Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Wheels.....................

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a movie, made in 1930, called "Just Imagine," in which the protagonist is an average man who falls into a coma and awakens in the futuristic world of 1980. In that world, the most popular makes of cars are the "Rosenblatt," the "Pinkus," and the "Goldfarb." Our hero laughs and says "Looks like somebody got even with Henry Ford!"

31 Model A

A-List Customer
There's a movie, made in 1930, called "Just Imagine," in which the protagonist is an average man who falls into a coma and awakens in the futuristic world of 1980. In that world, the most popular makes of cars are the "Rosenblatt," the "Pinkus," and the "Goldfarb." Our hero laughs and says "Looks like somebody got even with Henry Ford!"

k9g8j7.gif
I wonder what Henry Ford thought about that movie?

31 Model A

A-List Customer
It was a crisp clear morning, the sun had risen about an hour as I pulled out of the driveway. Took my time, stopped for breakfast, had steak and eggs, hash browns with onions, white toast and coffee. Traffic was subsiding as I pulled back onto the interstate where I had about twenty more miles to go. When I arrived and as I pulled into the parking lot, there she was, brightly shinning in the sunlight, she had on her Sunday-go-to-Church best on. I slowly walked up to her and as I approached, it was love at first sight. I walked all around her, following her curves with my hands around ther sides, back and front. Put my hands on her big round headlights was exhilarating. I then at a look at her engine, undercarriage. Opened her doors, inspected her interior and slid my legs in and between her steering wheel and I said WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could barely touch the pedals. I then noticed and was later confirmed, the back box had been removed and the seat had been adjusted back because the prior owner had been 6'2". That was corrected and put back in stock position. After that, it was a perfect length for her....and me. The back box and mohair cover will be fixed.

Her father came out with keys in hand and said "take her out" and boy did I. It took awhile and still it completely did not return to me the use of a clutch again, it had been years plus my left leg had deteriorate over the years. (had a run-in with some shrapnel in my younger years) Lot's of it is missing, been replaced and is hard to control clutches now but Sarah was gentle and understood.

So, off we went after following the proper start up procedure she kicked right over. My apprehension was for not. As I took her out, I whispered sweet things to her and she seems to react well as we went down the road.

Upon our return, I turned her off, ask her if she smoked, she said no, neither do I, so it was parting smiles as I slide out and back on solid grown.

Marriage papers were drawn up after discussing her dowry and she is coming to stay next week.

I am an official Model A owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah and myself....................

IMG_0002_edited-2.jpg IMG_0003_edited-2.jpg IMG_0005_edited-2.jpg

Last edited:
It was a crisp clear morning, the sun had risen about an hour as I pulled out of the driveway. Took my time, stopped for breakfast, had steak and eggs, hash browns with onions, white toast and coffee. Traffic was subsiding as I pulled back onto the interstate where I had about twenty more miles to go. When I arrived and as I pulled into the parking lot, there she was, brightly shinning in the sunlight, she had on her Sunday-go-to-Church best on. I slowly walked up to her and as I approached, it was love at first sight. I walked all around her, following her curves with my hands around ther sides, back and front. Put my hands on her big round headlights was exhilarating. I then at a look at her engine, undercarriage. Opened her doors, inspected her interior and slid my legs in and between her steering wheel and I said WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could barely touch the pedals. I then noticed and was later confirmed, the back box had been removed and the seat had been adjusted back because the prior owner had been 6'2". That was corrected and put back in stock position. After that, it was a perfect length for her....and me. The back box and mohair cover will be fixed.

Her father came out with keys in hand and said "take her out" and boy did I. It took awhile and still it completely did not return to me the use of a clutch again, it had been years plus my left leg had deteriorate over the years. (had a run-in with some shrapnel in my younger years) Lot's of it is missing, been replaced and is hard to control clutches now but Sarah was gentle and understood.

So, off we went after following the proper start up procedure she kicked right over. My apprehension was for not. As I took her out, I whispered sweet things to her and she seems to react well as we went down the road.

Upon our return, I turned her off, ask her if she smoked, she said no, neither do I, so it was parting smiles as I slide out and back on solid grown.

Marriage papers were drawn up after discussing her dowry and she is coming to stay next week.

I am an official Model A owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah and myself....................

View attachment 19847 View attachment 19848 View attachment 19849

Congratulations! You did well if it is as good as it looks---and it looks like it is. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It appraises out in category 2 condition out of four. Cat 1 is out of my price range. Fun to drive though.

Well, as beautiful as Sarah is, I would imagine, you had to give her father several thousand goats, in exchange for her hand!

SamSpade

New in Town
Gee, if that ain't a pretty paint job. I've been sniffin' around for a '30 Model A myself. I had found a few, but I wont be able to make any purchases 'till the beginning of next year, so it's a bit like window shopping without all the exercise and fresh air you would usually get. The winters are usually nice down here in North Carolina, so I don't know about dishing out 75 some dollars of scratch towards an after market exhaust heater.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Gee, if that ain't a pretty paint job. I've been sniffin' around for a '30 Model A myself. I had found a few, but I wont be able to make any purchases 'till the beginning of next year, so it's a bit like window shopping without all the exercise and fresh air you would usually get. The winters are usually nice down here in North Carolina, so I don't know about dishing out 75 some dollars of scratch towards an after market exhaust heater.

Shop around, you won't regret it. Join the Ford Barn forum and acquire a lot of great info to help with your decision. What to look for, what to expect, you can find it all there.

Sarah looks great but beauty is only skin deep and a few things to bring her up to modern safety standards I have the winter to correct. I'm learning quickly how to do things and from all the help from those on the Ford Barn makes it easy. Books and manuals are needed also.

This was taken the day she arrived home........................

IMG_0007_edited-2.jpg

Cheers...............

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Sam, look into joining a local club along with the Ford Barn. This way you can educate yourself before you buy and when you find a car bring along someone from the club. Keep in mind what you want to do with the car: parades, touring around town, long distance touring, hauling things etc. Also bear in mind what your mechanical abilities are, these cars are very simple but they have their quirks.

Mike

SamSpade

New in Town
Shop around, you won't regret it. Join the Ford Barn forum and acquire a lot of great info to help with your decision. What to look for, what to expect, you can find it all there.

Sarah looks great but beauty is only skin deep and a few things to bring her up to modern safety standards I have the winter to correct. I'm learning quickly how to do things and from all the help from those on the Ford Barn makes it easy. Books and manuals are needed also.

This was taken the day she arrived home........................

View attachment 20569

Cheers...............

Certainly. Although, NC state law doesn't require adding seatbelts if the vehicle was not originally manufactured with them, I suppose assuming that the vehicle was made well enough that it did not bother the manufacturers.

If the beauty is skin deep, I'd say Sarah wears it well. Thanks.

SamSpade

New in Town
Sam, look into joining a local club along with the Ford Barn. This way you can educate yourself before you buy and when you find a car bring along someone from the club. Keep in mind what you want to do with the car: parades, touring around town, long distance touring, hauling things etc. Also bear in mind what your mechanical abilities are, these cars are very simple but they have their quirks.

Mike

The Ford Barn sounds like a good deal. I plan to make the car my daily driver and have a reasonably good mechanical aptitude, along with that, my Dad turns wrenches for a living. "I love it when a plan comes together."

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Certainly. Although, NC state law doesn't require adding seatbelts if the vehicle was not originally manufactured with them, I suppose assuming that the vehicle was made well enough that it did not bother the manufacturers.

If the beauty is skin deep, I'd say Sarah wears it well. Thanks.

Same here in Illinois about seat belts and turn signals. I wasn't really talking about those upgrades, mechanical items such as fuel lines etc etc. Seatbelts in an A would actually be more dangerous with them. I have no intentions of driving Sarah where others go 55-105. Pure suicide...IMO. I do plan on putting on some turn signals though, seatbelts....no way.

SamSpade

New in Town
Same here in Illinois about seat belts and turn signals. I wasn't really talking about those upgrades, mechanical items such as fuel lines etc etc. Seatbelts in an A would actually be more dangerous with them. I have no intentions of driving Sarah where others go 55-105. Pure suicide...IMO. I do plan on putting on some turn signals though, seatbelts....no way.

Turn signals are seeming more and more like a good idea. I just joined the Ford Barn -- looks like they've got everything covered, again, thank you for the recommendation. I am not sure what I am going to name mine yet, I have always liked Effie-Mae. The name seems to conjure up the image of a bonnet-wearing southern belle.

There were quite a few Model A's on Craigslist, but I believe the ads may have expired, most of them seemed pretty solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21