Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Aero Route 66

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
It's abeautiful jacket! When I see it, on the upper body it fits nicely, but in the waiste it is too tight, because your side-straps are more than 100% open. That's also the reason why it folds up over your waiste.

Don't agree, I think the straps just haven't been cinched up in the picture, they're hanging loose and therefore doesn't look right. As for being "too tight on the waist" that is the style of the jacket, it fits like a "jean jacket". I bet the jacket has relaxed quite a bit by now giving a better looking fit all over.
I really like the pocket treatment, cuffs, bi-swing back and colour of the leather.
I suppose a slightly flared hem might work better as suggested but I'd jump on that jacket regardless!

Last edited:

Mark P

Familiar Face
Hi, I'm glad to hear I helped you a bit in choosing the jacket. I really like the pocket closures, which will stop the pockets gaping. The lining I really like too. I've had colour transfer from my Route 66 to lighter leather covered furniture. I guess this may be due to traditional tanning methods. Don't sit in light leather car seats. I presume this problem will sort itself out in 30 years or so, when the jacket is well worn!

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Here is the thread upon which my philosophical inquiry about pre-aged Aeros is based. The real question: Is the Route 66 jacket lumpy in front? Hmmmmmm. . . .

Last edited:

UWEZ

New in Town
I think that some people should have some self-reflection, before they order a jacket with a snug fit for an athletic type of body. Of course most of the trim cut Aero jackets will not fit for the common couch potato. On top of this most of these nice Aeros are presented with awful shirts/sweaters/hodies/pants etc.and then the question is raised how these jackets look like???
But this is only my humble opinion & observation.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Here are some pics of the jacket after a couple of years...

The leather is a lot more relaxed now, though if it's not worn for some time, it becomes somewhat stiff again...but the stiffness will disappear as soon as it gets worn. There is still a degree of puffiness, however, due to the stiffness of the leather. I never gave it any treatment to break it in - just through wearing it - and it's not fully broken in yet! The graining I thought is awesome, especially on the left arm. I'm surprised the crown zipper lasts this long :)

Route66_001.jpg

Route66_002.jpg

Route66_003.jpg

Route66_007.jpg

Route66_005.jpg

Route66_008.jpg

Route66_009.jpg

Route66_011.jpg

Route66_004.jpg

Windward

Practically Family
The leather is a lot more relaxed now, though if it's not worn for some time, it becomes somewhat stiff again...but the stiffness will disappear as soon as it gets worn. There is still a degree of puffiness, however, due to the stiffness of the leather. I never gave it any treatment to break it in - just through wearing it - and it's not fully broken in yet! The graining I thought is awesome, especially on the left arm. I'm surprised the crown zipper lasts this long :)

Hi Blethook - thanks for the pics its great and this is exactly what we like to see - I got the same amazing Vintage brown FQHH - since mine have developed very similiar "dry spots" I've tried Pecard and the result is as good as I expected - will show it in the Windward thread next.
Thanks Windward

blethook

One of the Regulars
Thanks Winward. Yours look just like mine in terms of wear, grain, etc.

It's taking me a couple of years of wear (granted I don't wear it every day as I have other jackets) to "tame" Aero's FQHH. Incidentally this is my only FQHH jacket.

I think the fact that it's in vintage brown colour really helps accelerate the breaking-in process. I have never applied any oil on the leather. I don't think it requires any, yet.

Perhaps another set of photographs in a couple of year's time & see if the zipper's still working?

Hi Blethook - thanks for the pics its great and this is exactly what we like to see - I got the same amazing Vintage brown FQHH - since mine have developed very similiar "dry spots" I've tried Pecard and the result is as good as I expected - will show it in the Windward thread next.
Thanks Windward

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket and great fit. Particularly like the pockets. Enjoy and please keep posting pics as it breaks in.

Thanks.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mark...You were one of the inspirators for the Route 66. A few years ago you could get an original Crown zipper from Aero for an extra £50. I doubt that you could get one these days...

Hi, I'm glad to hear you are pleased with your Route 66. I really like the vintage zipper you've got on it.

Man these things get so nice with hefty abuse! I remember first taking the plunge and being told to wet it, beat it, etc. and thought people were nuts! The proof is in the pics! Nice jacket...

nevadapd

Familiar Face
I think one of the really great things about this forum is seeing these great jackets new out of the box, and then a couple of years later. I've got a new jacket coming from Aero (not a Route 66, or even modified - just a stock Teamster). Nonetheless, I will try to do the same. Thanks, blethook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran