Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My second home made hat: The Speakeasy

Stoney

Practically Family
PublicEnemy.jpg

I've always liked the hats that Cagney wore in The Public Enemy. There's just something about that tall crown and narrow brim that flips my trigger. It also doesn't hurt that the hats were worn by James Cagney in the role that I'll always remember him for. His hat inspired my second home made hat which I call The Speakeasy. The hat is very similar to this one from the movie with the following exceptions: The bow is a standard on the side type rather than on the back, I've cut the ribbon width down to 1 1/2" rather than 2" and I also added a wind trolley to finish it off.

TheHAt.jpg

This is the liner of the hat with a Flapper inside, what else would would find in any respectable Speakeasy? My Grand Nephew Evan is modeling the Hat, and hamming it up as usual. He really likes the hat and wants me to make one for him just like it. I guess I'll have to call Leko and order another Loden Green hat body. ;)

Liner-Evan.jpg

I have over 25 hours invested in the construction of this hat and I have to say that it looks and feels great. I just wish I was a better photographer as the pictures really do not do it justice. The colors in the shot above are pretty close to the real shades.

Jimmy the Lid and Spatterdash asked that I post something on Wind Trolleys so I took a few photos as I installed this one. I'm still editing those so my apologies, I'll try to get that info posted as soon as I can .Hopefully this Easter Sunday.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Amazing! You are a true inspiration!

The hat looks great, and I love that lid on Cagney, too.

Anj

59Lark

Practically Family
enthralled by all this information on feadoras

Until I found this group, I thought I was one of the last of the holdouts. My 80 year old yugoslavian hatmaker moved away and my clothier retiring at 75 this year. I thought I was doomed and even made arrangements to buy my fedoras from the factory in montreal magill, I own a business so they would deal with me. Then with this new laptop my family were adament that I purschase. This year I have found a place in west greenfield in. to buy just about anything for my studebaker sedan. And now with this group as a reference and its sponsors it looks like i should no longer have a problem finding something to wear on my head. I apolgize in advance for any misnomers or errors , as i am a novice on writing and computers, remember even in my trade sewing machine dealer , i am the last dealer in Canada selling treadle sewing machine in a computer age. thank you mike lark59

My, Stoney, but you do nice work. You're an inspiration, man. I'm really diggin' the bow on that one.

So, you're essentially self-taught? Or ... ? Keep this up, and we'll soon be pickin' your brain.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Fabulous looking chapeau, Stoney! That bow is really something; I like how you've hidden the stitches between the folds, a la VS or Optimo. Stellar job! Looking forward to the wind-trolley photos...

Regards, Andy

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Stoney bravo!!

It seems you are really creative.
Question do you have also other hobbies which need skilled hands?
The hat the lining and the ribbon are really great!
DIY par excellence - if your masters retire you must stand the place!

Congratulations:

Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Stoney -- an inspired effort! Very, very nice!!! :eusa_clap

Really gets a guy thinking about giving it a try...;)

Looking forward to the wind trolley info when you get a chance.

Cheers,
JtL

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow......Stoney

Amazing job, really. You can make a lid for me any day my friend, and that's no joke. I don't mind waiting in line behind ur great nephew. :D

The color combination is spot on, I think you nailed it. :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks so much for the comments guys. I'm glad that you all liked it.

tonyb, I'm definitely not self taught. I've gleaned a lot of information from this forum's posters like yourself. I never would have tried this before being a member here.

Airforceindy,

Actually my hat pales in comparison to Art's and Graham's work. You can see my stitches, although they are small, clearly in the wind trolley post.

Bolthead, Thanks for your support but I need to fine tune my technique before even thinking of making something for others. I'm on the right track, but I'm sure I'lll be retired from my real job before selling hats that I make myself, if ever. I hope you order some hat making materials and post one of your own making. I would like to see a Bolthead original.

Hungary Tom, Thanks for the confidence in my abilities. I think it is more perseverance than skill on my part. I just keep working at it until I'm satisfied. I used to be an electronics tech so I have done quite a bit of fine work with my hands.

And Art..What can I say ..coming from you what more could a guys ask for than a compliment like that.

Thank you all,

Stoney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran