Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Vintage Borsalino!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The current version of that hat looks pretty much the same as it did in the 40's, the only difference is that on the modern version the felt is junk. Give me a vintage Borsalino any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Borsalino does make a hats with Beaver fur priced around $560. The present Alassandria model is in their economy line priced about $210.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
As mentioned earlier in the thread, "Alessandria" appears on the sweatband, as the hometown of Borsalino(acttually, not always and sometimes in different combinations with the logo or liner label). This model of hat however, is also named for the town. The model is quite recognisable by its proportion and tall, straight-sided crown. It is one of Borsalino's few (contemporary)un-tapered-crown models.
The Alessandria is very similar to the classic Open Road style.

None of mine have the paper label remaining, so I can't say if it appears on the label. I can't say about modern Borsalino Alessandrias, as I don't own any modern ones. If you visit a few hat web sites, you will see the Alessandria mentioned, as a model of hat.

B
T

danofarlington

more on Borsalino

For my money, Borsalino hats are the ones best designed to look cool in the modern world. I have not tried on any vintage Borsalinos, but the modern retail hats are great. The one in the picture looks good. Borsalino hats stand up to close scrutiny.

At least in my opinion, most other hatmakers (vintage Stetson Open Road excluded) make products that don't pass the "modern" test--you can't wear them without looking like your Dad or Uncle Charlie (like Dobbs hats), or copying some kind of movie star like Indiana Jones. So you can't really wear them without seeming to be reaching for a throwback style.

Borsalino and vintage Stetson Open Road (not the cowboy hat), in my opinion, do pass the "modern" test. You can wear them straight up--no reachback to the movies or Uncle Charlie.

If it looks good on you in the mirror, it will look good on you. No way to know until you try it on.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
For my money, Borsalino hats are the ones best designed to look cool in the modern world. I have not tried on any vintage Borsalinos, but the modern retail hats are great. The one in the picture looks good. Borsalino hats stand up to close scrutiny.

At least in my opinion, most other hatmakers (vintage Stetson Open Road excluded) make products that don't pass the "modern" test--you can't wear them without looking like your Dad or Uncle Charlie (like Dobbs hats), or copying some kind of movie star like Indiana Jones. So you can't really wear them without seeming to be reaching for a throwback style.

Borsalino and vintage Stetson Open Road (not the cowboy hat), in my opinion, do pass the "modern" test. You can wear them straight up--no reachback to the movies or Uncle Charlie.

If it looks good on you in the mirror, it will look good on you. No way to know until you try it on.

Facepalm.jpg

chippy

New in Town
not meaning to ruffle any feathers, but i just dont know, being brand new here, i think perhaps the significance of the 'Tacticle Facepalm' picture is eluding me

but i do kinda see what danofarlington is saying , i would have to agree to a point, and by coinsidence lately i have been showing fedora, trilby, western, aussie country hats etc etc to some young people lately, asking their opinion of what they think looks good on me [selfish me lol ] but also what they find appealing for themselves ..

without a doubt, hands down, every time, all the young people i engaged about this, loved the hats from Borsalino, showing hats [usually trilby's--they seem to be more popular in contemporary film themes] from modern new films (non adventure, though they appreciate but wouldnt wear the indy hat) ,fedora etc from older films and sites around the net, also they pointed out music clips etc to me with what they said were ok hats.

whilst they liked the old hats, even the Indy hats. if asked which hat they liked the most or would like to wear themselves the Borsalino hats were hands down more popular than any other. to paraphrase they pretty much said that many (read; not all) of the fedora's etc from everyone else looked like old mans hats, the trilby style less so, but thats because they see more trilby in new movies worn by trend setters atm..however when shown the Borsalino site they loved the modern look they projected

After showing them the Borsa site, i thought is was intriguing that they liked the hats at all, not having been particularly exposed to them before, or because they had a preconception that fedora's and trilby's were old mans hats, basically they are the same hats in shape (to us), some materials are different and the bands that have the gold edges or the duel black and white are noticeably different , the young folk arnt tied to the material being felt or not either, so they havnt developed any allegiance to felt yet but they do seem to like it if its presented well

anyways, it is interesting i think, i'm not sure why there seems to be an anti borsa thing going on here (this forum) from what i have read in the archives, perhaps i will find out sooner or later...but maybe , just maybe, its partly because they are dam expensive!(always pick on the tall poppy syndrome) quality some say has dropped off from vintage days but the best 100% beaver i doubt is less quality than anyone else's 100% beaver now? more expensive no doubt but not ness less quality? at any rate i like the look of these hats, i would love to know where to get some of the ribbons they use!? i think quite possibly, its only thinking out loud btw, i am not making any definite assertions, stating fact, but my impression is that Italy has some kind of import ban (or tax penalty) on textile/leather type goods and that in itself encourages if not keeps the industry afloat in Italy (not just hats but almost anything you can think of to do with those materials). if thats the case it no doubt has its definite drawbacks, both for Italians but also all of us. on the positive side, perhaps them being so insulated to franchise attacks on their industry we all benefit, albeit at high cost to enjoy something that is still, somewhat unique

[edit] i would also like to ask, why is it that the new hats on the Borsa site arnt found on any other hat sites, all they have is the standard borsa gear! or have i just not found those up to date hats on any hat sites that sell?

The Borsalino quality went down after the family sold the business in the early 1980s. Today I think the high price point and quality issues are the factors for most of the negative reactions on this board. The majority here tend towards one style of hat which is high crown, no taper, brims in the 2 1/2 range with pounced felt finish. Personally I am open to different styles and finishes as long quality is maintained.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino makes a huge range of styles both traditional and Contemporary so it is difficult to lump its offerings into a single style. Many of the hats now seen as on the cutting edge could have been seen on heads 80-90 years ago(minus the "bling"). Quality has deteriorated from their best days but its not junk, just not a great value for the price. As always the businesses are seeking a larger market and see "youths" as an opportunity. Disney,Portis and Mallory had certain styles designed to attract teens and college age people. Some styles wear better over time or disappear with the season. Many may not like certain looks, but if no one bought these hats they would not produce them- simply business. In France the term Borsalino is the equivalent of Fedora in the USA so that should tell you something about a lasting image of style.

rlk said:
Borsalino makes a huge range of styles both traditional and Contemporary so it is difficult to lump its offerings into a single style. Many of the hats now seen as on the cutting edge could have been seen on heads 80-90 years ago(minus the "bling"). Quality has deteriorated from their best days but its not junk, just not a great value for the price. As always the businesses are seeking a larger market and see "youths" as an opportunity. Disney,Portis and Mallory had certain styles designed to attract teens and college age people. Some styles wear better over time or disappear with the season. Many may not like certain looks, but if no one bought these hats they would not produce them- simply business. In France the term Borsalino is the equivalent of Fedora in the USA so that should tell you something about a lasting image of style.

:arated: Great post!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
:arated:

Moman

New in Town
So if one were shopping from afar, for a vintage Borsalino fedora, what are the key characteristics that differentiate a quality vintage item from the modern "junk"? [huh]

chippy

New in Town
lol lol lol those caps are terrible eh! i cant imagine anyone wearing them even on a Vespa...but when it comes to caps the Italians are at the mercy of their isolated condition (economical/political), in some ways their predicament works against them and in other ways it provides us with unique nice hats, those later hats with the gold are something to do with the mad hatters movie, some kids like them-go figure..

the same sort of thing (uniqueness) used to happen in the old days, (it would win or disappear) , before the strength of franchise and advertising and movies took hold of every other corner of earth (globalisation is our enemy i think)..if we are to love the old fashioned fedora's, then we should have an appreciation of its evolution, no doubt we all have our favourites types, but i would be disappointed if all fedora started to look, high crown, no taper type thing

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Bean counters take over Borsalino

When a company is sold to people who do not have an interest in the product it means that it was sold to people who only have an interest in the company's revenues.

Such people look for ways to squeeze even more money from the product; using less expensive materials is one such way.

Eventually they run the product into the ground; loose their customers, and destroy the reputation of the product.

It is apparent to anyone who looks around that hats are making a comeback, and you'd think that a smart company would try to get in front of the curve.

4spurs said:
When a company is sold to people who do not have an interest in the product it means that it was sold to people who only have an interest in the company's revenues.

Such people look for ways to squeeze even more money from the product; using less expensive materials is one such way.

Eventually they run the product into the ground; loose their customers, and destroy the reputation of the product.

It is apparent to anyone who looks around that hats are making a comeback, and you'd think that a smart company would try to get in front of the curve.

I believe Borsalino is still doing well business wise. The quality has gone down for all production hats. It was amazing Borsalino kept such high standards into the late 70s. Today Borsalino just isn't putting out a product that warrants such a high cost. If the prices were down in the Akubra - Stetson range people on here wouldn't be as critical.

danofarlington

modern hats

This is quite an interesting and lively discussion. IMHO Italians are design geniuses. I don't know about the quality of the felt--if it's worse than before, I assume the world market for hats declined, forcing them to do that--but stylewise the Borsalino hats I like (low crown, wide brim) look good from any angle, and give me hope that I can carry it off.

One of the reasons in my opinion that fedora hats are not more popular, are slow to come back, is that in the retail hat stores all you have are dopey-looking fedoras. Put one on and you think, "OK, what old man or movie star am I emulating?" Or it's an outback hat, suitable for camping. If good hats, like a full Borsalino line, were available in local retail hat stores you'd probably get more purchases. As it is, you can only get good hats on the Internet.

Apart from that, I think all people look to style leaders. I think fedoras can work--it's been almost fifty years since JFK put them out of style--but it depends on men actually looking good in the hats they wear. Frankly I don't see a lot of that on the street. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is make sure you look good in that hat!

The focus of this board is the Golden Era so modern styles (> 1960) or alternate styles are not well accepted. I occasionally wear low crown hats with taper (especially 1960s era) but I am a minority on this board. I wear German and Austrian traditional hats which are heavily frowned upon (not by RLK or Dreispitz though) on this board. The quality of production hats in general took a nose dive in the later 1960s. As I mentioned Borsalino actually made great hats longer than any other company. Now they are way over priced and you are pretty much just buying the name. If you want a modern Italian hat you can get a Guerra, Cervo, Panizza for less and the hats are actually higher quality than Borsalino. As for JFK my feeling is that is a bit of a myth. I see the car and a more casual life style doing in the hat business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails