Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New AF Jazzman Derivative

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
OK - here's the deal. For my newest hat I really wanted to have just one more Work of Art...and again went through the website and the various galleries, etc. So, as it happens, I fell deeply madly & truly for the Jazzman. I know I'm not the only one of us with that affliction. Others have made their confessions. We know who you are...etc.

Well, I saved up and kept on looking at the photos and talked to Art and we made just a few little tweaks here and there. I kept the 6" crown (and it even came out with a respectable reverse taper (joy) but adjusted the brim to 2 1/2" and have it dropped both front and back, let him do that combo bash thing he does up on top and let him talk me into what he called a "peanut brittle" colored ribbon (but I added his now signature insert, I think that the color is Ivory).

I'm thinkin' it turned out pretty spot on. As I know you all will start whining and sniveling about photos and all, I'll just post 'em now. I don't have a good one of me wearing it...but my little girl (who was going to a dance) wanted me to wear it while I dropped it off! Sweet!

x1pdXMbD-RMMPw1-6Fr7qUazKj07Fp0MK91aIsmN1Pcep_cAH9LY2tUiSoI9lPQ_rhoKe2Y4--neKfcbbbWxdRJOUoaWjzmt0pgVbpejzCeupM

x1pdXMbD-RMMPw1-6Fr7qUazKeudOapth3wygXbp7nubLzDvJWguX10nONENjDmUZtEUzpFzWHn0w-Hc8q7nFMKqEI5ZTIqAyUxUJRigx1x1rM

x1pdXMbD-RMMPw1-6Fr7qUazGUopa2aBQ29lhywiiMRwl8n72h384HkhYAZuAA3yjDIfgKNXMhc4tFDFL7ZzJfkgTK4R2fIUrg3he_R8IDl6Ks

x1pdXMbD-RMMPw1-6Fr7qUazDozuibe87f9E-VcleHO3x8WyFp7jHzUSy81QEDcGuyqs4fH2tUPQDgubRGNTQ63ZQyiod1UcO2LpFuRbTLXYhw

vonwotan

Practically Family
Excellent Hat! I really like your variation on the Jazzman theme. It look greats on you too.

Now you've really got me jonesing for my new AF Jazzman variant... I've only just returned the conformer to Art.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Blackhorse, that hat looks terrific on you! Congrats! Question -- Do you normally wear a turndown brim in back, or did you just decide to do it for this hat? I'm a big fan of this look, although I think it is fair to say that most Loungers tend to go with the brim up in back.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
What a wonderful hat! Beautiful color combination, great style on you!

A "Work of Art" is on my wish list for hopefully later this year.

Cheers,
Tom

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Thanks all of you for your kind words, we are indeed a kind and mutually supportive society. I must share that in my first hat (the avatar) with AF I stumbled around in terms of design and dimensions but thanks to Art there was a solid and respectable outcome. And though I love it, what came in the mail was different than what was in my mind's eye. The new one, perhaps because the Jazzman was so close to the ideal I was working toward, is just "right there" in all regards. Folks, only you would appreciate this I'm sure...but when I opened the box and gently lifted the hat out I'm sure I had a significant physical reaction...gasp...eyes watering slightly...and everything. Jeez - what's WRONG with us?!? [huh]

maxhogan - my (new) avatar is wearing my other AF. A charcoal number with lower crown and wider brim that I call the "Dark City" - it's my spin on the detective fedora. People comment kindly when I wear it out and about...as opposed to current reactions to the NEW one (wherein people swoon with joy and lust lol )

jim - down in back as well as the front is my preferred style. It's often difficult to get the brim to bend to my will up close to the hat body, but AF has a way if he knows at the getgo of making the "fall line" nice and straight.

weegee - 6" is the crown on the Jazzman too, at least the specs on Art's site say it is, and not a design change I did. The visual impact of a 6" crown compared to, say, the 5 3/4" on my avatar seems far more than I expected. I am surprised and pleased. I hadn't realized that even 1/8" more or less in either crown OR brim would make so much difference.

vonwotan - w-hat are you gonna do? AF has your conformer...so may we ask what your plans are in terms of design?

Thanks again for sharing my excitement. :cool2:

vonwotan

Practically Family
So far my plans are to stick pretty close to the original Jazzman. Being rather short with a narrow face and long neck, I usually stick with smaller brims and low crowns. The one change I have asked for was a slightly lower crown. This will still be considerably higher than most of my hats. The higest being a vitage Borso with a 5" crown, most are 4 1/2 inches or less. I'll let you know if anything else changes after speaking with Art.

:eek:fftopic: Another thread asked "What do you look like." Friends and other guests have seen the Egan print on my wall (my avatar) and asked whether it is me - I look quite a bit like my avatar - including build... As you can imagine, an big brim or certain shapes look a bit out of place on a noggin like mine.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
It sounds like you're well on your way to an excellent design that compliment's your style well. One personal suggestion: (and this is just "me") I believe that the Mojave felt, being so light and yet "rich" in it's color...is well enhanced by the dual color bow treatment that Art does. The insert (or whatever Art calls it) adds to and compliments that "aged ivory" color - or just perhaps seems to be very appropriate for it, and Art can make suggestions as to what might work well with ribbons of varying color. Compare my photos to the ones on Art's site, but I like my bow far more (as well I should). Just a thought. Have fun!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you for the kind words and for the post Blackhorse. Its funny, but in my shop the hat looks so much weaker without a person under it. Looks great on you Sir!!

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Yes, well a man sporting another nearly new WOA would know that kind of thing. BTW - AF referred me to photos of yours to explain some kind of hatty thing I was a little daft in comprehending. I think it was the color, or something like that. I was extremely impressed with your design and color combos...the deep navy (wasn't the bow something like that?) is really snappy with the Silver Mist (I think that's right) felt.

This one is the first of my AF hats wherein the brim felt is sans any stiffeners or whatever process that involves...my point being that it's just as soft as a...well, you know. I don't think I can go back. :) Addictive only mildly expressed the condition.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Blackhorse

Please expand your comments on the "combo bash". I may be missing something, but cannot see it in the photos. Very nice lid, my man!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

vonwotan

Practically Family
Blackhorse - Art's art arrived yesterday and couldn't be nicer. I'm already planning a summer hat with the warm (50 deg.) weather we are having...

We wound up keeping things more or less the same with a slightly lower crown. I posted photos is a separate thread, but here's the side view. The lower brim makes the ribbon look a bit wider.

416690326_3660b0cffd_m.jpg

Blackhorse said:
It sounds like you're well on your way to an excellent design that compliment's your style well. One personal suggestion: (and this is just "me") I believe that the Mojave felt, being so light and yet "rich" in it's color...is well enhanced by the dual color bow treatment that Art does. The insert (or whatever Art calls it) adds to and compliments that "aged ivory" color - or just perhaps seems to be very appropriate for it, and Art can make suggestions as to what might work well with ribbons of varying color. Compare my photos to the ones on Art's site, but I like my bow far more (as well I should). Just a thought. Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy