Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new overcoat!

Johnny B

Familiar Face
I generally don't wear trenchcoats ever since I left my goth phase back in highschool years ago but my big black nylon bomber didn't protect my legs last winter when we had nothing but wind and I never had a coat to wear over a suit when I went out, so I splurged. Found this on eBay. Needs a little tailoring (bring the torso in, shorten the arms) but it's so beautiful I just love it. Girlfriend hates it. Women.

It's all a grayish green gabardine and lined with silk or satin. The grey lapels seem to be moleskin.

(I can't take a picture to save my life)

coatfrontcj0.jpg

coatbackic5.jpg

coatfront2jv7.jpg

I haven't worn a long coat in years. How does it look?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Nice coat, but I'm going to agree with everyone else; lose the boards. If they're sewn on and not just buttoned and looped, take a seam ripper to them, it shouldn't hurt the coat.

Edward

Bartender
Great looking coat..... I'd hazard a guess at East German, or some other East Bloc military? I've loved surplus gear for years - been into it since I was 15, and actually still have (and wear regularly) some of the original German army shirts I bought back in 89! Army surplus overcoats are a great way of getting hold of an extremely sharply tailored coat in a vintage style for very low prices, compared to what an equivalent garment would cost you on civvy street.

If you're looking for a military vibe, then it's fine as is; otherwise, I agree with the other posters that it would be worth having a little alteration done to remove the epaulettes and possibly changing the buttons out for a set of plastic same-colour ones to give it more of a civilian look. Either way, nice find.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Johnny B said:
So why the shoulder board hate

Often those that served or had family that served in the military take great offense to someone who wears rank or unit insignias that they did not earn. Depending on where you are from, people can be quite outspoken about this. They feel its similar to wearing a medal you did not win, or claiming you have a degree from a school you did not attend.

Unless you are waring some unit or rank insignia to honor an immediate family member it is often best to simply not wear it at all. But, its your coat...so you have final say of course.

NicFyyar

New in Town
What a majestic (well, republican if it's from the Eastern bloc :p) coat! Personally I have sort of an affection for militarized clothing, but I also know it can mean raised eyebrows from people around you. Heck, you might even be accused of being a Commie or Nazi, so I'll also advise you to remove the boards, simply because of people's reaction. :(

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm new here ;)

Dieter

New in Town
To clear up any and all confusion, that is a reproduction Waffen-SS General's overcoat, made by either Michael Janke of Germany or John Chen of China. Georgeous coat, but definatly have the sewn-in shoulder boards removed and the seam sewn tightly shut. Then I'd recommend replacing the buttons with old fashioned green leather buttons of the same diameter and shank.
Believe me, only a veteran, historian, reenactor or a survivor would recognize that coat as it is. Judging by how that is a "special order" mantel (and your sharp haircut), you knew perfectly well what that coat is. If it had red lapels, it would be for a Wehrmacht General.
Incidentally, as a reenactor myself, when not at events I personally favor wearing a stripped Bergmutze (mountain cap) with an edelweiss on its side during mountain hikes and long walks in the wintertime.
Trust me, you don't have to alienate yourself to make a statement.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
NicFyyar said:
What a majestic (well, republican if it's from the Eastern bloc :p) coat! Personally I have sort of an affection for militarized clothing, but I also know it can mean raised eyebrows from people around you. Heck, you might even be accused of being a Commie or Nazi, so I'll also advise you to remove the boards, simply because of people's reaction. :(

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm new here ;)

From one dane to another: Velkommen:)

NicFyyar

New in Town
Spitfire said:
From one dane to another: Velkommen:)

Mange tak! Det er godt at vide man ikke er alene om at have smag her i landet ;)

(Thanks! Good to know you're not the only one in this country with taste)

Edward

Bartender
Johnny B said:
So why the shoulder board hate

I think they look sharp, myself, but for a coat I was gonig to wear daily I would prefer a more civilian vibe to it. I like military overcoats as a cheap way of acquiring a coat that can be made over to give the look of a vintage civilian coat. Not a thing wrong with the more military look if that's what you're after. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace