Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new B-15 by Pike Brothers

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Hi all,

May I present to you all my latest acquisition - the Pike Brothers B-15 via Aero.

After taking delivery of my absolutely awesome B6, I was keen add another jacket to my collection that I could wear on a more daily basis. I tried the Avi Lthr G1, but sadly it didn't work out and I will be returning that soon.

On then to the other jacket I had my eye on - the B-15. I have always liked this style, mostly because it is a versatile, practical design that still looks "modern" to most eyes. Eastman do some terrific versions, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to spend nearly £700 on a cloth jacket and wait 12 weeks for the privilege. Instead, the Pike Bros B-15 sold at Aero Leathers (and other stockists) looked like a better choice at a very reasonable £240. So I thought I would give it a shot...and I'm glad I did!

The jacket is VERY well made for the money. Tag says it's made in Turkey. The mouton collar is genuine and feels lovely and soft and looks to be in the correct colour. The lining is in grey wool (rather than alpaca used on the real thing) and it feels pretty sturdy, perhaps slightly itchy if I'm honest! The exterior is made from 100% cotton with a slight satin finish, and it feels very hard wearing yet relatively light weight. The colour is classed as Olive, but depending on the light looks more green - Eastman's jackets on their website show the correct colour, and this looks the same. The details are all pretty accurate too - sure, the Eastman versions have the correct popper snaps and minutiae details, but they cost more than double the price of this. In short, it's more than accurate enough.

Sizing was a bit of a concern, given that others on this forum had had trouble with Pike Bros products in the past. This fits me pretty much perfectly, surprisingly so - I am around 220 lbs, 6"3 and I went for a large (usually I would be a 46 or an XL, so these run big?). The jacket fits trim and looks great, whilst being very comfortable. No room for a sweater under here, but since it's lined in wool you're basically wearing one all the time!

The only minor gripe for me is that the sleeves are perhaps 0.25/0.5 inches too short upon reflection - however, they feel fine to me and the rest of it fits well, so I'm not going to bother sizing up to an XL just to rectify this. The knits will probably stretch a little over time anyway...and at 6"3, I can't really complain!

In short, I HIGHLY recommend this jacket. I had no real expectations of it, but it has turned out to be a real winner. If you're after a B-15 or just a warm, hard wearing jacket then definitely give this a look!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Great choice meachamlake. I'm beginning to wonder if your my English alter ego, I have this jacket too!!

Pike brothers gear is pretty awesome. I have a number of their products including he C2 sweater, goes great with the B6. Their denim is top notch too.

Garry

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Great choice meachamlake. I'm beginning to wonder if your my English alter ego, I have this jacket too!!

Pike brothers gear is pretty awesome. I have a number of their products including he C2 sweater, goes great with the B6. Their denim is top notch too.

Garry

Haha, no way! Well there you go, great minds think alike (or something to that effect). :D It's a cracking jacket, I'm really pleased with it. Sadly it hasn't exactly won favour with both my girlfriend ("That jacket is horrible. What's with the offset zip and those weird triangles?") and my mother, who thought the mouton collar was "hilariously wimpy looking". Imagine if I tried lobbing that criticism at things they wore...! :D

The C2 is a really nice looking sweater, been considering one for a while too...I suppose I should ask you what size you bought and how it fits?

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Unfortunately these comments are what you sometimes have to deal with when wearing our kind of gear. I'm lucky, I have a wife who loves retro and likes most of my stuff although she does laugh at my jacket habit sometimes. Trick is to wear your gear in a "f@ck em all" manner (or a respectful version for your mum & GF), wear what you like.

My C2 is an XL. Fits well in my opinion happy to post a shot if your interested.

How are you for boots? Jackets are usually followed by boots, denim, watches and gloves! Get saving.

Garry

Cocker

Practically Family
@MeachamLake , this jacket is really looking great on you! The sleeves don't strike me as too short, and the fit is pretty trim. Can you tell me what's your usual sleeve length, and what's the one on the jacket? Same for the body... I'm actually 6'4" and roughly your weight, and have been tempted by the PB B-15 too!

By the way, I get the same comments as you from my girlfriend regarding the general styling? She's not at all in vintage, and doesn't quite like my Aero A-2, among other things. The worst offense is my 8 pannel flat cap. I'm sure she would burn the thing down if she wasn't afraid of the strike back! :cool:

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
@MeachamLake , this jacket is really looking great on you! The sleeves don't strike me as too short, and the fit is pretty trim. Can you tell me what's your usual sleeve length, and what's the one on the jacket? Same for the body... I'm actually 6'4" and roughly your weight, and have been tempted by the PB B-15 too!

By the way, I get the same comments as you from my girlfriend regarding the general styling? She's not at all in vintage, and doesn't quite like my Aero A-2, among other things. The worst offense is my 8 pannel flat cap. I'm sure she would burn the thing down if she wasn't afraid of the strike back! :cool:

Sure Cocker, I will get those measurements for you later today to confirm!

Haha, I got the same reaction when I had my A2 also! I think these vintage designs look pretty great - and it's not like I wear period clothing head to toe, far from it - but somehow she just doesn't seem to "get" them. The thing that really makes me laugh though is that we were out shopping last week and she saw a jacket in Mango that she loved ("Omg, it's so cute!" or words to that effect). The irony was that it was a flat out rip off of the A-1 flight jacket! Why are women so confusing, eh...

MeachamLake

A-List Customer

Okay, so the back length is approximately 25.75 inches and the sleeve length is 26 inches - both much shorter than I would dare order in a leather jacket, but I think this is because cloth drapes differently.

The thing is...after having worn this jacket for a good day...now I'm not so sure if it is the right size for me after all. It feels great when stood still, but upon reflection I could do with a little extra room for a layer underneath if required...and possibly a smidgeon more in the shoulders. It's when moving around and walking about you notice these things. If only I hadn't removed the tags - I would definitely like to try an XL, as I think it could be better for me personally even if it's not as trim fitting.

Therefore, if anybody fancies a basically B-15 in a size large that has been worn for a single day...hit me up with a PM.

Cocker

Practically Family
Indeed that seems pretty short! The pictures you posted earlier are a good fit indeed, but as you say, it's when you're moving around that you'll know for sure if the jacket is right for you, not before.

Now, for sure, an XL would not be as trim fitting, but I don't think it would look too baggy neither. It's worth a shot!

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
That’s a shame, I think the fit is perfect and is how I would like a jacket to fit . Anyway , each to they’re own and if your not happy you’re better offloading it.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
That’s a shame, I think the fit is perfect and is how I would like a jacket to fit . Anyway , each to they’re own and if your not happy you’re better offloading it.

Yeah, I do like a trim fit on my jackets but after wearing it for a whole day yesterday I just felt like I could do with an extra inch here and there, particularly in the shoulders and on the sleeve length slightly. It needs to be comfortable when moving about - I learned that lesson from my A-2! Still, I like this B-15 enough to order another :)

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
I thought you might end up like that ML. I had a large N1from Pike Bros. loved the jacket (other than th wax finish) and wanted to love the fit but didn't get there. So I went with an XL B15 and all was good. Ended up getting the N1 from Buzz Rickson which, aside from my B6, is my driving jacket when I'm out in the MG.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I thought you might end up like that ML. I had a large N1from Pike Bros. loved the jacket (other than th wax finish) and wanted to love the fit but didn't get there. So I went with an XL B15 and all was good. Ended up getting the N1 from Buzz Rickson which, aside from my B6, is my driving jacket when I'm out in the MG.

Yeah, it's frustrating really. I've ordered an XL which should arrive soon, so hopefully it'll be a better fit and I can offload the size large. Sadly you end up making these kinds of mistakes with clothes and often you end up losing out on money...d'oh! Oh well, you live and learn I suppose.

One thing is for sure - the measurements on the B-15 I've found all over the internet at various retailers are all out of whack - none of them are accurate and I can't understand why. Perhaps they updated the cut? I'm surprised by how relatively slim fitting it is, as PB reputation was to make jackets cut like sacks!

Side note - how does the BR N1 fit? I assumed that at our heights, off the rack sizing would be out of the question with them...

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Yep, I have made a few belters over the years. My first attempt at finding the perfect jacket was an Aviation Lesthercraft Irvin. Well made jacket but totally impractical for anything. Since then there has been another Irvin, Teamster, G1, Harris Tweed Jacket and others too. I kind of feel I'm only finding my style now so the current stable is a BR N1, Aero A2, and an original Star Sportswear G1 and Pike Bros N1 and B15.

The jacket habit ain't a sprint Meachamlake. I think everyone on this website is on the hunt for the perfect jacket/s. It's just unfortunate that our taste, shape and preferences change over the years, hence it's a marathon.
The BR N1 is a good fit and great material. It's an off the rack jacket and very comfortable. Happy to provided you numbers if you need em.

Garry

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Yeah, it's frustrating really. I've ordered an XL which should arrive soon, so hopefully it'll be a better fit and I can offload the size large. Sadly you end up making these kinds of mistakes with clothes and often you end up losing out on money...d'oh! Oh well, you live and learn I suppose.

One thing is for sure - the measurements on the B-15 I've found all over the internet at various retailers are all out of whack - none of them are accurate and I can't understand why. Perhaps they updated the cut? I'm surprised by how relatively slim fitting it is, as PB reputation was to make jackets cut like sacks!

Side note - how does the BR N1 fit? I assumed that at our heights, off the rack sizing would be out of the question with them...
Indeed I see that the measurements provided by Aero defer than the measurements in the Pike website. As I am also interested in a S or M, do you think any of these measurements are accurate? Does it run large or small?

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Yep, I have made a few belters over the years. My first attempt at finding the perfect jacket was an Aviation Lesthercraft Irvin. Well made jacket but totally impractical for anything. Since then there has been another Irvin, Teamster, G1, Harris Tweed Jacket and others too. I kind of feel I'm only finding my style now so the current stable is a BR N1, Aero A2, and an original Star Sportswear G1 and Pike Bros N1 and B15.

The jacket habit ain't a sprint Meachamlake. I think everyone on this website is on the hunt for the perfect jacket/s. It's just unfortunate that our taste, shape and preferences change over the years, hence it's a marathon.
The BR N1 is a good fit and great material. It's an off the rack jacket and very comfortable. Happy to provided you numbers if you need em.

Garry

Very true Garry - it's a hunt that probably will never end! Although getting it right with my B6 has taught me at least that when you know it's a keeper, you 'just know'.

Would be very interested in measurements on that N1 for future reference, same goes for the Pike Bros C2! :)

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Indeed I see that the measurements provided by Aero defer than the measurements in the Pike website. As I am also interested in a S or M, do you think any of these measurements are accurate? Does it run large or small?

The jacket runs slightly smaller than Aero's measurements provided on their website. If I were you, I would order both sizes and just see which one fits best - cloth jackets seem to behave very differently to leather and it seems to be impossible to get it spot on just from the measurements alone!

It's a great jacket though, I would highly recommend you try it out. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails