Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Second Thedi Arrived- Mixed feelings

This type jacket I would only prefer in this exact length, which I think looks absolutely brilliant on you, as you do in it; But I can 100% understand why you might be uncomfortable with it. It is a short jacket.

HOWEVER! It is my strong opinion that that one inch wouldn't make much, if any difference whatsoever, as demonstrated by the comparison against the jacket that gives off an illusion of being longer; That there is in fact any difference between the two, I realized only while scrolling through the OP the third time & comparing the distances between the seams on your jeans. Otherwise, they seem identical.

In short, takes time, but shorter jackets are cooler & if you feel you can wear it, do it. If not, remake might be in order but if you want my opinion, I'd keep this perfection of a jacket.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Just adding one thing to my first post. Your post made me go to Thedi’s site to look at this model again. This made me realise that the length on yours is almost exactly the length of the one shown on their site.

73467CD8-EF0E-4CA6-8FCB-A34E23744204.jpeg

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I think the jacket looks perfect in both fit and construction, if it were mine it would break my heart to send it back, however fit is a personal thing and after a few days go with what you think, I’d be tempted to buy some higher rise jeans first to see if that changed my mind.
D

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Honest feedback?

Short but not too short for an OTR-fit. As you requested more lenght, it´s a personal thing if you can live with it or feel a constant itch.

Why does it look shorter than the other jacket? Are the comparison pix taken at the same time? Could it be that you´ve gained 1-2 pounds (Covid-fat and/or weightlifting)? This would make the jacket ride up a bit. You won´t notice in a fully broken in jacket.

BTW: Both jackets looks absolutely great!

nickv

One of the Regulars
Many thanks to all of you who have responded with your honest feedback. I really appreciate it.
I did not realise that this style jacket is a "Trucker style jacket " at time of ordering. I have seen numerous pictures on the web with this same Thedi model and it does not look like a Trucker short style jacket in the various pics i have seen. Anyway, I have contacted Theodoros explaining my dilema and he replied straight away, first thing in the morning as he opened up for business, and offered to remake me a new jacket & stipulated that the model pattern is shorter than the first one i have . He also asked me for some pics of me wearing the jacket.
I emailed the pics and he replied saying that the jacket fits like a glove on me. He also agrees that it is slightly shorter than the other jacket ,but he knew that making it and he did not want to add any more length to it , which would upset the aesthetics of the design because it being a different pattern than the first and wanted to give me a more unique jacket , different to the first.
After reading all of your replies and especially from, Tony @ton312 , @TREEMAN , @58panheadfan , @Guppy ,Marc @Marc mndt , @ torfjord ,@Monitor being fans of shorter jackets,i am seeing your valid points here as well as Theodoros's, adding length to it might upset the balance. As @Monitor says This is a short jacket ,the shortest jacket i have ever worn. Maybe im not used to wearing this short.Even my wife is seeing the "Trucker style"side of it, saying it will look better once i start wearing it with layers underneath , and not so posed with T shirt tucked in jeans especially my old light wash jeans i used in both sets of pics She digged up this photo of Daniel Craig wearing a very short Trucker style cut jacket which looks very short and said she loves "this look" with some layers underneath.

DanielCraig_Highwayman.jpg

Everyone here has made some good honest points, After going thru my wardrobe with my wife and pairing it with more newer pairs of darkwash jeans and chinos, and layers underneath the jacket, my wife loves it and i have warmed up to the various looks i can accomplish with a shorter jacket.
I have decided to keep it and learn to accept it is the loook Theodoros wanted this jacket for my body. Make no mistake this is another "top tier" made jacket by Thedi. The little insecurity just got the better of me, Many thanks to all who replied . Just have to wait for our summer to finish now.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What I was still thinking... possibly this jacket also settles a bit when it is broken in. Because with the same back length it should not be much shorter than the other.
Overall a very nice jacket.

Many thanks to all of you who have responded with your honest feedback. I really appreciate it.
I did not realise that this style jacket is a "Trucker style jacket " at time of ordering. I have seen numerous pictures on the web with this same Thedi model and it does not look like a Trucker short style jacket in the various pics i have seen. Anyway, I have contacted Theodoros explaining my dilema and he replied straight away, first thing in the morning as he opened up for business, and offered to remake me a new jacket & stipulated that the model pattern is shorter than the first one i have . He also asked me for some pics of me wearing the jacket.
I emailed the pics and he replied saying that the jacket fits like a glove on me. He also agrees that it is slightly shorter than the other jacket ,but he knew that making it and he did not want to add any more length to it , which would upset the aesthetics of the design because it being a different pattern than the first and wanted to give me a more unique jacket , different to the first.
After reading all of your replies and especially from, Tony @ton312 , @TREEMAN , @58panheadfan , @Guppy ,Marc @Marc mndt , @ torfjord ,@Monitor being fans of shorter jackets,i am seeing your valid points here as well as Theodoros's, adding length to it might upset the balance. As @Monitor says This is a short jacket ,the shortest jacket i have ever worn. Maybe im not used to wearing this short.Even my wife is seeing the "Trucker style"side of it, saying it will look better once i start wearing it with layers underneath , and not so posed with T shirt tucked in jeans especially my old light wash jeans i used in both sets of pics She digged up this photo of Daniel Craig wearing a very short Trucker style cut jacket which looks very short and said she loves "this look" with some layers underneath.

View attachment 391857

Everyone here has made some good honest points, After going thru my wardrobe with my wife and pairing it with more newer pairs of darkwash jeans and chinos, and layers underneath the jacket, my wife loves it and i have warmed up to the various looks i can accomplish with a shorter jacket.
I have decided to keep it and learn to accept it is the loook Theodoros wanted this jacket for my body. Make no mistake this is another "top tier" made jacket by Thedi. The little insecurity just got the better of me, Many thanks to all who replied . Just have to wait for our summer to finish now.
Great decision and I can tell you from experience that if it fell where you were thinking it should, you’d hate it. Despite Denny warning me (multiple times) that I was spec’ing my PHWM too long I insisted it sit where handimike has shown and I positively blew it. Like a long leather tube. These styles, with low waist adjusters have to be a bit shorter. Or you end up like this:
05046378-CCFD-42A8-A20E-94A800FF0598.jpeg

I knew the minute I put it on I should’ve listened and had the back length at least 1” shorter.
Anyway, good call.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
L

View attachment 391857

Congrats @nickv, that jacket with 2 sets of detachable collar is just too nice. I'm late to the party but I'm glad that you are keeping the jacket as is. I am in favor of shorter jacket lengths for leather/denim jackets so I found the fit photos looking quite ideal so I hope the look/fit growns on you. Not sure if it will be your style but you may want to try pairing the jacket with jeans/trousers with a higher back rise to fill in that visual gap between the jacket hem to the back pocket.

picture below is a jacket with a 22.5" back length with pants having a 16" back rise?
IMG_9683.jpg

how do you find the Canetto cowhide compared to the Buffalo?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice post there Nickv - it's always interesting getting something we've highly anticipated and then realize it's a little different than we expected. Really glad your wife is supportive on this!

I didn't say it is clearly in my post, but I would also wear this jacket as-is or try and find a little higher-rider trousers to make it work. It's so perfect of a jacket in so many ways! Wear it, break it in, and enjoy the heck out of it! Sounds like you'll be doing this inside for a while.

El Marro

I am sensitive to short jackets—don't like them. However, I don't see anything too short about your jacket. No way in the world would I even think about sending this one back.
That’s my feeling as well. My gauge is my belt, if it covers the belt I can deal with it but if it rides up over the belt buckle then it is gone! I think this jacket looks great.

jonbuilder

View attachment 391857

I think you made a sound decision and I give Theodoros credit for his response and willingness to make you happy. The 1/2"
short the jacket turned out compared to your request is within the i/2" tolerance many leather jacket makes have. Aero and LW come to mind

Fit is a very personal thing. I know within 10 seconds if it feels right or not- on me.
Yours is a beautiful jacket, and I’m glad your wife helped you decide to keep it. As others mentioned, you could always pair it with higher rise pants/jeans if you find it still on the shorter side going forward. Wranglers are a good entry-point.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
This dilemma is exactly why i hate custom orders as opposed to otr. Not like you can ask for 1 size bigger for a fit comparison. I get that the length has that vintage fit but it’s the one part of vintage fit i don’t care for. Imo the problem lies with the present average pants rise. With a 32/33 pants size i like a “mid rise” at about 11”. A short jacket like that looks better with 12” plus.
For me (and i’m guessing several others here) nagging internal voices only get louder with time. My experience is your first instinct is usually correct and if someone asks about fit here in their heart they already know the answer.

My experience is the exact opposite; I know now that my first instinct is based entirely on fear of trying something completely new & I have learned to disregard it when it comes to things that I love seeing on others & wish to see on myself. No matter of how loud that inner voice, telling me to go back to whatever I feel safe in, is.

Needless to add, not a single bold choice I had made so far has made me regret ignoring my first instinct. Not one!

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
you know what's frustrating is if you said something they'd probably tell you half an inch is within their tolerances lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner