Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My third work of stingy Art

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I got this hat a while back but only just now started breaking it out. It's a homburg with a 1 3/8" rolled brim. Art called me before he sent it and said, "I just wanted you to know it's...well, it's really jaunty." Heck yes I said, bring it on. Oodles of compliments every time I wear it. Surprising to me is the fact it goes with nearly anything, makes any get-up look better, even jeans and a T (God forbid). Thank you once again, Art!

homburg.jpg

MAB1

Suspended
I'm trying to understand that stingy brim craze. It's more about style than function.

In my opinion... the stingy brims of the late 50's and early 60's killed the need for a functional hat. Stylish hats offered no shade.

I'm very happy that a new generation has picked up on hats. But, I wish you were all wearing REAL brims.

I saw this young fella sing at a club the other nite. Great Big Guy in a little pork pie. It didn't make sense to me. I told him ,"A Big Man needs a big brim."

It's all perception and perspection semantics. Along with being a generational thing.

Sorry, had to Rant a bit

Nice hat btw

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
adamgottschalk said:
I got this hat a while back but only just now started breaking it out. It's a homburg with a 1 3/8" rolled brim. Art called me before he sent it and said, "I just wanted you to know it's...well, it's really jaunty." Heck yes I said, bring it on. Oodles of compliments every time I wear it. Surprising to me is the fact it goes with nearly anything, makes any get-up look better, even jeans and a T (God forbid). Thank you once again, Art!

homburg.jpg
Rockin' hat! You should search this site for Weegee's Monk! Here you go -
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=24059&highlight=weegee+monk

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
MAB1 - For some stingies just work better! Anything over 2-1/8 looks awful on me. I have to go brim up too! Sure, it's style over function! But, hey, just wearin' a lid says sumthin'!

Viper Man

Banned
Very cool hat, Adam. I am patiently awaiting my first VS hat and it has a 2" brim.

MAB1 - I wear and appreciate hats with brims ranging from 1 7/8" to 3" but like Mr. Lucky, I feel that the shape of my face looks best in the 2 -2 1/2" range. "REAL brims" ? Not sure what that means. I like to think that it's all personal preference. I wouldn't dream of telling Sinatra he looks foolish in his stingy brim Cavanaghs. [huh]

Anyways, what's a 1/2" give or take? :D

For what it's worth, I hardly think stingies are a "craze".

Feraud

Bartender
adamgottschalk said:

homburg.jpg
That hat looks great and good to see you posting again.

MAB1 said:
I'm trying to understand that stingy brim craze. It's more about style than function.

In my opinion... the stingy brims of the late 50's and early 60's killed the need for a functional hat. Stylish hats offered no shade.

I'm very happy that a new generation has picked up on hats. But, I wish you were all wearing REAL brims.
What is with the "real brim" talk? What exactly is the measurement of effective sun protection? A fedora is chosen over other hats due to style(hint: our ego!) and not some mythical sun protection factor. :rolleyes: Whether the brim is one inch or three makes no difference.
If we are honest about "practical" headwear a baseball cap along with almost any shirt will provide adequate sun protection. Baseball caps are cheap, available anywhere and we need not worry about anyone handling, stealing, losing, or misplacing the cap.

Hat decline started decades before the 50-60s stingy brim style. That is fact and not opinion.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Ranting back

MAB1 said:

I saw this young fella sing at a club the other nite. Great Big Guy in a little pork pie. It didn't make sense to me. I told him ,"A Big Man needs a big brim."

It's all perception and perspection semantics. Along with being a generational thing.

Sorry, had to Rant a bit

Nice hat btw
I'll post more photos tout de suite.

Ranting a bit back at ya, MAB1. I happen to believe that 98% of men wear hats with brims far too large for them. I believe strongly that an urban gent has no business wearing hats with brims wider than 2", or 2.5" max. Anything more is for cowboys. That's exactly what I think when I see a man in suit and a hat with a 3" wide brim: a cowboy who looks as though he's swimming beneath his lid, and what's with the suit?

Wider brims do NOT compliment your average man; I must vehemently disagree with you. Cowboys and forest rangers need wide brims; city people should avoid them. The late '50s early '60s is MY era. Stingy brims are not hip just because they're hip--they look better, hipper, on most men. A guy my age (35-40) must most assuredly avoid wide brims, as they speak to the 20th century while here we are in the 21st. Most guys need stingy brim hats if they want to look good, sharp, and not like they're wearing a costume. Flame away.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Adam,

That's a sweet-looking lid; I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of it as well.

I've gotta disagree with both you and MAB1, though, regarding brims. I think it all comes down to what looks good on an individual. With my face currently being fairly large and round I think a wider brim works better than a stingy; a possible exception would be a pork-pie. Three inches, though would certainly be my maximum width--you get any wider than that and it starts to look like a caricature of a fedora. I prefer something in the 2 1/2" area.

My son, though, is stunning in a stingy brim. I say stunning because whenever I see him in one of the hats I've given him I'm amazed at just how well they suit him. I don't think a wide brim would suit him near as well.

I'm a bit amused by your reference to wide brims speaking to the 20th century, as though stingy brims do not--both types can be said to speak to the 20th century as that's where they came from but I prefer to refer to them as being "timeless." :D

I also feel that stingy brims work better on younger men, but again the reality is that it still depends upon the individual's look. As Feraud points out, it's about style. But, Feraud, I do have to point out that you're wrong regarding the protection a baseball cap provides. I've had the flaming-red ears in the past to prove it!:eusa_doh: Last Saturday I was at a university graduation--outside, lovely spring day, not too hot, wearing a felt hat with a relatively wide brim. Everyone else around me came away with sunburned faces, ears, and neck, while I did not. A case when style provided a function.:p

Regards,
Tom

Feraud

Bartender
Tango Yankee said:
But, Feraud, I do have to point out that you're wrong regarding the protection a baseball cap provides. I've had the flaming-red ears in the past to prove it!:eusa_doh:
Oops. I stand corrected. Forgot about the ears. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
If I could look ok in a 2 inch brim I would wear one sometimes, but I don't so I don't. I like wider brims and nothing wrong with westerns!! Yippee Kiyay....!!!:D :D :D

hatflick1

Practically Family
Pinkie Stingy

Great hat!
In fact, it made me nostalgic. In the fifties there was a popular kids TV show called "Pinkie Lee's Circus". Although the host, Pinkie, sometimes wore a tweed hat, he also sported a stingy brim homburg type topper quite similar to the Art work. If you Google Pinkie Lee, you can actually watch some old tapes of the show. Hard to believe by today's jaded standards, but in the day, Pinkie Lee was an icon.
Cheers!

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Very cool hats, I love the stingy brims. I have a few Stetsons and a Panama from Panama Bob.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
Let's say I wanted to dip my toes into a hat like this without spending that much, to see it it worked for me. Is there a (new) factory made but reasonable good quality version? I guess Akubra is out? Biltmore?
You really can't go wrong with a Beaver Brand. The Fedora Store has a great selection. With certain models, you can spec everything about the hat, brim, color, crown style, bow style, etc. Great hats for the money.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
adamgottschalk said:
You really can't go wrong with a Beaver Brand. The Fedora Store has a great selection. With certain models, you can spec everything about the hat, brim, color, crown style, bow style, etc. Great hats for the money.
Agreed. Here's an off the shelf Beaver Brand that I picked up at Hollywood Hatters here in L.A. for seventy-five bucks.
P1010001_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy