Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new GH (UPDATED)

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Here at the pictures of my new GH. I will post more about it when I get home from work this afternoon. The front pinch is not off center, the hat is a little crooked on my head. Please ignore that ugly thing under the brim; it did not come with the hat.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them the best I can.

Beaver1.jpg
Beaver2.jpg

Beaver3.JPG
Beaver4.jpg

Beaver5.jpg
Beaver6.jpg

Beaver7.jpg

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to make this as objective as possible so that ill feelings are not brought up. Please only comment about the hat and not the maker (or one of the makers in this case). I know how some of you feel about GH and I don't blame you. In fact, I have some of those same feelings too. However, this post is about the product not the maker.

Here are the specs:

Crown: 5 ?Ǭº inches bashed
Brim: 3 inches by 2 ?Ǭæ inches
Ribbon: 1 ?Ǭ? inches
Finished: Pounced extra thin
Body thickness (or thinness in this case): 1.3 mm
Weight: 3.5 oz. (between a light weight and medium weight)
Fur content: 100% pure, sterling belly beaver

My take:

This is a very soft and floppy hat. There was no stiffener added, so the natural tendencies of the beaver are what is keeping the shape. The finish is ultra smooth and was pounced by hand by our very own Fedora. The construction was done by GH, and is top notch. The styling, and blocking for that matter, was done, again, by Fedora. The color (which the pictures don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t do it justice) is gorgeous. It has a golden hue to it, and like my wife says, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìIt looks shinny?¢‚Ǩ?. I have handled a lot of hats, form vintage to Akubra to Peters Brothers to Optimo and this is the softest/smoothest finish of them all (at least the ones I have seen). The hatbox is one like I have never seen. It is not the typical kind where the top comes off. Instead, it opens up like a cake or donut box, and has a plastic caring handle on one side. Very easy to tote around. I'll see if I can get a picture of it posted. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m very please with the way this hat turned out. GH?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s customer service is just what everyone else who has purchased one of his hats said I was. Prompt answers to my questions, very courteous, and very accommodating on my requests.

In the public eye:

Today was the first day I have worn it out in public. We actually had a cool front blow in and the temps dropped to a comfortable level for a while. Every where I went, people commented on how beautiful this hat looked. Even people I know and who know my hats noticed it was a different hat and said it was the best looking hat in my lot. Most people may not wear hats, but some know what a good one looks like. I'd have to say that this is now the "flagship" of my hat collection.

My open acknowledgement and thank you to Fedora:

Fedora did much of the work on this hat. He not only shaped and inspected the hat prior to shipping, but also pounced the hat, extra fine, by hand and blocked it. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure this took a lot of time, effort, and patience. Before I even ordered the hat, Fedora answered all of my questions, blocked a test hat for me to see if his block would work for me, looked at lots of pictures of hats on my ugly head (sorry for the eye strain ;) ), and helped me work through the dimensions to find a mix that would look good on me. For the past month, Fedora has been a saint and a true friend. All this from someone whom I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve never met in person. Boy, this is a great group.

Thank you Fedora for all of you help. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
It sure does! This isn't my first custom-made hat, but it is the nicest. This is something I could pass down to my children (when I have them). This is what I call an heirloom quality hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran