My New Green Overcoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Shangas, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

In my ongoing quest to build a proper wardrobe for myself, I decided that I needed a decent long winter coat. I ended up buying this at the flea-market today.

It's from the 70s, according to the label on the lining, from a menswear company (Scott LaSalle's) that, according to my research, doesn't exist anymore. It's 88% wool, 12% poly. It's a dark sorta wine-bottle green, and fits me very well in the shoulders and sleeves. It drops to below-knee level and the fabric is very dense!

Among other things, the label also says:

OVERCOAT. MAN'S. JUNE '79.

It has two deep, straight flap-pockets across the front (one of them has an inner pocket for things like loose change, or something), and two deep, straight un-flapped pockets across the inside, one on each side. It also has shoulder eapualettes, which I think is a nice feature!

The coat is also VERY heavy! As of the writing of this post - tomorrow is going to be a nightmare - rain, wind, and freezing cold. Perfect time to test it out! I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and see how it fares!

coatgreen01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

And here's the maker's label:

coatgreen02.jpg

Michael A likes this.
  3. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

Very handsome-Possibly Canadian in origin?

4. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I honestly have no idea where it came from. I love it, though! It's so solid and well-made.
    It cost me all of $40.00.

Phil Silv3rs likes this.
  5. Edward

Edward Bartender

The cut and overall look (as well as weight and material, and label style) suggest military origins. Aclose up of the buttons (assuming they are original to the coat) might help to idetify further.

Military dress uniforms can be a great source for affordable, vintage-style overcoats as the cut of dress uniforms has barely changed in most countries sicne the immediate post-war period.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  6. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Difficult to imagine it could ever be freezing Cold in Melbourne. :D
    Your overcoat is of military origin since it has an NSN (Nato Stock Number) on the label i.e. 8405-21-851-1872.....the second two digit number denotes the country, 21 = Canada.
    Scott Lasalle Ltd. is more likely to be the maufacturer rather than an outfitters.
    If you do a little digging you might find out a bit more but being an obsolete model, info may be a little scarce, 1979 was a long time ago.

7. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Hi Ed,

No, the buttons are not original. I saw thread-holes in the coat from previous stitching, so the buttons have been replaced. But I like the gold-colour buttons, I think they make a nice touch :)

And L.&.M, just so you know - it's snowing in country Victoria right now - like, snowing HARD. So yes, it most definitely can!! But thanks for the help with deciphering the tag.

Just one question, what does the "C.F." stand for?

Edward likes this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I did a bit of research, and I found this:

[​IMG]

...and this:

[​IMG]

I think the first photo is what mine would've looked like originally, and the second photo is what a previous owner wanted mine to look like (more of an 'officer's version', I guess), and so changed the buttons from plain black to gold-tone. The marks of previous buttons are still fairly visible 'cause of the old thread.

Benny Holiday and Edward like this.
  9. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^^pretty cool long coat no matter what @Shangas!
    I still wear my USMC long coat from 73’ every winter. Nicest feeling wear i ever had. The style is timeless and the compliments never stop. Maybe because it still has razor sharp creases!!
    Cool coat...enjoy!
    B

JMax, Benny Holiday and Peacoat like this.
  10. Lean'n'mean

Could be 'Canadian Forces' but that would be too easy.

11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes, it is Canadian Forces - the photos Shangas found in his research were clearly marked "Canadian Armed Forces green wool overcoat". Nice coat - not much use for something that heavy here in Melbourne except for maybe a month of winter mornings. :D

Edward likes this.
  12. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Hey - this morning is bloody freezing!!

13. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ha, what is it, like 15 Celsius? ;)

14. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

It's 5'c right now. Sorry if that isn't cold enough for the Europeans here.

15. Lean'n'mean

5°C ? That's an average temperature for a British summer .......c'mon, man up. :p

torfjord, Peacoat and Dav like this.
  16. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I've been to Britain in summer, I can assure you it isn't :p

17. Lean'n'mean

Strewth, mate, must be hell living in Oz without a sense of humour. :rolleyes:

18. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

5 C is by definition not freezing. Come back when water turns to that hard thing ;)