Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My quest to find a Conmar Conmatic zipper for my vintage leather Irvin Foster jacket

jon z

One of the Regulars
Using PayPal for Yen

Hey Navin.
IIRC you get the option when sending money of which currency you want to send.
John.

Edit: Yep, just went into my account & there's a drop-down menu for currencies.

Navin323i

Practically Family
jon z said:
Hey Navin.
IIRC you get the option when sending money of which currency you want to send.
John.

Edit: Yep, just went into my account & there's a drop-down menu for currencies.

Thanks bro! Will go ahead now and send Mash-Japan the money via PayPal. :)

Edit: Just sent the payment! Man, I should have been more observant... the drop down menu for currencies was right there in plain sight... blame it on my old age, haha!

Now I wish I had paid sooner... the 6290 yen that I paid is $70.11 today but earlier this week it was $67.34. That's what I get for procrastinating.

jon z

One of the Regulars
No worries Fella. Should've taken my advice back on the 1st of this month & bought the zip from MASH. Would've have saved you a whole heap of trouble, time & possibly some $s. Oh well at least things are progressing & you'll soon have a jacket that'll give you years of pleasure & wear. Don't be surprised if for the modest outlay this is costing you compared to the Aero you prefer it. I go for vintage every time over repro. In fact I have another in my sights right now.
Cheers, John

Navin323i

Practically Family
jon z said:
No worries Fella. Should've taken my advice back on the 1st of this month & bought the zip from MASH. Would've have saved you a whole heap of trouble, time & possibly some $s. Oh well at least things are progressing & you'll soon have a jacket that'll give you years of pleasure & wear. Don't be surprised if for the modest outlay this is costing you compared to the Aero you prefer it. I go for vintage every time over repro. In fact I have another in my sights right now.
Cheers, John

You're so right, my friend... I should have heeded your advice sooner... at that time I was focusing my efforts on finding a Conmatic zipper and not a regular Conmar zipper like the one Mash-Japan sells. I figured I could save money by purchasing a jacket with a Conmatic zipper but then after my not-so-good experience with finding a jacket with a zipper length that the seller told me was a certain size but turned out to be less and too small for my jacket, I decided to bite the bullet and go with a Conmar from Mash-Japan.

Interesting point you make about me possibly preferring this vintage Irvin leather jacket over my Aero, but that shouldn't be an issue for me... wait until you see my Aero... then you'll understand how "special" that jacket will be, plus I figure I'll wear the Irvin during warmer weather and the Aero possibly in more colder weather... either that or I just switch off and wear each jacket every other day, haha! :D

Navin

Navin323i

Practically Family
SUCCESS!!

My Conmar zipper arrived from Mash-Japan about 3 days after I placed the order last week. Zipper length is slightly larger than my current zipper on the jacket which is fine because my tailor will be able to shorten the zipper to the appropriate length.

When my tailor first saw the Conmar zipper he thought it was junk and no good because the zipper is aluminum... he prefers brass zippers. However all the posts I've seen on the internet all seem to suggest that aluminum is fine... regular steel zippers are the ones that aren't good because of their tendency to rust.

The jacket, zipper, and replacement lining are now with my tailor so in about a month I should get my jacket back.

My zipper quest has officially ended... my thanks to you all here for your help. :)

Conmar1.jpg

Conmar2.jpg

Conmar3.jpg

OLD GIT

New in Town
Conmar is the old name for Ideal zippers

Hi zipper freaks

Conmar was the brand used by what is now called Ideal Zip fasteners. Check out www.idealfastener.com. They still produce Conmar for retro garment manufacturing, brands such as J Crew in USA specify Conmar on their military inspired jackets. You may be able to get Ideal to send you a zipper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner