Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new WW2 hobby- making homefront items

leaette

A-List Customer
I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head, but as a reenactor, anything WW2 is a disease.

I LOVE to crochet. So I've been making some repro scarves. I found the PERFECT USGI mustardy OD 100% wool yarn (didn't photo too well), so I'm very excited about that. I even found a roll of original Red Cross tags to sew on homemade items stating what chapter of the Red Cross made them.
I have a pattern for the turtleneck/chest dickey. I'm going to try making one of those too. I think my husband will like it when he's playing super soldier for those winter tactical battles.

I just wanted to show you because I'm proud of them. :)

scarves.jpg

JRB

New in Town
Leaette, where did you get the yarn? What manufacturer is it? I've been looking for some WWII colored OD wool for some time now. I picked up a booklet on home front knitting patterns. I don't knit and neither does my wife, but I know some people who do. Here's a web site that has knitting patterns:http://www.hjsstudio.com/tutorials.html. I assume your husband is getting ready for the FIG event. Jack

leaette

A-List Customer
oh yes, we go to FIG every year. My husband has been going for the past 14 years.
I didn't go this last time because I was pregnant at the time. My friends and I run the German French cafe. I really missed doing it this year.

as for the yarn:
I'm super picky when it comes to colors of OD wool yarn. For me personally, the yarns at the Joann's and Michael's are too forresty green for me. Too Vietnam-ish. I like to see more of a mustardy green for WW2.
I have seen various different colors of yarn used for Red Cross items and they run the gamment, but for me personally, I like the mustardy greens. It just looks more authentic. It took me 5 years to find it, but I found a perfect mustardy green WW2 color at my local yarn store. It's pricey at $20 a hank but a hank has more than a skein. So I think it's worth it. You get 430 yards in a hank.
If anyone is interested, it's from New Zealand and the name of it is: Wool Pak Yarns NZ- Pure New Zealand Wool. Color: Shade 30- Mt Green
If your yarn store doesn't carry it or can't order it, here is my yarn store, maybe they can ship to you:
http://www.dyedinthewoolpa.com/

JRB

New in Town
That is pricey, I guess (I have no idea of what you're talking about). I scanned the booklet on knitting patterns. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.
Where is the German French Cafe at FIG? I know of the one at Reading. Who are you and your husband with? I'm with the Big Red One Living History Organization. I know what you mean about the mustard color. One of our members picked up a vest on ebay a few years ago and it looks real good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24