Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Aero Route 66

blethook

One of the Regulars
Well, looks like the wait is over... and yesterday my Aero Route 66 finally arrived...

Order was placed at the end of June, and jacket was finished 1st week of September, which is not too bad considering Aero's been really busy...

It's a size 38 regular with a few modifications which were inspired by photos I've seen in the Outerwear section...

Thanks to Van (HoosierDaddy) & Mark P. who made themselves available to bounce ideas, share pics, etc.

Here are some initial pics (Vintage FQHH which is not as cardboard-like as the regular FQHH, but still stiff and heavy!!)

Front side...
AeroRoute66_Front01.jpg

AeroRoute66_Front02.jpg

AeroRoute66_FrontFlat.jpg

Backside...
AeroRoute66_Back02.jpg

AeroRoute66_Back01.jpg

It's fitted with a NOS Crown zipper...
AeroRoute66_ZipLining.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy the pics, and I'm going to be busy breaking it in I am sure...:D

Erwin

bobjones

A-List Customer
There are 2 things that stand out to me as being particularly well designed on the jacket; one is the overall fit as the front accoutrements are almost irrelevent, you could have put slash/patch pockets or any other kind and the overall torso portion would be "just right." They nailed the sizing on your frame.

The second is the sleeves, which look excellent as they are slimmer fitting than the Hwyman, for instance, which I mentioned in another thread. The leaner sleeve fit gives the jacket a very nice flow and sleeker look.

Fenton

Familiar Face
Great jacket! just out of interest ... how pliant is the vintage horsehide? does the jacket still stand up by its own, or is it more relaxed? my new highwayman (non-vintage) is stiff as hell and will have to take quite some beating :p
will put up some pictures soon

cheers

blethook

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind responses...

Let's see if I can answer the questions...

The lining is made of wool (Tartan). The lining pattern is called Douglas weathered Tartan. The term "weathered" basically means the colours of the lining are subdued...You can actually ask Aero for any pattern you want - anything that's available on this site: www.lochcarron.com.

Here's a pic of the lining:

AeroRoute66_Lining.jpg

Actually this is not the lining I really want...I wanted something like the lining on the Eastman Hartmann, which is more brown than green....[huh]

Re pliability: Yes, it is pliable, but still stiff...you can tell it's stiff by looking at the pics (look at the "floating" collar). Based on the sample I can tell the vintage is less cardboard-like than the standard FQHH. Amanda told me that the vintage FQHH went through a tumbling process (in a washing machine?) to make it less cardboard-like but thickness is the same... it is still a FQHH.

My main worry is the discolouration of the hide...There is a tag warning about the possible loss of colour due to the tanning process used...I'm worried about it staining my furniture and car seat... I have seen discussions on the subject from time to time, so it must be true...

Interestingly the elbow areas have already lost some of the colour due to rubbing & scuffing...So soon the rest of the jacket will do the same...

Thanks again
Erwin

JanSolo

Practically Family
Marvellous jacket! Fit, colour, leather, details...everything is perfect. And I LOVE those pockets!

It's true what bobjones said about the sleeves. They look like they are based on the 1930s Halfbelt pattern with American style cuffs. Very sleek and stylish looking.

Did you supply the zipper yourself or is it a NOS ziper from Aero? How much was it extra?

Once again:eusa_clap

Jan

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
piranha said:
Why is it though that Aero doesn't use storm flaps/placards more often to reduce wind through the zippers?

Some styles have them - check out the HG-5. I'm sure you could also work with them to get what you want. The ability to customize to your taste is certainly one of the best aspects of buying from Aero.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket. The leather looks just like the Cheyenne I got this summer - same vintage brown FQHH.

I'd be interested to hear the details of the modification you requested.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Let see if I can answer the additional questions...

Modifications done:
  • Zipper: NOS Crown (self supplied since Aero seems to have run out of NOS zippers). Obviously they don't offer their usual warranty on the zipper since it's not one of their own.
  • Sleeve design: From the standard strap+buckle design they use on the Route 66 to the American Engineer's design (which also allowed me to add the hidden storm cuffs)
  • No internal windflap (the standard comes with one a la G-1 jackets)
  • Lining: Special ordered lining pattern (no extra cost).

I honestly like Lenny's Common Riding tartan pattern better since it appears to be closer to the Eastman Hartmann lining pattern but I didn't know about it before... [huh]

Re the stiffness of Vintage FQHH: Not as cardboard-like as the standard FQHH and the jacket can't stand on its own...

Nonetheless the weight I am sure is the same as the regular FQHH...I guess the sheer weight of the jacket prevented them from putting the leather hanger tab on the jacket?

Thanks
Erwin

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice jacket, I really like the style and the color and the fit is spot on too. If it can't stand up by itself, straight out of the box, then it should break in pretty quickly.

Many congratulations on another great Aero - enjoy!

Cheers

PoohBang

Suspended
I really like the cut of that jacket. The only thing I'd be worried about is those button pockets. Seems like that would be an easy place to brush against something and pop those off...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner