Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Green Overcoat

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In my ongoing quest to build a proper wardrobe for myself, I decided that I needed a decent long winter coat. I ended up buying this at the flea-market today.

It's from the 70s, according to the label on the lining, from a menswear company (Scott LaSalle's) that, according to my research, doesn't exist anymore. It's 88% wool, 12% poly. It's a dark sorta wine-bottle green, and fits me very well in the shoulders and sleeves. It drops to below-knee level and the fabric is very dense!

Among other things, the label also says:

OVERCOAT. MAN'S. JUNE '79.

It has two deep, straight flap-pockets across the front (one of them has an inner pocket for things like loose change, or something), and two deep, straight un-flapped pockets across the inside, one on each side. It also has shoulder eapualettes, which I think is a nice feature!

The coat is also VERY heavy! As of the writing of this post - tomorrow is going to be a nightmare - rain, wind, and freezing cold. Perfect time to test it out! I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and see how it fares!

coatgreen01.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The cut and overall look (as well as weight and material, and label style) suggest military origins. Aclose up of the buttons (assuming they are original to the coat) might help to idetify further.

Military dress uniforms can be a great source for affordable, vintage-style overcoats as the cut of dress uniforms has barely changed in most countries sicne the immediate post-war period.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The coat is also VERY heavy! As of the writing of this post - tomorrow is going to be a nightmare - rain, wind, and freezing cold. Perfect time to test it out! I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and see how it fares!

View attachment 180925

Difficult to imagine it could ever be freezing Cold in Melbourne. :D
Your overcoat is of military origin since it has an NSN (Nato Stock Number) on the label i.e. 8405-21-851-1872.....the second two digit number denotes the country, 21 = Canada.
Scott Lasalle Ltd. is more likely to be the maufacturer rather than an outfitters.
If you do a little digging you might find out a bit more but being an obsolete model, info may be a little scarce, 1979 was a long time ago.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Ed,

No, the buttons are not original. I saw thread-holes in the coat from previous stitching, so the buttons have been replaced. But I like the gold-colour buttons, I think they make a nice touch :)

And L.&.M, just so you know - it's snowing in country Victoria right now - like, snowing HARD. So yes, it most definitely can!! But thanks for the help with deciphering the tag.

Just one question, what does the "C.F." stand for?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I did a bit of research, and I found this:

837da019e303b3d822c383ac104c2baf.jpg

...and this:

il_794xN.1375183406_8x9g.jpg

I think the first photo is what mine would've looked like originally, and the second photo is what a previous owner wanted mine to look like (more of an 'officer's version', I guess), and so changed the buttons from plain black to gold-tone. The marks of previous buttons are still fairly visible 'cause of the old thread.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^^pretty cool long coat no matter what @Shangas!
I still wear my USMC long coat from 73’ every winter. Nicest feeling wear i ever had. The style is timeless and the compliments never stop. Maybe because it still has razor sharp creases!!
Cool coat...enjoy!
B

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it is Canadian Forces - the photos Shangas found in his research were clearly marked "Canadian Armed Forces green wool overcoat". Nice coat - not much use for something that heavy here in Melbourne except for maybe a month of winter mornings. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ