Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Akubra Federation

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Qwkslvr said:
I'm about 5'9" tall, and weigh in at 165+. After all the great reviews about the federation, I'm certainly wanting one, however; I'm wondering if this hat is just plain to big for me. Any thoughts?

You can always trim the brim. I had to trim 1/4 inch off mine.
Bob.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bit the bullet this evening and ordered a Federation in tawny fawn...popped for the express shipping so with any luck, a box from that other Oz should be arriving in the Emerald City (Seattle) by the end of the week. I was going to try to hold out for the new Adventurer hat - David Morgan's exclusive from Akubra that's close to the Federation - but that's supposed to be a couple months off at best. That's a replacement to the one they had a month or two ago - when I checked before running up to give it a look and probably buy, I found it had been pulled - I assumed it was a little too close to the Hats Direct exclusive. But today I figured getting a notice from the bank of a mistake on a deposit in my favor meant that I should immediately spend it, right?

Oh great...Morgan's now changed their website to say "coming soon" - well, it's dark brown anyway and I wanted more of a tan... and there's always Christmas and my birthday rolling down the pike if I really feel I have to have an excuse (other than I want the darn thing!) to get one.

Barb

One of the Regulars
Congrats!

Can't wait to see the pics of you wearing it!

Mike in Seattle said:
I bit the bullet this evening and ordered a Federation in tawny fawn...popped for the express shipping so with any luck, a box from that other Oz should be arriving in the Emerald City (Seattle) by the end of the week. I was going to try to hold out for the new Adventurer hat - David Morgan's exclusive from Akubra that's close to the Federation - but that's supposed to be a couple months off at best. That's a replacement to the one they had a month or two ago - when I checked before running up to give it a look and probably buy, I found it had been pulled - I assumed it was a little too close to the Hats Direct exclusive. But today I figured getting a notice from the bank of a mistake on a deposit in my favor meant that I should immediately spend it, right?

Oh great...Morgan's now changed their website to say "coming soon" - well, it's dark brown anyway and I wanted more of a tan... and there's always Christmas and my birthday rolling down the pike if I really feel I have to have an excuse (other than I want the darn thing!) to get one.

Mike in Seattle

Well, I took the hat and aforementioned coat along last weekend on a jaunt to Port Angeles. It's a 3 hour drive...or 3 hour trip if you drive & take the ferry. The plan was some pix on the ferry and some pix around town since it's got some great old buildings & scenic views. Paul was doing a concert with the symphony (Beethoven's 9th) and headed over Thursday, with my riding over with a friend "early Saturday." Long story short...said friend picked me up about 3 hours later than intended and she wanted to drive around instead of take the ferry, so very little sightseeing time around town that afternoon. And then I left the camera in her car after the concert Saturday night when we all went out for dinner, and she buzzed home early Sunday (before I noticed it had gone missing) to catch a flight out on vacation. So I can't download the pix from my camera until she's back, and I missed getting shots on the ferry on the way home. But, getting pix on a ferry isn't THAT hard to do up here.

But in any event, I snapped a couple quickies with the camera in my laptop. Not the greatest quality, and I'm still playing around with the bash. But you can see how the hat's a perfect match for the coat.

hat1.jpg

hat-coat.jpg

Mike in Seattle

I was trying for teardrop without much luck, but I've settled for now (and looking at the pix, they don't really show it) with David Morgan's "Indy" bash which is pretty much center crease with two big "pinches" at the front. I'll keep working on the teardrop...

And I came up with a great way of steaming by happenstance. I had to open the dishwasher mid-cycle the other night to move something the spray arm was knocking into and as I opened the door, a big cloud of steam came out, and I thought, "Hmmmm, this is way better than using the tea kettle..." to steam the whole hat.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Qwkslvr said:
I'm about 5'9" tall, and weigh in at 165+. After all the great reviews about the federation, I'm certainly wanting one, however; I'm wondering if this hat is just plain to big for me. Any thoughts?

Me too, the same size. I tend to prefer a smaller 4inch crown. I'm on the fence despite all the good things I've read.

duggap

Banned
Hey Mike in Seattle, that was a nice tip about the dishwasher. I have a hat I want to change the bash on so I am going to try that very thing.:)

Mike in Seattle

duggap said:
Hey Mike in Seattle, that was a nice tip about the dishwasher. I have a hat I want to change the bash on so I am going to try that very thing.:)

Yeah, it just hit me that all that steam wafting out at one time would do a pretty good job of evenly steaming the hat, and then I could just the tea kettle for zeroing in on any area needed a little more dampness to make the felt more maleable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner