, with the ad reprint and the decór on the desk. Oh, and a certain place on the Internet where I spend a lot of time... ;)
04-13-12_HatStorage_img1.JPG

(By the way, that's a hat-appropriate Garfield comic strip taped to the top of the hat rack.)

2. Command hooks for all my streetcar caps (and the trumpet above them, now that I think of it). There are more scattered about wherever I think they look nice.
04-13-12_HatStorage_img2.JPG

3. Shelves for out-of-season hats. These inexpensive straws are unstacked and made easily accessible because of the recent warm days.
04-13-12_HatStorage_img3.JPG

Holy shamoley, that's not even all of them, and it adds up to... 12 felts, 6 straws, and 5 caps. :eeek: I've really got the hat bug now!

-Steven

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I have several hat cans, one is a double. They work well and offer crush as well as moth protection. They aren't good for "display" though.

While I have your attention GT, one of the more elaborate cans I have (ML Leddy) has a chamber, about the size of a hard sunglasses case, built into the bottom--the underside of the crown support/sizing slide--that is hollow and has a rubber flap on the bottom. I can't imagine what this is, unless it is an indirect ventilation port for a sweaty hat mounted above, inside. Also, I wondered it I could put a couple of moth balls in there for summer storage of the fancy Butch Dorer that resides above?

Thank you guys! I will now try to get on of these. I don´t care too much about stacking (at least now...) but are particular keen on the moth, dust and crush proofness. Also sellers ask outrageous prices for there mere cardboard boxes... :mad:

Frank

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:
I'm curious to see how you fellas display your hats. I usually put mine in boxes on shelves, but thought about leaving a few out to admire. I've seen table top stands, and wall mounted racks. What do you guys do?
Thanks,
TomS

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
IMG_20121117_192620.jpg

These were on this shelf for about 15 minutes. I thought it looked nice but it didn't make the cut.

Edit: I cropped the tv, lamps, and tools out on photobucket. It shoes up right on photobucket but they are still there when I post here.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I put mine back in the box between wearings. My wife tolerates this addiction, but I don't think she'd embrace it. :)

Aaron

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
The only time I display a hat is when I am wearing it; otherwise I put it in a hatbox. I do not have a wife. I have a problem the military gave me, everything has a place and everything must be in it's place disorder. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy