Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Next Jacket?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Work Jackets-

Just as I thought Twich- just my style. I have many different examples ranging from cotton, rayon and wool- they're classic.
I just wanted to see what you got.:)
I'm a big fan of the work-a-day gear- practical vintage clothing that you can wear without an occasion.

B
T

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
wednesday said:
That's pretty funny.
You can have clothes laundered or dry cleaned.
There is not enough dry cleaning formula in the world that would have me wearing someone else's shirts or pants. It's the principal of it.
I have a vintage Borsalino, but it doesn't even have a single crease in the sweatband, so I am assuming, and I keep telling myself, that no one ever wore it. And, there were four other hats from the same person and they were well worn, so I believe that is the case.
Basically, used clothes are someone's trash. I am not going to wear someone else's trash.
Including my own. If I get a stain or a hole in a piece of clothing, out it goes.
This is just my hang up though. My roommate buys all sort of dresses and coats from the Golden Age without a reservation. I don't fault anyone else for it. There are great bargainst out there.
My stuff is modern reproductions. That is my thing. :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
rick5150 said:
IndianaGuyBrush - If you can leave that under the tree you have amazing patience. I actually told the post office to hold it there and when it arrived, since no one would be home for delivery. I drove up immediately when it arrived and left the post office parking lot wearing the jacket.

You jacket mainiacs are my kinda people! When my Aero "Real Deal" 1942 contract arrived I had to pick it up at the post office...box into trunk of car...box cutter in hand...jacket on back and off to work. I didn't even inspect it at all (it was perfect anyway).

Rick, beautiful jacket BTW. Cheers!

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Rick, How many leather jackets do you have now? Do you mind saying? I must have seen you get at least four in the time I have known you.

Over 15 right now. I have 4 Wested Indy's (plus a fifth that I gave my wife) the Archer 1930's jacket, the Highwayman, my Dad's old jacket, and about 9 or 10 miscellaneous ebay leathers. Some pretty good, others going to Goodwill.

About wearing other people' jackets - I have no problem with it except for the moldy-smelling jackets and the cigarette smoke reeking jackets. :rage:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
rick5150 said:
Over 15 right now. I have 4 Wested Indy's (plus a fifth that I gave my wife) the Archer 1930's jacket, the Highwayman, my Dad's old jacket, and about 9 or 10 miscellaneous ebay leathers. Some pretty good, others going to Goodwill.

About wearing other people' jackets - I have no problem with it except for the moldy-smelling jackets and the cigarette smoke reeking jackets. :rage:
Wow! Rick, that is a lot of jackets. You should post a picture of all of them together.
Strangely enough, I don't mind wearing used jackets either, unless they're smelly. I just don't like to wear anything that is directly against the skin.
That shows you how mental I am, in this regard.;) :)

rick5150

One of the Regulars
The way I look at it is - I always donate clothes to Goodwill. I do not consider myself excessively smelly and would be offended if I saw people grab my clothes off a rack and say that it is disgusting to wear them because the person who had them before (me) wore them close to their body.

In Salem, NH there is a decent Salvation Army shop that cleans the clothes and arranged them by article and by color. Plus, when I get them home, I clean them prior to wearing them. Most are simply clothes that do not fit the previous owner anymore - and not the ragtag, moth-ridden, torn, broken-zippered clothes that many associate with thrift shops.

I have seen clothes in the thrift shop that are far better quality than what I walked in wearing too.:eek:

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Do you stay inside all the time?

Twitch said:
Well I kinda don't care too much for 2nd hand shirts and the "who sweated in this?" factor either but jackets are OK. We all have our little peccadillos. My Howard Hughes quirky syndrome is perspiring. I hate it. It makes me feel crummy.

I've just stopped sweating for a few months. I'll start again in May. Unless you stay inside y'all will be sweating most of the year in Southeast Texas.

Sweating makes me feel alive and gets me loosened up.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Biltmore! Yeah when hot weather is in full swing in Texas you sweat through you clothes by 9AM!!

The casual/work style jackets are timeless. The 30's style is identical to each decade's hence. My uncles' bodyshop work jacket from the 40s-50s is the exact same as one I had in the 70s!

The casual Eisenhower-cut waists have been around before Ike made them popular. And Howard Hughes wore waist-length zipper front lightweight jackets in the cockpit and around the hangers over simple shirts and chinos or casual slacks. When he popped on the fedora he had a superb look.

For me the heavy flight jackets are too much but the other era-style unlined thinner leathers are more comfortable due to the flexability.

There is just lots of retro-styled clothing that once can purchase new and not even think about "2nd hand" stigma. New Wellington boots will go with all of it too.

Barry

Practically Family
My black highwayman cleared customs around 8:00PM tonight and it's enroute to the delivery depot. My guess is it will arrive either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks for the link, Rick.

Barry

rick5150

One of the Regulars
The anticipation is the worst thing. From what I have read of your posts you had a brown leather jacket before. What kind of leather was that? Was it a thick jacket?

You will find that the Aero jacket is one of the highest quality jackets you have owned. Did you modify the design in any way? (i.e. special lining)?

FYI, my jacket is breaking in quickly, so do not be discouraged by the thickness of the leather when you get it. It does not take long to feel like your personally made suit of armor : )

Of course, pictures, pictures, pictures...

Harry Lime

Suspended
Dream jackets? I think I finally found mine.

Interesting thread for all us nuts out here (and many of us coat and jacket guys, myself included, are a little nuts about the particulars of these items.) After years and years of trying I think I finally got my dream coat. And there have been many, many attempts.

The coat - a shearling lined Aero Barnstormer in dark brown horsehide. It is absolutely gorgeous, fits like a dream, is so warm and comfortable as to not be believed and simply fantastic. This is one special coat. And to qualify I own several other Aero Barnstormers in other colors, all fantastic jackets, the shearling (particularly in the dark brown) is simply a stand out.

I've owned many vintage and repro jackets/coats over the years, an embarrassing amount really, in my quest for the perfect one. While the debate will rage I can honestly say Lost Worlds and Aero make things as good as any vintage maker bar none IMHO. There are other good modern makers as well, but these two stand out (particularly when talking about "day to day" models, not the particular lunacies of the flight jacket mob. That's a whole different kettle of fish.)

As for the "are they authentic or heavier" question (which was a good one, posted by the always articulate and hirstute Belly Tank): I actually think these makers are pretty accurate. This is based on my own observations (and life with) both vintage and these modern makers. I think "out of the box" they do seem stiff but if you've ever seen a true old stock, never worn authentic vintage they are the same way. What's remarkable is how fast the change as you break them in. As they get more supple they seem to get "thinner" and less stiff.

Finally, a breaking in tip - water and time. Period. Rain, dampness, etc is a horsehide jackets best friend. Water doesn't hurt the leather at all. Get it wet (as in wear in a sopping rain storm), move through your range of motion in the jacket, then twist and roll the sleeves, etc. You will be suprised how quickly the jacket breaks in. Wear it while you're driving as well - sitting on the coat will loosen the seams and your body heat will loosen the fibes as well. I have modern coats that seem vintage and this is all I do - sanding them, filing them, etc is for poseurs. Not something I can imagine a man in the '30's and '40's doing. As this happens be warned - the jacket will also lose some "shine" - that shiny pair of shoes look the coat has when you first take it out of the box.

And finally finally...if horse or goat are too stiff or just not your cup of tea allow me to suggest deer or elk. Wonderful and suprisingly tough hides that offer a hand and drape like no others. Extrodinarily luxurious (and often costly) but completely worth it if you find a nice example.

Harry

Harry Lime

Suspended
Apologies...

BT,

Sorry - hirstute is not a word. In my blur of writing I screwed up. I meant "astute" and I actually did mean to compliment you. I've enjoyed your posts, sorry you didn't care for mine. I have no idea (or interest) in how hairy you are.

Harry Lime

Harry Lime

Suspended
Sigh of relief...

I wasn't sure and I didn't want to offend one of my favorite posters (not "poseur".) Glad you're not mad, your posts are so often well-informed and referenced. I also like that you tend to clearly seperate "fact" from "opinion." And you're a better speller than I am as well.

BT, many of your jackets seem to be acquired in europe, which is where you must be based. Are vintage jackets more plentiful and decently priced in Europe or are you just lucky/well researched as to where to acquire them? I believe you own a couple of 3/4 length jackets that are very nice. Horse or goat?

Herry Lyiaame ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You old flatterer Harry...

I thank you again and am glad that you appreciate my ramblings.
If you can see the text below my avatar, you'll see that I'm in Copenhagen, Denmark.

European leathers are mostly Goat or Cow hide- seldom Horse but some nice, grainy, featured leather nonetheless... I have had a lot of classic American jackets but am now favouring the European stuff, partly because if I'm going to dress vintage, I might as well do it European-style and partly because I like them and they are relatively cheap so far and I don't have to pay interbational postage...

The longer, German coats are usually Cow, or perhaps something else but not horse.
If you look on www.ebay.de, the German one, you will always find bargains.

I have picked up a few in Denmark and Sweden over the years but vintage shops are almost non-existent over here- (or full of '70s gear)have to keep the eyes peeled in junk shops. As I mentioned, the European jackets and the plentiful German 3/4 jackets/coats are not Horsehide but they ARE plentiful and even '50s models are rich with the same earlier vintage detailing- scalloped yokes front and back, etc.

There is a picture of a Swedish jacket in a thread you have apparently seen, which is russet coloured Goatskin and is quite fancy.

What size do you need? Any preferences? What style are you looking for?

B
T

Harry Lime

Suspended
Rarer than hen's teeth for myself...

I'm afraid vintage of my size scarcely exist. I'm 6'4", 235 lbs (I attribute all of this to modern diets, food additives and preservatives :beer: ) Vintage of this size is scarce, although I do have a couple of German overcoats from this time that fit well. One is a dark blue/grey, the other is a very dark green. Both appear to be custom made from that time, both are cowhide (but very good cowhide). The linings are what are really special - kind of a soft moleskin that you would never see today. Very, very nice coats, both single breasted with the unique inner belt snap-button fastener.

I looked on the Ebay link you kindly included but my non-existent German made navigating a little tough. Again, the 48-50 longs (American measurements) are pretty scarce anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Harry Lime

Barry

Practically Family
rick5150 said:
The anticipation is the worst thing. From what I have read of your posts you had a brown leather jacket before. What kind of leather was that? Was it a thick jacket?

My old leather jacket was a "bomber style" jacket that I bought at a department store. I'm pretty sure it was cowhide (and a low grade cowhide at that). To be honest the leather quality was a joke compared to the Highwayman. There's just no comparison. The old jacket was super soft and the leather was thin. It did not hold up very well and started looking terrible after one season.

Btw: The Highwayman came this afternoon (along with some conditioner/cleaner and two great Aero scarves). It is one heck of a tough jacket. I now understand what people mean by "bulletproof." I love it! I actually feel protected inside the jacket. It reminds of the leather jackets that I have seen the DC mounted police or park police wearing here in DC.

Although I am 100% satisfied with the jacket I think I should have ordered some additional features - including pockets on the inside and possibly zippered sleeves.

The half-belt looks tempting - maybe next year.

I'll post some photos later in the week.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24