Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Aero A2-38-1711-P in FQHH

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Ho Cole!

Looks good! Much better after worn in.

A question concerning the contract:

The 1938 contract is said to be really trim fitted, but your jacket doesn't look too tight, just great!

Is it the original contract 1938 or was it customized?

Thanks and kind regards,

Johannes

Schöne Grüße nach Deutschland - hatten übrigens heute in Salzburg auch bestes (Jacken-)Wetter!

Cole

One of the Regulars
A question concerning the contract:

The 1938 contract is said to be really trim fitted, but your jacket doesn't look too tight, just great!

Is it the original contract 1938 or was it customized?

Thanks and kind regards,

Johannes

Hi Johannes,

as far as I understood it we took the standard size 46 jacked and added a little to the sleeves and body length. I too thought, that the jacket would fit much trimer. But I told Amanda I wanted to be able to wear a medium thick pullover or turtleneck underneath on colder days. Maybe that's the reason she recomended a size 46 instead of a size 44 (which I normaly wear).

Or they have accidentally switched patterns. Hmm...maybe I should send Amanda a picture and ask. :confused:

Best regards
Oliver

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
awesome

Cole,

Does it get any better? Your first A-2 and it is a homerun. The second set of pictures sets off the color. The collar has relaxed, a perfect fit.
Prost
John

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Cole: WOW love the jacket and the fit. If I ever get an A2 I hope it turns out like yours. Nice job.

Cole

One of the Regulars
There is news about this jacket. I did send it back to Aero today.

Ever since I put it on for the first time I had the nagging feeling, that the jacket is to big or better said to roomy.

The 38-1711-P is supposed to be a very trim fiting jacket and the jacket I got, as beautiful as it is, didn't fit that description.

I first thought the fit might change once the jacket is broken in a little and has moldet to my body form, but it turned out I was wrong. So I finaly took some meassurements of the jacket and it showed, that the pit to pit meassurement was 65 cm / 25,6". According to the correspondence with Amanda that is the pit to pit meassuremend of a true size 46 42-15142-P and the 38-1711-P in size 46 should be a few cm trimmer.

I did also send the pictures I posted here to Amanda, which didn't realy visualize the fit problem. So I took and send the following pictures, which show me in my thickes pullover (I shouln'd be able to wear that thing under that jacket) and a ball of my daughter.

a2-baby1.jpg

a2-baby2.jpg

I look like my pregnant wife. :)
a2-baby3.jpg

a2-baby4.jpg

Now Amanda and Will where able to see the problem and suggested to send the jacket back, so they could tapper it.

To be honest I don't have the slightest clue what tappering a leather jacket means exactly. :confused: Is it a reduction of the pit to pit meassurement? Any understandable explanation would be highly welcome.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I guess they mean to taper the jacket down one size from below the armholes. You look like you have a significant drop between shoulder/chest and waist. They probably didn't follow your measurements and used a stock pattern instead of making a hybrid pattern (e.g. size 46 shoulders/chest and from below the armholes size 42). I had the same problem with my first 1930s Halfbelt. The shoulders are fine but the jacket body is much too loose fitting for my waist size.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Tapering means removing some of the leather around the waist, so that the fit is a bit trimmer.

I find that a lot of British clothes in larger sizes are cut to accommodate a belly, so if you're a bit slimmer they hang badly. The A2 is (I believe) a boxy cut in any case.

jksu

Familiar Face
have to agree with the others that it's a fantastic looking jacket.

i'm not particularly into exact repro a2s either - they usually look too short and the russet color goats don't look as good to me as say your aero brown fqhh.

good to include the zipped and side view pics because just from the front unzipped view the fit does look quite good. but yeah, you probably would benefit more from a 46 top, 44 torso modification. i personnally would liken extra inch in the sleeves too but if you're ok with the length that's what's important -- the wool trim helps provide some wiggle room.

just out of curiosity, in case i ever buy a new aero and have a fit issue, besides paying shipping, does aero charge a fee for the mods? or because perhaps they didn't exactly follow your specs, it will be free?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Cole, I hope that the tapering works. However from my experience, I think it's a bit of a challenge getting things right after it's made. My Cheyenne was huge, so Aero tried to taper it in. It fit better in the body, but the shoulders/arm holes got screwed up in the process. I tried to love it, but ended up selling it.

After that experience, I try to stick with the standard pattern and only modify the length of the jacket/sleeves. I would bet that a size 44 would fit you very well.

I was going to stop posting pics, but here's one of my re-done 1938 GW. I think it came out pretty well. I added 2 inches in length (Butte was right ;)), but still very fitting.

a2front.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
@HighandDry
Very nice jacket. That is the fit that I was expecting.

@jksu
We didn't talk about the costs of the alteration yet, but since the mistake clearly happened on Aero's side I don't think they will charge anything for it.

wild_balls

Practically Family
That is one beautiful jacket you got there! Congratulations! You have to go through a lot of jackets before you find the right ONE!

Cheers Joakim
Cole, I hope that the tapering works. However from my experience, I think it's a bit of a challenge getting things right after it's made. My Cheyenne was huge, so Aero tried to taper it in. It fit better in the body, but the shoulders/arm holes got screwed up in the process. I tried to love it, but ended up selling it.

After that experience, I try to stick with the standard pattern and only modify the length of the jacket/sleeves. I would bet that a size 44 would fit you very well.

I was going to stop posting pics, but here's one of my re-done 1938 GW. I think it came out pretty well. I added 2 inches in length (Butte was right ;)), but still very fitting.

a2front.jpg

wild_balls

Practically Family
THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL JACKET YOU GOT THERE! You have to go through a lot of jackets to find the right one!!!

Cheers, Joakim

a2front.jpg

Lungomare

A-List Customer
There is news about this jacket.

(...)

Now Amanda and Will where able to see the problem and suggested to send the jacket back, so they could tapper it.

To be honest I don't have the slightest clue what tappering a leather jacket means exactly. :confused: Is it a reduction of the pit to pit meassurement? Any understandable explanation would be highly welcome.

I guess it will be difficult to do a tapering, because you can't make the chest smaller and leave the rest as it is. And if you taper the body runningly from the armpits down to the waist you will get the body tighter, but then the pockets move back and loose their correct position.

So better get a remake with the contract ordered ...

Regards,

Johannes

Cole

One of the Regulars
So better get a remake with the contract ordered ...

After exchanging some more emails with Amanda this will be exactly our way to proceed. We both recheck the meassurements and then Aero will make me a new jacket, that will hopefully fit better this time.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
After exchanging some more emails with Amanda this will be exactly our way to proceed. We both recheck the meassurements and then Aero will make me a new jacket, that will hopefully fit better this time.

Well I know this procedure better than I really appreciate it ...

Johannes

Sir Jacket

Practically Family

Yeah, that's the way to go (although I did just return my Stockman to have the armholes widened slightly and longer arms put on, and it fits a lot better now). I also second HighandDry's remark above about not messing with the basic pattern: things just go wrong.

(One thing I'm less crazy about, though, is people's habit of rubbing out their faces on the forum pics! Looks kinds sinister. What's to hide, guys?)

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
You're doing the right thing Cole. I rember the whole reason you wanted the 38 was because you didn't want a baggy fit. Tailor fitted jackets look and feel way better. Nice work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass