Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Johnson Leathers - Horween chromexcel overdyed Jacket

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Wow the leather looks dynamite!

I think the front is just knockout cool - makes me want one!, but Im not completely happy with the back......but I seldom think jackets have good backs so :p

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
My point being, if a FL member can convey how stunning the jacket is with a few quick pics on an internet forum, surely the actual merchant should put enough pride in their work to do the same?

As I've stated many times here in the past, one of the main reasons that I've spent so much time touting the jackets made by Johnson Leathers is because their website does not do their product justice. If it had not been for others here before me doing the same thing, I wouldn't have made that first call to JL - that phone call ultimately led to my purchasing two of their jackets. As mentioned by others, JL is doing just fine regardless of their website. I imagine one big reason why they keep putting off the site redesign is that most of their focus goes into making great jackets and they spend a surprisingly large amount of their time dealing directly with customers. Anyone that has spent any time talking with Alan or Craig on the phone probably knows what I mean.

technovox

One Too Many
This is a really nice jacket, Technovox. How much did that cost you, if I can ask? Using that leather?

I'm not sure I can give you a clear answer on that. I originally bought a M-200 in naked cowhide, but at a discounted price when they were having their annual sale. However, because I don't ride a motorcycle, the M-200 just didn't seem like the perfect fit for me: the tighter motorcycle fit, the wind flap, the shorter body, action back, etc. So I returned it the following day, and I discovered they had a M-200 version with a boxier fit, side buckles, no action back, and slightly longer body. This was exactly what I was looking for. And then I requested the upgrade of the Horween overdyed leather, which was extra. All in all, after the dust settled, I loosely estimate it came in somewhere south of $550. I hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

JVK

New in Town
I'm not sure I can give you a clear answer on that. I originally bought a M-200 in naked cowhide, but at a discounted price when they were having their annual sale. However, because I don't ride a motorcycle, the M-200 just didn't seem like the perfect fit for me: the tighter motorcycle fit, the wind flap, the shorter body, action back, etc. So I returned it the following day, and I discovered they had a M-200 version with a boxier fit, side buckles, no action back, and slightly longer body. This was exactly what I was looking for. And then I requested the upgrade of the Horween overdyed leather, which was extra. All in all, after the dust settled, I can safely say it came in a bit south of $500. I hope that answers your question.

That's awesome. Thank you!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My point being, if a FL member can convey how stunning the jacket is with a few quick pics on an internet forum, surely the actual merchant should put enough pride in their work to do the same?

I hear that, but maybe you're still making an assumption that a bad website means there's no pride. You could also argue that they put all their efforts into a great product and not a flashy site. ;) I live half-way around the world too but a quick search revealed this company as a fantastic maker. I chose Johnson over Aero for speed of ordering and price. I think my half belt came in at around $200-300 cheaper for me than an Aero of comparable quality.

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Heck, that is an AWESOME jacket. Well done on the style and colour choice, although I must say I think it would look amazing in dark brown too. I did a lot of back and forth discussion with the owner there at Johnson and was enormously impressed with his diligence. Unfortunately I was unable to conclude the deal due to various factors but I have not given up hope of owning a jacket of there's in the future. I just wish I wasn't held to ransom by an exchange rate which is definitely not in my favour!

As far as the website goes, I would prefer for them to remain a low-flying stealth bomber rather than a neon coloured zeppelin. Who needs another 6 month wait list?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21