Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Swing Era dictionary

Fowljesse

New in Town
Have you heard a word, or phrase from between the mid '20s, and late '40s and wondered what it meant? If so, I may have an answer, and possibly etymology for you. Leave it here, and I'll see.... I have been compiling a dictionary for many years, as part of my passion for vintage style. It's still a couple of years from publication, and I like to be kept on my toes.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A lot of the slang-phrases of the 20s probably also predate the 20s. For example, the word 'shine' (to 'take a shine to someone', or to be attracted to someone) goes back to the Victorian era.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
My husband and I frequently watch DVD's of movies with the subtitles/closed captioning on, not because we're hard of hearing but it's amazing at how much dialogue gets missed, especially if the actor is off-screen or whispering. It's also amazing, if it's an old movie, how many strange-to-us words, slang and phrases are emphasized by the subtitles. I then Google said slang and phrases to learn about them, and it makes the movie the next time I watch it more meaningful.

For example, some slang from Kitty Foyle: "Do it up Brown," and "Coal oil Johnnie."

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The very word 'Movie' is a slang-term. From the fuller term of 'moving picture'.

'Cinema' from Cinematograph.

Another common one was Hooky or Hookie, meaning to skip school ("playing hooky" meant being truant from school).

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Oh this should be a fun thread. I've always wondered about the cat's pajamas...I know it's a term for cool but it always brings to mind what we did as kids...dressing our cat up in doll clothes. ;)

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
In the Little Rascals Playing Hooky was often shown as the kids skipping school to go fishing. Wonder if the Hook and fishing are related.

I remember my parents bringing home VHS copies of the Little Lulu cartoons. There was one episode "Bout with a Trout" where she played hooky and went fishing. (Not to mention it's probably my favorite cartoon since it's got Bing singing "Swinging on a Star.")

Fowljesse

New in Town
Oh this should be a fun thread. I've always wondered about the cat's pajamas...I know it's a term for cool but it always brings to mind what we did as kids...dressing our cat up in doll clothes. ;)
Yeah, that's a fun one. As far as I know the phrases like this were just funny pairings of thongs that didn't go together (Bee's knees being the most popular) There was also The Elephant's wrists, The Snake's hips, The Ant's eyebrows, etc..

Fowljesse

New in Town
Thanks, Lolly. I didn't find this when I searched. I'm going to read it all soon!
Talbot "A real George to try" is just after my cut-off date, and means "Easy, or fun to try." It's more associated with "Bop" use.
I could add a bunch of words to the original thread, if you'd like. This thread is more for answering questions :)

Last edited:
I mentioned this to my brother today. He remembered it, too. Took us both back to being kids. I think I still have that VHS somewheres.

I remember my parents bringing home VHS copies of the Little Lulu cartoons. There was one episode "Bout with a Trout" where she played hooky and went fishing. (Not to mention it's probably my favorite cartoon since it's got Bing singing "Swinging on a Star.")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace