Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my imagination or did i wake up in the wrong time

59Lark

Practically Family
UPDATE ON THIS MISERY.

YES THIS IS woodstock ont, and today they arrested a couple for the murder 0f that little girl. Now there is relief that the murders are caught, but the allegation is that they murder her on the day on her kidnapping and for a month we have been looking for a dead person. The search is one for the body in guelph ont in a rural setting. The numbess that which this affected my girls, the outrage that someone would take such a life is immense. The general consession here is we must get out of this city and leave the misery of this kind here in the city. We know that the country is not perfect but there is no crack house on the road that i want to buy on really. We would want to buy a small place in a amish farm area. Really, sounds weird but that want i want to do. even before today 59LARK:(

59Lark

Practically Family
we need to change conditions for amber alert.

We in my small city in ontario have been overwhelmed with the murder of a small child, who was kidnapped on her way home from school. The accused are a couple of people who are known drug users, losers who for whatever reason never made to back to a normal decent life and began a downward sprawl and ended up at this crossroad and a little girl paid for it and we are still searching where he buried her. MY family is worn out with the media that has descended on our town like vultures flying over the bodies in the field. That is the lasted update. 59LARK.:eek:fftopic:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
59Lark said:
When i was growing up, the world seemed so much different, a mans word, and his reputation was king, i once got a job simply because my father and his brothers had such a reputation for hard work that simply being their offspring was enough.

Just to clarify things, I think a few posters misread what 59Lark wrote here. He did not refer to the past being a man's world, but wropte that a man's word meant something.

I'm shocked to hear about the murder of that little girl, Lark. I just understand how anyone could do soemthign like that. It especially rends my soul now I've got a little one of my own.

Chas

One Too Many
There was no such thing as "The Good Old Days". Kids went missing and were killed by strangers and their parents "back in the day" as well. That doesn't mitigate the tragedy, but it's a fact. It happened in my hometown back in the 1960's, and there was an infamous murder case in 1947 in Vancouver, where a woman killed her two kids in Stanley Park. It was known as the Babes In The Woods Murders. (They were found in '53, but had been murdered in '47.)

For some people, the "Good Old Days" were the "BAD Old Days".

black-civil-rights-demonstrators-attacked-by-police-water-hose_-birmingham-alabama-may-1963_jpg.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family
Chas said:
There was no such thing as "The Good Old Days". Kids went missing and were killed by strangers and their parents "back in the day" as well. That doesn't mitigate the tragedy, but it's a fact. It happened in my hometown back in the 1960's, and there was an infamous murder case in 1947 in Vancouver, where a woman killed her two kids in Stanley Park. It was known as the Babes In The Woods Murders. (They were found in '53, but had been murdered in '47.)

Things like that have been happening through out history. It isn't a part of the past, present, or future, it is simply a part of the human condition. Kidnapping, murder, theft, rape, is the negative aspects of being in a community, the only way to completely avoid it is to become a hermit. That said I believe people didn't deal with it as much "in your face" style in the past, as they do know. Do to the modern 24 hour news media, and the simple fact that there are more or us in closer areas living with each other, it is easier to see, and harder to avoid.

As far as the black community goes, I have cousins who are black (they don't like being called African Americans so it's the term I'm using) and many of them talk glowingly about the "good old days", as much as us whites (I don't like the term European American) do. Then again although racism has always existed (and by always I mean throughout mankind's exist. Going back to tribes, and tribal survival) out and outright violence towards blacks wasn't common in certain area. Indiana, the South, parts of Boston is understandable, but even in the "good old days" there where places in the west, and north where blacks were if not accepted, tolerated for the most part. Where violence wasn't a part of their lives. My cousins come from this community of blacks. None of there great grandparents were lynched, or attacked, and their family was very close, families stayed together to help each other out. It isn't till you get more into the modern age (especially after the 1960's) where you see the black family start to disintegrate. Sadly today in the modern age was when my cousin was abandoned by his father, and was raised with his brother solely by her mother. Something that is sadly more common now then it was in the "good old days". Looking back at their family history into the 19th century, it wasn't until this modern age that such a thing happened. Surviving through all the horrors of slavery, state racism, depressions, and recessions, it took the modern age to break up their family.

Another one of my favorite stories comes from economist Thomas Sowell (Born June 30th 1930). Who talks about growing up during the Depression in Harlem, and how even during those dark days of the Depression were people had far less money, and were people tended to be less formally educated, he slept outside on the fire escape so he could watch the stars, and how he never felt threatened. Well today where there is much more money, and people with more education, there isn't anyone who would do what he did as a boy now.

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
Fedord Spaniard said:
Im under 25 and I know what you mean...it seems like most of the world just gets trashier and more immoral through each passing day. Unfortunetley its only going to get worst.. i believe it is the fate of the this world to get to the lowest low before God steps in and straightens things out. Just hang in there and never give in to the evils.

Haha, under 25 ? i'm under 18 and i agree with you exactly, i could not have said it better.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with drinking at 15, I like a beer now and then too myself and did at 15. But these people I mentioned are the type that binge drink, not just enjoy a little bit. As for the smoking, it's even illegal at their age so I don't think it's as acceptable these days. So while I agree that many teenagers go through an awkward phase, I think it's more than just a phase for these people; given the chance these are the sorts of teenage muggers/murderers you can read about in the papers (English papers that is, I don't know about American ones). I'm not being overdramatic, since English loungers will agree with me about how dangerous these "chavs" can be.

Again, don't be put off visiting England from what I say, like all places there are good and bad parts.

EDIT: another thing which really bothers me is vandalism, again by these "chavs". So often the same bus shelter I pass every day is smashed. It costs the council money, which indirectly costs the population. And worse for me, I cycle and I don't want flat tyres as that too costs money to repair.

I can completely relate. I walk eight children to and from school past a bus stop that has always been smashed. There is glass all over the floor and foul words that I don't want to have to explain to the boys sprayed all over the bits they couldn't break.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I was born in 1987. I'm 21 years and 11 months old.

I've always recieved numerous comments that I was born 100 years too late. And frankly, I agree. I should've been born in July, 1887!

I love and live and breathe history. Anything and everything about it fascinates me.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I too was born some 60 years too late and find myself angry with todays youth. I live in an upper middle class city with a population of about 80,000 and people think it's so wholesome but it's not. Most of the kids here have drug problems, don't work and just spend their time driving aimlessly around town. It's a shame that i have such a dislike for where i live. We have a curfew that isn't enforced. Graffiti is out of control and it makes the otherwise pretty city look like terrible. I don't have an issue with graffiti ART, but i have a problem when children just spray paint random letters and names or just plain old squiggles on someones freshly painted white fence. I personally am glad that my parents didn't allow me to loiter at the mall or associate with less then reputable people. Looking back, i used to deem my parents strict, now i deem them loving.

It's a shame that there is a "generation gap" between the kids in my generation. I can't relate to todays music or fashion (baggy pants?! flat billed hats?! RAP MUSIC?!?!?!?!) and i'm glad that that makes me who i am.

BRING BACK THE DAYS OF LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!

59Lark

Practically Family
Last update till the trial date.

Finally a hundred days after she was taken, the body of the little girl tory, was found on seldon used road in mount forest in mennonite country. The family can soon as the coroner is finished bury their little girl. The only thing left is justice and the trial and that will take a year or more at least. The trial will most likely be somewhere else. This town would hang them, and justly so. I like most would like to see an end to this, and i can help but saying again this was drug related even if only that the criminals are drug users. I pray that no one else goes through what this family did, knowing that it happens far too often today. Hoping and praying for a better world for our children 59Lark.

December

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
"Council House And Violent" or "Capped Hooded And Violent".

I never knew that's what it stood for! I hope it's the second one, seeing as I've lived on council estates since the age of 8 ;)

I think a lot of people look back on the past with rose-tinted specs on (Myself included!) Especially the thing about child abductions- statistically, there are no more now than there were 50 years ago. It's just more widely reported, so people believe that there is danger at every corner.

People will always think "what is the world coming to". There is a quote from, I believe, Homer that is essentially saying the same thing. (I'll try and find it). In 50 years time from now, people will look back at the 2000s and think we lived in an idyllic world.

ETA: I posted this before I saw your last post 59Lark. I don't want anyone to think I was being insensitive, and I certainly wasn't criticising what you had written. I'm very sorry for Tory's family, and I hope that they get the justice they deserve.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
December said:
I think a lot of people look back on the past with rose-tinted specs on (Myself included!) Especially the thing about child abductions- statistically, there are no more now than there were 50 years ago. It's just more widely reported, so people believe that there is danger at every corner.

Such news sold a lot of papers in the past as well --

330912R.jpg

361230.jpg

Rhian

New in Town
December said:
People will always think "what is the world coming to". There is a quote from, I believe, Homer that is essentially saying the same thing. (I'll try and find it). In 50 years time from now, people will look back at the 2000s and think we lived in an idyllic world.
There's a quotation attributed to Socrates that might be the one you mean:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Or this, attributed to Hesiod:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint."

Spearmint

New in Town
It doesn't matter the size or location of the town. In the last 18 years in towns with populations less than 900 and 800, I have seen several gruesome murders, suicides at popular tourist attractions and the waterfalls down the street.

Most of my classmates have come to school drunk or high. Several students were arrested during school hours the last month of school, and despite having to take parenting to graduate a very high teen pregnancy rate.

No matter the time we live in horrible things are always going to happen and will sadly always be a part of human nature. Living in the 40s or 50s isn't going to change anything no matter how bad many wish it was true.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
Things like that have been happening through out history. It isn't a part of the past, present, or future, it is simply a part of the human condition. Kidnapping, murder, theft, rape, is the negative aspects of being in a community, the only way to completely avoid it is to become a hermit. That said I believe people didn't deal with it as much "in your face" style in the past, as they do know. Do to the modern 24 hour news media, and the simple fact that there are more or us in closer areas living with each other, it is easier to see, and harder to avoid.

As far as the black community goes, I have cousins who are black (they don't like being called African Americans so it's the term I'm using) and many of them talk glowingly about the "good old days", as much as us whites (I don't like the term European American) do. Then again although racism has always existed (and by always I mean throughout mankind's exist. Going back to tribes, and tribal survival) out and outright violence towards blacks wasn't common in certain area. Indiana, the South, parts of Boston is understandable, but even in the "good old days" there where places in the west, and north where blacks were if not accepted, tolerated for the most part. Where violence wasn't a part of their lives. My cousins come from this community of blacks. None of there great grandparents were lynched, or attacked, and their family was very close, families stayed together to help each other out. It isn't till you get more into the modern age (especially after the 1960's) where you see the black family start to disintegrate. Sadly today in the modern age was when my cousin was abandoned by his father, and was raised with his brother solely by her mother. Something that is sadly more common now then it was in the "good old days". Looking back at their family history into the 19th century, it wasn't until this modern age that such a thing happened. Surviving through all the horrors of slavery, state racism, depressions, and recessions, it took the modern age to break up their family.

Another one of my favorite stories comes from economist Thomas Sowell (Born June 30th 1930). Who talks about growing up during the Depression in Harlem, and how even during those dark days of the Depression were people had far less money, and were people tended to be less formally educated, he slept outside on the fire escape so he could watch the stars, and how he never felt threatened. Well today where there is much more money, and people with more education, there isn't anyone who would do what he did as a boy now.

Tiller, just found this, and I believe that what you've written is essentially true. There has always existed violence, corruption, hypocrisy, and the like, and I believe any educated person knows that. However, I also believe that a case can be made that during certain periods of history, in different locales, there have been decreases in the manifestation of evil. Whether one wants to extol or vilify the Romans, there was a Pax Romana, where most of the "Western" world enjoyed a general peace for about 200 years. In Calvin's Geneva of the 16th century, it has been recorded, there was a marked decline of at least visible sin, due to the preaching of the Gospel and strongly enforced laws. In recent US history, to which your reference to Sowell alludes, one could leave the keys in the front door or the ignition of the automobile, sleep on a fire escape, use underground walkways and restrooms (I remember!) or even leave a stroller with baby outside of a store and not worry the least (especially in smaller towns). As to your comments about the decline of the Black family in the US, you're right on the money. It took, among other factors, the well-intended Great Society ideals of the Johnson Administration, along with later Welfare practices, to figuratively emasculate Black men, make them virtually dispensable members of the family, and cause many of them to leave the home. And this happened after the so-called Golden Age (of which many Blacks do speak glowingly). Yes, more money and education have not always brought more enlightenment.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Fedord Spaniard said:
Im under 25 and I know what you mean...it seems like most of the world just gets trashier and more immoral through each passing day. Unfortunetley its only going to get worst.. i believe it is the fate of the this world to get to the lowest low before God steps in and straightens things out. Just hang in there and never give in to the evils.

This is sort of what my sis and I were talking about a few days ago. That, when people say the end of the world is coming, it doesn't mean an apocalypse or something of that nature, but rather, the end of the world as we knew it...No more kindness or respect... all important qualities / feelings that humans are capable of, will be gone.

Feathers

Familiar Face
I don't wish to repeat what you've all said, I just wholeheartedly agree.

I just thank my stars that you're all here, I feel a little less isolated and morose. At least we have each other!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Feathers said:
I don't wish to repeat what you've all said, I just wholeheartedly agree.

I just thank my stars that you're all here, I feel a little less isolated and morose. At least we have each other!

You're right. Although many of us have never met, we are a type of community, here not only to enlighten and entertain each other, but to support as well.

Foofoogal

Banned
I needed to read this thread again today.
I do believe the one factor in yesterday and today is drugs. This one factor has to of had the greatest negative affect on the last few generations. Makes me incredibly sad to speak to people I know or knew over my lifetime that drugs have robbed them of the whole persona of who they used to be. There may of always been drugs back into centuries ago and I do know about opium and stuff but I refuse to believe the numbers were as high way back as now.

I only state this here now as like Feathers this little faux community does help at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo