Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Goodwear No-Name 42-18246-p

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I'm told it's going out on Monday. Hemmed and hawed over every contract and civilian jacket John offered. Finally decided to go with an A-2 in my favorite leather (John's seal brown aniline) in a casual style with a wide shoulder but a fitted look and feel. I wanted a civilian flight jacket, but John doesn't make them and this is the closest I could come. There weren't many 18246 jackets made and therefore few pictures of them online and it was hard knowing how it would look, so I just went with John's pictures and my gut. Andrew and Allen were instrumental in giving me loads of great advice and I'm very grateful. Allen in particular recommended this contract highly. I don't make decisions lightly, especially when they involve a lot of money. It was more than a little nerve-racking, but John and Vickie were so patient with me. Anyway, here are some pictures from John's website:

front_view2.jpg

collar1.jpg

Here's a shot of Allen in his:

18246_1.jpg

18246_2.jpg

I had the opportunity to order a new car coat and civilian jacket John's working on, but I decided to go with something I was already familiar with and would be practical for everyday use, since this will be my only jacket. I'm anxious to finally get it and know that I made the right decision. I couldn't bear another 12-18 month wait. (My jacket was ordered in February 2012.)

When I receive the jacket, I'll post back with my impressions. I don't have a camera so I'm hoping John takes some pictures.

D

Deleted member 16736

Oh, and this time I'm resolving not to use any leather conditioner on it, ever!

majormajor

One Too Many
Looking forward to the pics of yours, Joel.

The fit on Allen's is superb.

John C can certainly make jackets!!;)

Allen is a great help as I've mentioned before. I think he's owned more Good Wear than anyone. He helped me a lot finalize my Ventura, and it's the best jacket I've ever owned. Can't wait to se e your new A-2 Joel. Hopefully you'll get some time in it before the weather gets too warm again. Post up as soon as you can. Congrats.

CBI

One Too Many
You will like this contract (probably Knopf was the manufacturer). I own a GW in the contract. In fact, unless that's a photo of Allen with a very recent new jacket, I own the exact jacket in the picture as I bought mine from him about a year ago. Yep, an excellent contract.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm going to borrow a family member's camera phone and snap some pictures. I'm not ready to post pictures of myself, but I can at least show you the jacket (which is what you guys are interested in seeing anyway).

I've come to believe that conditioner on a leather jacket is probably counter-productive if you're trying to achieve a worn-in look. Most vintage jackets we love never saw leather conditioner. Plus with aniline leather it'll darken immediately on contact with conditioner and never look back. Bick 4 is the only thing I'd even consider using on this type of leather, and I'm not sure it really does anything.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Joel.. not to be a d*ck, but you just dropped over a grand on a new Goodwear, but don't have access to a camera?? Pictures man.. we need pictures.

I'm going to borrow a family member's camera phone and snap some pictures. I'm not ready to post pictures of myself, but I can at least show you the jacket (which is what you guys are interested in seeing anyway).I've come to believe that conditioner on a leather jacket is probably counter-productive if you're trying to achieve a worn-in look. Most vintage jackets we love never saw leather conditioner. Plus with aniline leather it'll darken immediately on contact with conditioner and never look back. Bick 4 is the only thing I'd even consider using on this type of leather, and I'm not sure it really does anything.
Joel - just chop off the head like I do! And I am a chronic leather treater...it's very hard NOT to do it to everything I get. I'm recovering now - I have two paris of boots and this new Ventura I've managed NOT to treat. It goes against a lifetime of doing the opposite, so it's not easy :)

D

Deleted member 16736

Joel - just chop off the head like I do! And I am a chronic leather treater...it's very hard NOT to do it to everything I get. I'm recovering now - I have two paris of boots and this new Ventura I've managed NOT to treat. It goes against a lifetime of doing the opposite, so it's not easy :)

Some leather items benefit from conditioner: boots, wallets, belts, bags, etc. In fact, I just received a tin of Huberd's Shoe Grease and applied it to a pair of horsehide work boots, natural leather wallet and bridle leather belt with positive results. It goes on easily, doesn't overly darken, and it's not too waxy. But leather jackets are a different breed. They don't seem to require a lot of conditioning and look better without it. I'll hold off using anything on my jacket for as long as possible, and that easily could be the rest of my life (I'm 44).

Some leather items benefit from conditioner: boots, wallets, belts, bags, etc. In fact, I just received a tin of Huberd's Shoe Grease and applied it to a pair of horsehide work boots, natural leather wallet and bridle leather belt with positive results. It goes on easily, doesn't overly darken, and it's not too waxy. But leather jackets are a different breed. They don't seem to require a lot of conditioning and look better without it. I'll hold off using anything on my jacket for as long as possible, and that easily could be the rest of my life (I'm 44).
Some boots I do, some I don't. For those I just wear out, no more conditioner. For working outside, military, and snow/rain, they get Sno*Seal or Pecards. It's not easy leaving the jackets alone - so keep pics handy of good old patina'd jackets for motivation...

schitzo

Suspended
but will a camera phone suffice for these hungry fetishists?

As you say Boyo, Joel's just dropped over a grand on this jacket so I doubt buying a camera ranks that high on his to do list atm. Perhaps 'Friends of Boyo' could organise a whip round? D'you hear that Butte? I'm talking to you! lol

Whatever you take them with Joel there's no doubt they'll be well received here. With some companies when you read about a members' latest mail order there is a degree of concern, on his behalf, but with this one I reckon you've ordered from the one place that makes anxiety redundant. So sit back and relax - you're incredible patience (which I don't have) is about to pay dividends :eusa_clap

D

Deleted member 16736

John just emailed me: jacket is on its way. That's the good news. Bad news is Vickie's out and he wasn't able to snap pictures. So it'll be up to me and my non-existent photography skills with a borrowed cell phone to take some. I'll do my best and try not to let you fellas down. John says it's superb and doesn't understand why more customers don't order it. (Maybe more pictures on his site would help.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy