Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Akubra Fern Green CEO is here!

Barb

One of the Regulars
Fedex arrived 35 minutes ago! Aaron's does a nice job of packaging and the hat is gorgeous. Quick pix:

ceo3.jpg

ceo1.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Barb!
I know how ya feel Barb...Until you can get your hands on a number of different hats, it's kinda hard to compare it to anything else. Though you can see/feel the difference between the two Akubras you have. I have an Adventurer and a Snow River...the last is rock solid...and the adventurer is soft as butter compared to it. Yet I know that an old Borsolino would make me rethink what soft is....If ya get my drift...:D

Kathy

New in Town
Akubra

Are you sure that is fern green?

Looks more like Black/grey!

I am thinking of getting one in this colour but have no images of that hue.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

Great lookin' hat, Barb!

And it came FedEx? I often have trouble getting things sent FedEx. In fact, there's something on order from Miller Hats that's just left the FedEx depot in Utah. Umm, a western gambler-style hat offered at a deep discount, if memory serves. I just hope that Lady Luck smiles on that gambler hat's eventually delivery to my door the way she smiled on you today!

Barb said:
I've been reading things like 7x - 10x etc, which seems to be some defining quality for felt. I wish someone would point me to explanations/give an explanation of what that means.

The more X's, or so the theory goes, the higher the quality of the felt. You know, as in the higher the percentage of beaver fur vs. rabbit?

There's no International Society for the Certification of Felt, however, with a universal set of meanings for exactly what it means when a hat has a certain number of X's. One maker's 50X will be another maker's 10X, and so forth.

For some makers, it's more a sign of how much hand-work went into the job, or how fancy the hatband is, or how much the hatmaker wants to pay off a re-roofing job on their house.

If you know a maker's products well (and probably few folks would unless they worked in the hat trade), you can presumably figure out what that maker's X's mean. Otherwise, it's a lot less helpful. [huh]

At least, that's how it looks from where I'm sitting.

Kathy, welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Cheers,
Mark

Barb

One of the Regulars
Hmmn, it is definitely Fern Green

I took really quick pix. I'll see if I can get slightly more true to color and post another.

Kathy said:
Are you sure that is fern green?

Looks more like Black/grey!

I am thinking of getting one in this colour but have no images of that hue.

Barb

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliment

I think this hat would look good on just about anyone. I love the color. It's great with all my camel hair colored jacket/coat and my walnut leather blazer. And also my peach and apricot colored sweaters and so on.

Razzman said:
Great looking new lid Barb. You wear the hat very well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I really like the fern green color.

Barb

One of the Regulars
thx for the explanation of "X" ratings

Mark, I had guessed it was thickness or softness. I guess if I need a rating on a hat, the best advice will be from folks here in the FL.

(Fedex is a joke. The stickers on the outside box told the tale of mis routing. The local depot here had marked it "priority" delivery and the driver translated that as being his very last stop of the day. (And I live 1.5 miles from their dispatch terminal!))

tandmark said:
Hiya,

Great lookin' hat, Barb!

And it came FedEx? I often have trouble getting things sent FedEx. In fact, there's something on order from Miller Hats that's just left the FedEx depot in Utah. Umm, a western gambler-style hat offered at a deep discount, if memory serves. I just hope that Lady Luck smiles on that gambler hat's eventually delivery to my door the way she smiled on you today!

The more X's, or so the theory goes, the higher the quality of the felt. You know, as in the higher the percentage of beaver fur vs. rabbit?

There's no International Society for the Certification of Felt, however, with a universal set of meanings for exactly what it means when a hat has a certain number of X's. One maker's 50X will be another maker's 10X, and so forth.

For some makers, it's more a sign of how much hand-work went into the job, or how fancy the hatband is, or how much the hatmaker wants to pay off a re-roofing job on their house.

If you know a maker's products well (and probably few folks would unless they worked in the hat trade), you can presumably figure out what that maker's X's mean. Otherwise, it's a lot less helpful. [huh]

At least, that's how it looks from where I'm sitting.

Kathy, welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Cheers,
Mark

Edward

Bartender
Barb said:
(Fedex is a joke. The stickers on the outside box told the tale of mis routing. The local depot here had marked it "priority" delivery and the driver translated that as being his very last stop of the day. (And I live 1.5 miles from their dispatch terminal!))

I always hate that. The Royal Mail isn't perfect, but I've had no end of hassle with private couriers. I always seem to be the last stop of the day, and more often than not they either don't show up at all, or show up at 7pm at night after I've waited in all day for a delviery between 8am and 6pm. Serious nuisance. I have to admit I will actually think twice nowadays before I'll order anything that will be delviered like that. Occassionally I have used the office address which can be handy (as long as you know they'll delvier between 9 and 5, and on a weekday...), though I don't like to do that too often. Eh well.

The hat looks superb - nice shape. What's the brim like on the CEO - if I recall correctly, it's not a snap? Crown looks similar to the Federation - how does it compare in size? Great hat, you wear it well.

Barb

One of the Regulars
CEO is perfect shape "as delivered" for me

No snap brim. The crown is 4 1/4-ish so shorter than the Fed, but I creased/bashed my Fed so that the look is actually pretty similar (I bashed the Fed before receiving the CEO). The CEO has a nice large brim, which I like. The Fed is dimensional but also is a good look for me (I think so anyway).

If I could get a RED "bashable CEO or Federation type lid" with a wider ribbon, I'd be in Hat Heaven <G>.

The best of the delivery companies here is DHL in terms of service. My DHL driver (a nice woman who has been on the route 4 years plus) often stops here "first" on leaving the terminal after filling her van. I have been known to give her coffee "to go" on cold winter mornings. She will also read notes I leave on my door on "signature required" stuff. If I have something valuable, and my car isn't in front of my condo, she has been known to call my cell to see if I'm the office (which is 1.5 miles from here and on her route).

Edward said:
I always hate that. The Royal Mail isn't perfect, but I've had no end of hassle with private couriers. I always seem to be the last stop of the day, and more often than not they either don't show up at all, or show up at 7pm at night after I've waited in all day for a delviery between 8am and 6pm. Serious nuisance. I have to admit I will actually think twice nowadays before I'll order anything that will be delviered like that. Occassionally I have used the office address which can be handy (as long as you know they'll delvier between 9 and 5, and on a weekday...), though I don't like to do that too often. Eh well.

The hat looks superb - nice shape. What's the brim like on the CEO - if I recall correctly, it's not a snap? Crown looks similar to the Federation - how does it compare in size? Great hat, you wear it well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou