Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Thedis: MTC-127915 and MTC-C127913

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
philipp-plein-black-Leather-Jacket-crazy.jpeg

Oh man, those gorilla sleeves on that cross-zip! I think this defeats the grizzly.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wasn't it you who once said to me that the there's nothing to worry about addiction wise while I still have less than hundred jackets?

Still stand by that, Doesn't mean that you can;t play with variety in the initial hundred :D

There is variety and variety

iu

iu

iu
iu

MEB5gem.jpg

Superfluous

Two absolutely stellar jackets @Jejupe . Congrats.

I must say that my addiction has been getting more refined lately. I just decided to return two Vansons mainly because they didn't feel special to me. At this point I don't need any more "good enough" jackets. I wan't clothing that feels special to me every time I put it on. These Thedis certainly tick that box for me, but some of the jackets I have bought during last year don't. Now I'm thinking if I should sell off some of those "I guess they're quite ok" jackets.

This is a very common evolution. Items that were initially top flight lose their luster and become merely adequate as we acquire better products. I would have saved a ton of cash if I had simply skipped the intermediate products and gone straight to better products that I was destined to purchase from the beginning. On the other hand, there is no substitute for the invaluable knowledge acquired by going through the process, which is ultimately necessary to truly appreciate the better products.

On a related issue, I am a firm believer in quality over quantity. IMHO, it is MUCH more desirable to have a few stellar products as opposed to many "good enough" products. Prioritize quality, even if it requires a tempered volume of purchases. In my experience, this produces greater and more enduring satisfaction.

Jejupe

Practically Family
Two absolutely stellar jackets @Jejupe . Congrats.

This is a very common evolution. Items that were initially top flight lose their luster and become merely adequate as we acquire better products. I would have saved a ton of cash if I had simply skipped the intermediate products and gone straight to better products that I was destined to purchase from the beginning. On the other hand, there is no substitute for the invaluable knowledge acquired by going through the process, which is ultimately necessary to truly appreciate the better products.

On a related issue, I am a firm believer in quality over quantity. IMHO, it is MUCH more desirable to have a few stellar products as opposed to many "good enough" products. Prioritize quality, even if it requires a tempered volume of purchases. In my experience, this produces greater and more enduring satisfaction.

I agree. However, I have no regrets for my resent buying rampage. Without quantity I’ve had, I would never learned to appreciate quality the same way. Better yet, I would have not learned what quality means for me. I can honestly say that I believe that in a year I’ve learned more about leather and leather jackets than most ”normal” leather jacket wearing people do in their life.

Furthermore, I’ve learned that quality is different things for different people. In jackets one person might appreciate high durability or mc riding qualities over anything, while another gets his kicks from absolute historical accuracy of a repro A2.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Two absolutely stellar jackets @Jejupe .

I think this principle is sound as far as it goes and many will relate but I find the jackets that have given me most pleasure were fairly inexpensive, although robust and well made.

I've had more wearing pleasure from my goatskin Gibson and Barnes and my $20 thrift shop calfskin jacket for instance than my custom spec'd jackets costing many times more. I personally find the notion of quality a complex one. Above a certain point of manufacturing competence, it doesn't much matter to me.

For me fit is usually the key to happiness and sustained enjoyment of a jacket. Many higher quality leathers have seen significantly less wear than much lesser quality based on fit. The problem I've found is that I have many times over tried to replicate the lesser quality item with superior quality materials and construction and more often than not.... been unsuccessful.

I believe there are only 1 or maybe 2 guys out there who are meticulous enough to discover and take the time to recreate the little nuances of the old jackets. If there was any chance of me getting a 30s original Hercules in my size, I would...but I don't live in Japan. So, I wait for the day to arrive when I get a call from the Pacific Northwest with good news.

Mich486

One Too Many
For me fit is usually the key to happiness and sustained enjoyment of a jacket. Many higher quality leathers have seen significantly less wear than much lesser quality based on fit. The problem I've found is that I have many times over tried to replicate the lesser quality item with superior quality materials and construction and more often than not.... been unsuccessful.

Fit is king! No doubts about that... I think it’s the basic principle of being well dressed in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superfluous

I’ve learned that quality is different things for different people. In jackets one person might appreciate high durability or mc riding qualities over anything, while another gets his kicks from absolute historical accuracy of a repro A2.

Very true! One must determine what constitutes a well made jacket according to his/her subjective preferences and individual priorities.

For me fit is usually the key to happiness and sustained enjoyment of a jacket.

Fit is always of paramount importance. A poor fitting well made jacket is unsatisfying. That said, for me personally, a great fitting poorly made jacket is also unsatisfying.

Very true! One must determine what constitutes a well made jacket according to his/her subjective preferences and individual priorities.

Fit is always of paramount importance. A poor fitting well made jacket is unsatisfying. That said, for me personally, a great fitting poorly made jacket is also unsatisfying.
I tend to agree. Although if the fit is great and it's not really horrible I'm much more forgiving with regard to overall quality. Depends how deep I had to go into the pockets as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy