My Vintage Radio Collection

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by RetroToday, Jul 19, 2007.

1. decojoe67

decojoe67 One of the Regulars

A 1940 Mantola model R-419 luggage-style battery-only portable. I liked this one for the unusual name and the nice brown and gold art-deco dial. It's built so solid. I hooked-up modern batteries to it and it fired right up! These work their best when they get a recapping though. 1940 Mantola R-419.JPG

RBH likes this.
  2. decojoe67

1947 Westinghouse 555.JPG I'm still researching this one. It's a Canadian 1947 (?) Westinghouse model 555 small 5-tube radio. It's wood covered in Tolex (was tweed, now straw yellow), brown/yellow swirled catalin handle, brown bakelite knobs, and brown painted wooden side panels. It's likely early post-war, but I'm not sure. It seems there was a slew of 555 models, all with a letter attached to them. I have not found another example of this particular model. It was rough when I got it and I did my best to fix it up.

3. decojoe67

Between 1938 and 1949, Arvin produced a slew of little rugged metal radios. This is the earliest (1938) 1938 Arvin Mighty-Mite 40.JPG and toughest to find model 40. It's also the only one that sans the Arvin name for "Mighty-Mite" on the escutcheon. It has only two tubes that do the job of 4. When I saw the opportunity to acquire this excellent original ivory example, I went for it.
    I put a typical 1960 transistor radio next to it for comparison, so you see just how small this cute set is!

4. decojoe67

An early battery only portable radio 1939 Sportsman.JPG from late 1938 or early 1939. I like the large bright silver sunburst dial and brass bezel. The only ID it has is a brass plate on the front that reads "Sportsman". It performs exceptionally well.

vitanola likes this.
  5. decojoe67

Here's a 1941 Dewald model 561 "Jewel" (AKA the "outline-grill" model) It's a more desirable model with the maroon grill insert, handle, and knobs (I actually need to find them - then one's on them look okay, but are incorrect) I found this set at a local barn sale for $50. It was totally untouched and "as-found" which is rare these days. I spent hours polishing it. A really cute set that I plan to have electronically restored soon. These set looks and feel like glass. Real eye-candy. 1939 Dewarld Jewel 651.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Edward Reed likes this.
  6. SteveFord

SteveFord One of the Regulars

The civilized man's camfire.
    There's an old Harman Kardon tube tuner in there bottom right.
    [​IMG]

7. Edward Reed

Edward Reed Familiar Face

I purchased this wood 1941 Zenith Model 6D-525 AM Vacuum Tube Radio from retroradiofarm. Its in excellent working order and very good physical condition.
    one of only three radios built for Zenith by the Ingraham Clock Company, the "oldest cabinet maker in the USA", in Bristol, Connecticut. I believe its walnut or could be mahogany.
    All original parts and factory finish although the original finish is thin in spots on top edge. The dial light was replaced with LED rated for 50,000 hours.
    All paper and wax capacitors were replaced with modern equivalents
    All out-of-spec resistors replaced with modern correct value and voltage equivalents.
    I had them install their Bluetooth 4.0 receiver option so I could stream 1940s radio or my large collection of 40's radio shows like GI Jill's GI Jive, The Chesterfield Moonlight Serenade Show or the Glenn Miller show! I can Switch from Bluetooth MP3 to AM radio with a rocker switch installed on back panel. It includes a 3.5mm to mono RCA cable if I want to plug in my iPod or my iPhone directly.
    DIMENSIONS: Approximately 11" x 7" x 7"
    03032020_1124_03_2048x.jpg 03032020_1124_2048x.jpg 03032020_1125_04_2048x.jpg 03032020_1126_01_2048x.jpg

8. Edward Reed

Edward Reed Familiar Face

1941 Zenith Model 6D-525 AM Vacuum Tube Radio
    IMG_8797.JPG IMG_8799.jpg