Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Johnson Leathers - Horween chromexcel overdyed Jacket

technovox

One Too Many
A few months ago, I was in the Johnson Leathers shop checking out the M-200 jackets. Although I like the M-200 style with the spread collar and zippered sleeves, I'm not a motorcycle rider, so the shorter, tight fit body didn't make as much sense for me. But when searching through their racks, I discovered the perfect compromise, a variation of the M-200, with a longer body, roomier cut, no action back, and side buckles.
Since they didn't have my size in stock, they made me a new one, which I picked up a few weeks ago.
I was able to request nickel hardware, and the four ounce Horween chromexcel overdyed cowhide. (Highlights of dark brown in the scuffs and patina of the leather are already beginning to show through.) At first the jacket was extremely stiff - almost too stiff and heavy to wear. But after two weeks of working the new leather, using it, bending it, folding it, sitting on it, basically tossing it around and mistreating it, this jacket has already become very pliable and most comfortable to wear... Just like Alan said it would. Throughout the ordering process, Alan (and Craig) were very patient and informative. If you're in San Francisco, you might want to stop by their shop.
Here are some pics of my new jacket as promised...still breaking it in.

JohnsonIntMain.JPG JohnsonIntBack.JPG JohnsonBuckle.JPG JohnsonBuckles.JPG JohnsonCollar.JPG JohsonMain.JPG JohnsonBck.JPG

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Technovox, awesome jacket and it looks great.
You're one of the guys who've convinced me that tucking in is cool.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is a very nice jacket and like your Submariner watch as well. More and more good press about JL jackets. It is unfortunate that JL's website fails to illustrate the true excellence and range of their jackets.

technovox

One Too Many
That is a very nice jacket and like your Submariner watch as well. More and more good press about JL jackets. It is unfortunate that JL's website fails to illustrate the true excellence and range of their jackets.
Thanks. It's a vintage Submariner 1680... When I ordered the jacket, Alan (of Johnson Leathers) and I had a nice little chat about vintage Rolexes, among other things. He's a fellow Rolex admirer/collector.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. It's a vintage Submariner 1680... When I ordered the jacket, Alan (of Johnson Leathers) and I had a nice little chat about vintage Rolexes, among other things. He's a fellow collector.

So am I. I have a Y series SD 16600. Nice jacket too! :D

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Looks great Techno. Now you have me re-thinking my plans to purchase an M-200L. Do they have a model name for your jacket?

technovox

One Too Many
Looks great Techno. Now you have me re-thinking my plans to purchase an M-200L. Do they have a model name for your jacket?

I'm sure there is a model name and Alan once told me, but I can't remember exactly what it was. And I just checked my invoice and it doesn't seem to be listed there either. I'll find out and get back to you with a definitive answer in the next couple of days.
By the way, one other thing I requested was to eliminate the wind flap. Again, not being a motorcycle rider, a wind flap just seemed unnecessary in both weight and design.
And, something I forgot to mention- when the jacket was done, Alan pointed out that they'd put in leather lined pockets- something I've never had before on a leather jacket.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I'm sure there is a model name and Alan once told me, but I can't remember exactly what it was. And I just checked my invoice and it doesn't seem to be listed there either. I'll find out and get back to you with a definitive answer in the next couple of days.
By the way, one other thing I requested was to eliminate the wind flap. Again, not being a motorcycle rider, a wind flap just seemed unnecessary in both weight and design.
And, something I forgot to mention- when the jacket was done, Alan pointed out that they'd put in leather lined pockets- something I've never had before on a leather jacket.

I would appreciate that. When you lift your arms up to the sides, does your jacket rise up significantly?

technovox

One Too Many
Just put it on and tried it. Doesn't really rise up significantly. With the 4 oz Horween, it's a heavy jacket...probably the heaviest I've ever owned. The weight holds down the sides a little bit. Perhaps with an action back it would probably be even less significant.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnson Leathers really need to do something about their crappy website. I would never have considered buying off them looking at the site. Their photos are terrible. If technovox can get such nice pics that do the jackets justice, it boggles the mind why JL can't.....

If the merchant can be bothered even taking nice pictures for their official website, how much care/effort would you think goes into the actual jackets?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Johnson Leathers really need to do something about their crappy website. I would never have considered buying off them looking at the site. Their photos are terrible. If technovox can get such nice pics that do the jackets justice, it boggles the mind why JL can't.....

If the merchant can be bothered even taking nice pictures for their official website, how much care/effort would you think goes into the actual jackets?

The website is pox. But some of the best merchants have the worst sites and some of the worst merchants have the best sites. Johnson's make jackets as good as any I've seen over 30 years. They do great business and don't really need to lure people in by their website. But I understand they are going to relaunch their web presence.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Thus far from reading actual experiences from multiple FL members about their JL jackets, I fail to see a single negative post. The only negative is the actual JL website and lack of pictures that would validate what appears to be a superior product and customer service from this company.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thus far from reading actual experiences from multiple FL members about their JL jackets, I fail to see a single negative post. The only negative is the actual JL website and lack of pictures that would validate what appears to be a superior product and customer service from this company.

Also, every time I've talked to Alan he's implied that business was very good. He is very much aware that the site is in need of an update. However, it's the man's own decision!
I don't know what kind of Pandora's box could be opened-perhaps a much longer waiting list?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, I didn't mean to imply I thought the jackets actually were sub par (I've never seen one in person) merely that by looking at the website, without any further information on them, my initial assessment of the quality wouldn't be very high. I live on the other side of the world and the name Johnson Leather has/had no meaning whatsoever to me, I have no idea if they have a reputation for quality, the website the the only real tool I have to assess them by and without flogging a dead horse, that website does not convey quality.

Having said that, the jacket displayed here is absolutely gorgeous! ...great! now I have to add another manufacturer to the decision list...

My point being, if a FL member can convey how stunning the jacket is with a few quick pics on an internet forum, surely the actual merchant should put enough pride in their work to do the same?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui