Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Next Jacket?

shamus

Suspended
Congrats on the Jacket. I do love the highwayman jacket. Post some pics when it comes in. Which version did you get? Anniversary?, Alpaca?, inside pocket?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great choice, bullet proof all the way!!

When I bought the barnstormer Rick in the heavy front quarter HH, I did so because I was so impressed by the heavy duty nature of it. It was built to go on adventures in, to be rained and snowed on, to slide down mountainside scree in, to fly over the western front battling the hun..etc, etc. How often do you get to see that quality of leather in a high street store? just never. Even the overpriced jackets with names like Armani and Ralph Lauren do not have this sort of quality hide!!! yet the prices demand they should do. Go figure, as my American cousins would say!!

Even the Wested Indiana Jones jackets, (that I know many of my COW friends swear by) I feel are total light weights compared to the FQHH and wouldn't last a season in North Africa or flying over the Himalayas battling the baddies.
And if Indiana had been a real figure in the 20's and 30's, well, I bet he would have opted for a working mans FQHH leather jacket, that would grow in character as it got scratched and chunks knocked out of it and developed and aged patina in proportion to his adventures and the ordeals that life threw at him.

But, wouldn't it be so boring if we all had the same tastes in hides and jacket styles. We'd have little to talk about and discuss I guess!!:)

Looking forward to seeing your photos when the LW jacket comes through Rick, so plenty of pics please!!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
rick5150 said:
Thanks for the info Bellytank. Right after I buy the jacket, too.:rolleyes: Just kidding, it would not have changed my mind.

I didn't intend to change your mind at all- just airing my thoughts since we're discussing Horse. I like Aero's jackets and have owned a few.
You're buying into quality here.

Good choice.
B
T

rick5150

One of the Regulars
shamus said:
Congrats on the Jacket. I do love the highwayman jacket. Post some pics when it comes in. Which version did you get? Anniversary?, Alpaca?, inside pocket?

No special features. The standard brown Highwayman, size 40, with the brown Alpaca lining. No inside pocket. I do not generally like the inside chest pockets for horsehides. I almost went for the zip-sleeve custom, but I do not really want to change the classic look - although that one looks really awesome as well...

falcodriver

New in Town
I have to throw myself on the goatskin side. I have handled a lot of vintage leather jackets,and in my experience goatskin is the most durable. Personally, I think the believe that horsehide is tougher is pure fiction! ....Now, I'm sure to get some boo's and hissing, but it's the truth, close contest but goat wins by a nose!!!!!

Duane

green papaya

One Too Many
falcodriver said:
I have to throw myself on the goatskin side. I have handled a lot of vintage leather jackets,and in my experience goatskin is the most durable. Personally, I think the believe that horsehide is tougher is pure fiction! ....Now, I'm sure to get some boo's and hissing, but it's the truth, close contest but goat wins by a nose!!!!!

Duane

I agree, goatskin wears like iron plus it's lightweight and comfortable

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Paddy said:
Looking forward to seeing your photos when the LW jacket comes through Rick, so plenty of pics please!!
LW? I am getting the Aero ;)

You are right about the quality of leather. The only place I can even come close in stores is at thift shops. It is hard enough finding a decent leather jacket, never mind trying to find one in my size.

The local motorcycle shops have some more heavy-duty jackets but they just do not feel right - I cannot explain that either. The leather feels and looks inferior, albeit heavier than you will find at Wilson?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Leather or other so called ?¢‚Ǩ?ìLeather?¢‚Ǩ? stores. Plus, today?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s motorcycle jackets are cluttered with needless decorative seams, too many zippers and pockets, flaps, fringes and all that junk. There is something about the look and feel of the Highwayman. It streamlined and sleek - it would look just as great in the 1930's as it does today. Always in style; simple yet timeless. A true work of art.

Paddy said it best. The jacket looks as if it were built to go on adventures. The problem with many jackets is that they look great when displayed on a mannequin, but can look odd once they are worn by someone who is not shaped like a mannequin. I will find out soon enough...

shamus

Suspended
falcodriver said:

Duane

Now if you were a riding a motorcylce and fell off. Which would you prefer... a lightweight good goatskin or a thick FQ horse?

falcodriver

New in Town
You make it sound like that horse of yours can stop a 45 round! Just kidding!!! Actually, while I am adverse to trying your experiment, I believe the difference would be minimal. I would guess that horse or goat of similar thickness would yield similar results. Also, while that is certainly an admiral quality, I don't believe that has much effect on the durablilty over time issue.My2cents!

Duane

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
In a similar vein, I've been saving up to buy the 30s halfbelt for awhile but I can't decide between the regular length or the long half-belt. I love the classic cut of the regular length, but the long half-belt would allow me to wear garments that would normally stick out from the bottom of the relatively shorter regular half-belts bottom hem. Does anyone own either of these two jackets? I've been poised to buy one or the other for a few weeks now, I just can't make up my mind. Right now I'm leaning toards the long half-belt, because I figure if I want a shorter jacket I can always save up and buy a highwayman!

shamus

Suspended
Falco,

Not a 45 but maybe a 22. I don't think goats can get a thick skinned as a Horse, esp. a draft horse.

Goat is a great skin I agree, but horse is the next step up.

Of course if you really want the toughest, most durable hide, then go Kangaroo.

falcodriver

New in Town
As I recall, horse was actually cheaper to procur back in the 30's and 40's, but of course with the demise of the large horse farms over time in the U.S., that went the other way. ...Sorry to disagree, but it's not the next step for me!....As to stopping a 22, I would strongly urge you not trying that while wearing it!!!!!...However I have a .380 here that I would like to try though, if you happen to come by!.....As to kangaroo, does the pouch go on the front or the back!

Duane:p

shamus

Suspended
The reason horse was cheaper in the 30's/40's and used so much was lower cost of the tractors for all the small farmers. Farmers were selling off their draft horses by the millions and buying tractors to farm with. It was cheaper for manufacturers to make jackets and such with all the extra horsehides.

Horse is also had the advantage over other hides as you really only need about one hide per jacket.

American Horsehide is so expensive now because there just arn't that many horses around. As compaired to Goats and cattle.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Kangaroo is actually not nearly as tough as horsehide or goat, but it has a much higher tensile strength, so it is still strong, even when stretched very hard, and cut very thin.

Looks like a good choice, Rick. I can't wait to see some pictures. How long did they say it would be till delivery?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24