Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My leather jacket database.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
The chrome tannage from Lost worlds (which trives in the rain) is black core for black hh, and the russet core is light brown . Its not blue
Have to disagree. They are not the same because one is chrome tanned and the other is veg tanned. Creases developed would be very different, teacore vs blue core etc. Pretty significant difference to some, probably not a big deal to others.

Have to disagree. They are not the same because one is chrome tanned and the other is veg tanned. Creases developed would be very different, teacore vs blue core etc. Pretty significant difference to some, probably not a big deal to others.

If you mean Shinki vs. LL lighter hide - No, no. I'm not saying they're the same. Not at all. Just that they feel similar in weight. LL 3 oz feels a bit more substantial but all I mean is, if one finds Shinki wearable, LW's lighter hide shouldn't be a problem.

Hh121

Banned
LW's website is obnoxious, but not so off putting as to preclude patronage of the brand.

I would love to own a LW jacket, but the weight of his HH exceeds my personal preference. I know many here love very heavy leather and I applaud your commitment. That said, these leathers do not work for me. I thought about LW's deerskin, but even that appears remarkably heavy. Does anyone know otherwise? How does the LW deerskin compare to the weight of Vicenza HH?

I incorrectly thought that Stuart made the jackets himself. How many machinists does he employ and what role, if any, does Stuart play in the construction of new jackets?
Just one, according to him and I don't know his role, probably just typing emails.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The chrome tannage from Lost worlds (which trives in the rain) is black core for black hh, and the russet core is light brown . Its not blue
Chrome tanned, undyed leather is a pearl grey with a faintly bluish tint. The blueish grey is the coloring caused by the chromium salt . I am not sure but I think LW doesn't use combination tan and if it is simple chrome tanned, the black or light brown is the dye thru or the second layer of dye and not the core.

Last edited:

Blackadder

If you mean Shinki vs. LL lighter hide - No, no. I'm not saying they're the same. Not at all. Just that they feel similar in weight. LL 3 oz feels a bit more substantial but all I mean is, if one finds Shinki wearable, LW's lighter hide shouldn't be a problem.
My bad. A misunderstanding. Chrome tanned and veg tanned are simply different and I am not saying one is better than the other. It is easier to get chrome tanned jackets though and I also own more chrome tanned jackets than veg tanned.

I did have a russet LW A-2 and a black J-23 and I still own a russet LW Ryder. I sold the two LWs simply because they are too big. I kept the russet Ryder but I don't really wear it anymore because there is something wrong with the pattern. I believe it was made for the Japanese market therefore has a slim fit body which fits me perfectly but LW seems to have forgotten to narrow the armhole and taper the sleeves so the sleeves are huge and out of proportion. LW makes great jackets with standard Western fit but I would be hesitant to say they are the best or best for value seeing that Cal Leather and Langlitz are in the same price range.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
is blue core a thing now:eek:? people want their jacket fades to blue? my personal view of course but... nothing looks good fade to blue unless another darker blue. I rather have one struck black through and through or brown through and through

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Russet core
Chrome tanned, undyed leather is a pearl grey with a faintly bluish tint. The blueish grey is the coloring caused by the chromium salt . I am not sure but I think LW doesn't use combination tan and if it is simple chrome tanned, the black or light brown is the dye thru or the second layer of dye and not the core.
L.w. drum dyed for maximum dye penetration, all the way through i was told

Blackadder

is blue core a thing now:eek:? people want their jacket fades to blue? my personal view of course but... nothing looks good fade to blue unless another darker blue. I rather have one struck black through and through or brown through and through
But for the peeling, the Lewis leather will fade naturally with a hint of blueish grey. When you look at it from a distance, it just seems lighter in color in certain area. So no, it isn't like it will turn completely blue.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lewis-leathers-star-lightning-premature-wear.99098/

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
ooh, I know it started like bluish corpse after they rid off the hair and stuff, but that's before further tanning done like dyeing and adding oil right? I see chrome tan leather can be dyed light color like sand, beige, or tan too with similarly dyed through color, sometime the pigmented top coat can be different, i thought if it visibly fade to blue then it might be deliberate? perhaps? I bet most vintage jackets are chrome tanned, yet none of them fade to blue.

I just opened that LL jacket thread, that's weird and looks dark teal underneath, I have bought a sheet of chrome tanned goat unfinished and (unoiled?) it was meant for leather painting so the surface is raw with no coat, it was pretty much white with only slight tone to green-blue / colder tone.

Last edited:

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
Aero Leather, Grizzly, Size 40, 2018:

Pit to pit: 25.5”
Back length: 25.5”
Front length: 21.5”
Bottom hem: 19.5”
Shoulders: 20"
Arms length:26”

Weight: 2.61kg / 5.75lb

beULYBv.jpg

IptfihY.jpg

sq6f3C3.jpg

Review: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-leather-grizzly.95411/
this Grizzly looks gorgeous

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Updated weight list (all size 42):

Thurlow Leatherworld (deer): 1,51kg / 3.32Lb
ELMC Californian: 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb
Langlitz Cascade: 1.77kg / 3.91lb
DC J-100: 1.80 kg / 3.98 lb
Lewis Leathers 551: 1.94 kg / 4.25 lb
Schott 644: 1.95 kg / 4.31 lb
Lee Storm Rider: 1,97kg / 4.35Lb
Lewis Leathers Universal Racer Mk2: 2,03kg / 4.47Lb
Metropolitan Uniform CO. PJ27: 2.08kg / 4.58lb
DC JH-1: 2.09kg / 4.61lb
Schott B3: 2.11kg / 4.66 lb
Golden Bear Deck Jacket: 2.16kg / 4.77lb
RMC JH-1: 2.21kg / 4.87lb
Himel Chevalier: 2.23 kg / 4.93 lbs
Schott 613H: 2,24kg / 4.94Lb
Aero Bootlegger CXLFQHH(brown): 2.31 kg / 5.09 lb
Schott 621: 2,41kg / 5.31Lb
Frewheelers San Mateo: 2.5kg/ 5.5lb
Langlitz Columbia: 2.50kg / 5.56lb
Schott 602: 2.53kg / 5.59lb
Aero Bootlegger CXLFQHH(black): 2.55 kg / 5.63 lb
Legendary USA Trojan Horse: 2.56kg / 5.64lb
Aero Leather Grizzly: 2.61kg / 5.75lb
Freewheelers La Brea: 2.61 kg / 5.76 lb
AL Cafe Racer: 2.72 kg / 5.66 lb
Apparel Annex CHP: 2.73 kg / 6.03lb
Legendary USA J-24 HH: 2,76kg / 6.08Lb
Vanson Swedish Rider: 2,79kg / 6.16Lb
Vanson x Left Field Commando: 2.89kg / 6.37lb
Oje malung Swedish Rider: 2,90kg / 6.40Lb
Vanson CHP2: 2.90kg / 6.39lb
Lost Worlds J-23: 2.98kg / 6.57lb
Lost Worlds Leathertogs: 3.44kg / 7.58lb
Vanson Chopper: 3.60 kg / 7.95 lb

Last edited:
...this is a bit strange. You sure your scale is okay? B-3 at 2 kg? These jackets should be massive! Avirex I had over 3 kg. That yellow trucker I wear is 2.5 kg or so. Pretty heavy.

Also, my Speed Demon is little over 4 kg. Why is it so much heavier than the Leathertogs? It's got more hardware and a hardened kidney panel but shouldn't amount to as much.

Natal was also little over 4 kg, the first one being closer to 5 kg. I know when I was sending the jacket to Ton, the scale was at 4.2 kg. With the box but that's a beastly jacket. I know I couldn't tell whether it was LW that was heavier or Natal.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
...this is a bit strange. You sure your scale is okay? B-3 at 2 kg? These jackets should be massive! Avirex I had over 3 kg. That yellow trucker I wear is 2.5 kg or so. Pretty heavy.

Also, my Speed Demon is little over 4 kg. Why is it so much heavier than the Leathertogs? It's got more hardware and a hardened kidney panel but shouldn't amount to as much.

Natal was also little over 4 kg, the first one being closer to 5 kg. I know when I was sending the jacket to Ton, the scale was at 4.2 kg. With the box but that's a beastly jacket. I know I couldn't tell whether it was LW that was heavier or Natal.

Scale is ok, i just controlled it with a weight and it is accurate (the weight i used is around 1.250kg and the scales give me readings between 1.260 and 1.270)

Did you use a real accurate scale to get these numbers or your bathroom/cooking scales? Cause the old "weigh myself without the jacket, then weigh myself with the jacket and do the math" method really doesn't work!

XLBCGgb.jpg

Scale is ok, i just controlled it with a weight and it is accurate (the weight i used is around 1.250kg and the scales give me readings between 1.260 and 1.270)

Did you use a real accurate scale to get these numbers or your bathroom/cooking scales? Cause the old "weigh myself without the jacket, then weigh myself with the jacket and do the math" method really doesn't work!

XLBCGgb.jpg

Huh..! Used a post office scale and that one's gotta be good. I know about the LW because I asked the nice lady working there to weigh it and the scale showed 4 kg just as the jacket began unwrapping. But the box it arrived was like 4.something, too.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Huh..! Used a post office scale and that one's gotta be good. I know about the LW because I asked the nice lady working there to weigh it and the scale showed 4 kg just as the jacket began unwrapping. But the box it arrived was like 4.something, too.

My Leathertogs arrived in a box that weighs 1kg (990gr), so it was 4.5kg boxed, 3.44kg unboxed.
I have another jacket sized box here that is slightly thinner and weighs 750gr.

If your SD was 4. something kg boxed i doubt it actually is as heavy as you think it is unboxed...
Same for the Natal, if it was 4.2kg with the box it was max 3.5kg unboxed IMO

You should get a small scale like mine, it was around a tenner on eBay and its worth having IMO.

red devil

I haven't tested my scale like @Carlos840 (I will do it because I am curious), but looking at my numbers:

Lost Worlds Buco J-24 Black Horsehide 3565g
Lost Worlds Speed Demon Black Horsehide 3620g
Lost Worlds Trojan Green & Navy Moose hide 3780g

All size 44, the leather on SD is thicker than the J24

Edit: It is a hanging scale as well

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I haven't tested my scale like @Carlos840 (I will do it because I am curious), but looking at my numbers:

Lost Worlds Buco J-24 Black Horsehide 3565g
Lost Worlds Speed Demon Black Horsehide 3620g
Lost Worlds Trojan Green & Navy Moose hide 3780g

All size 44, the leather on SD is thicker than the J24

Edit: It is a hanging scale as well

This confirms one thing to me:
People who don't have scales usually think their jackets are much heavier than they actually are.

@JMax ,care to weigh your LW and add to the list? I'm sure i remember you saying you were getting scales too.

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
Updated weight list (all size 42):

Thurlow Leatherworld (deer): 1,51kg / 3.32Lb
ELMC Californian: 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb
Langlitz Cascade: 1.77kg / 3.91lb
DC J-100: 1.80 kg / 3.98 lb
Lewis Leathers 551: 1.94 kg / 4.25 lb
Schott 644: 1.95 kg / 4.31 lb
Lee Storm Rider: 1,97kg / 4.35Lb
Lewis Leathers Universal Racer Mk2: 2,03kg / 4.47Lb
Metropolitan Uniform CO. PJ27: 2.08kg / 4.58lb
DC JH-1: 2.09kg / 4.61lb
Schott B3: 2.11kg / 4.66 lb
Golden Bear Deck Jacket: 2.16kg / 4.77lb
RMC JH-1: 2.21kg / 4.87lb
Himel Chevalier: 2.23 kg / 4.93 lbs
Schott 613H: 2,24kg / 4.94Lb
Aero Bootlegger CXLFQHH(brown): 2.31 kg / 5.09 lb
Schott 621: 2,41kg / 5.31Lb
Frewheelers San Mateo: 2.5kg/ 5.5lb
Langlitz Columbia: 2.50kg / 5.56lb
Schott 602: 2.53kg / 5.59lb
Aero Bootlegger CXLFQHH(black): 2.55 kg / 5.63 lb
Legendary USA Trojan Horse: 2.56kg / 5.64lb
Aero Leather Grizzly: 2.61kg / 5.75lb
Freewheelers La Brea: 2.61 kg / 5.76 lb
AL Cafe Racer: 2.72 kg / 5.66 lb
Apparel Annex CHP: 2.73 kg / 6.03lb
Legendary USA J-24 HH: 2,76kg / 6.08Lb
Vanson Swedish Rider: 2,79kg / 6.16Lb
Vanson x Left Field Commando: 2.89kg / 6.37lb
Oje malung Swedish Rider: 2,90kg / 6.40Lb
Vanson CHP2: 2.90kg / 6.39lb
Lost Worlds J-23: 2.98kg / 6.57lb
Lost Worlds Leathertogs: 3.44kg / 7.58lb
Vanson Chopper: 3.60 kg / 7.95 lb
Bloody hell Carlos! Where do you store so many jackets?! :eek:
That is a crazy cool collection!! :)

My Leathertogs arrived in a box that weighs 1kg (990gr), so it was 4.5kg boxed, 3.44kg unboxed.
I have another jacket sized box here that is slightly thinner and weighs 750gr.

If your SD was 4. something kg boxed i doubt it actually is as heavy as you think it is unboxed...
Same for the Natal, if it was 4.2kg with the box it was max 3.5kg unboxed IMO

You should get a small scale like mine, it was around a tenner on eBay and its worth having IMO.

No, no, it was just the jacket, bunched up in a ball, placed on a post office scale. Came out at a breath over 4 kg. Let's say 4 kg. Natal was 4.2 kg with the box, can't say how heavy it really was but Tony say it's one of the heaviest jackets he's ever had. My first Natal, the cafe racer, that thing was 4.6 kg and that I had a chance to check several times. I never, EVER had a jacket that heavy and nothing that even got close. It was also one of my favorite jackets in the world and I deeply regret moving it. It was badly made though sturdy as a tank but the leather was just... It was something else.
Anyway, while none of my Vanson jackets proved to be all that weight-wise, the SD is definitely a beastly jacket. Like I said, I think it's the kidney panel and the pockets are lined in heavy denim but regardless, it's still very heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ