Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Radio Collection

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Emud radio

Here is my Emud model T7. I believe it was made in the 50's.
Emud.jpg

It works fine but I get a little static sound when turning the volume knob. I'll have to take it to a radio repair shop one of these days. Cosmetically its in great shape. All original knobs and speaker cloth, dial glass is clean and scratch free and the black lacquer finish is beautiful.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
Here are several photos of my Philco radio collection. With the exception of three radios they are all 1937 models. I converted this room to my “Radio Shack to keep most of my collection together. There are still three others in various rooms of our home and one in my office. About 80% of them are operating and once a month I exercise them all at once using my transmitter located in another part of the house.

RR4.jpg

RR3.jpg

RR2.jpg

RR1.jpg

NICE!!! You have a few great ones sir! What a nice room! I see one in there that I own... I have a Philco 37-600 Model... with that photo wood finish. I also have a '34 model 84B cathedral and a model 60 cathedral. I bought a nice '35 Philco low-boy last year... it's a model 32L Here's a photo of it in my livingroom:

philcocopylw2.jpg

The grill cloth is original... swell little piece, it works but, it gets weak as it plays after a wile... have to run it over to my guy and have it checked out. The finish is original too... has some problems but, not many at all... goin' to leave it just as it is.

zaika

One Too Many
Aside from the Airline console I inherited, this is my first vintage radio and it came in the mail today. I'm afraid to turn it on until I get it checked out...so, until then I've tried to make it at least look nice.

2350776094_39a87c9ef8.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
zaika said:
Aside from the Airline console I inherited, this is my first vintage radio and it came in the mail today. I'm afraid to turn it on until I get it checked out...so, until then I've tried to make it at least look nice.

2350776094_39a87c9ef8.jpg

Looks like you've been bitten by the old radio bug! I was bitten 42 years ago and am yet to get over it.

Enjoy!!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Art Deco radio

Forgotten Man said:
NICE!!! You have a few great ones sir! What a nice room! I see one in there that I own... I have a Philco 37-600 Model... with that photo wood finish. I also have a '34 model 84B cathedral and a model 60 cathedral. I bought a nice '35 Philco low-boy last year... it's a model 32L Here's a photo of it in my livingroom:

philcocopylw2.jpg

The grill cloth is original... swell little piece, it works but, it gets weak as it plays after a wile... have to run it over to my guy and have it checked out. The finish is original too... has some problems but, not many at all... goin' to leave it just as it is.

This is a wonderful piece. The thing that appeals to me most is how they capture the soaring nature of an Art Deco Skyscraper in miniature. Wonderful and so intact!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :p :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
cookie said:
This is a wonderful piece. The thing that appeals to me most is how they capture the soaring nature of an Art Deco Skyscraper in miniature. Wonderful and so intact!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :p :p

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! When I found it at an antique shop in Ontario (Ontario California) I just about died! This isn't a very common console. 1935 had some very unique designs... this is a '35 model but, was sold in late '34. By mid '35 when the '36 models came out, there were no more low or high boys on legs such as this anymore; they all became streamlined and they did away with the legs.

I know what you mean... most of the beautiful consoles and even some of the larger table top sets capture a skyscraper grandeur that is really amazing... that's why I love early 30's deco... it's just hard to beat.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
zaika said:
I'm afraid to turn it on until I get it checked out...so, until then I've tried to make it at least look nice.

Well, one can never play it too safe... but, if you looked over the power cord, and found no problems with it, plug it in, turn it on and let it warm up. If the set starts to hum, that means you'll need some new filter capacitors... if there is no sound... well, that could be a bad out-put transformer... or a number of things.

If the power cord is shot, don't risk it... but, if it's in good shape, try it out, shouldn't be a problem.

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:

philcocopylw2.jpg

Thank you. It is a result of about 35 years of collecting. I had an 84B also, a beautiful radio, but it was one of the many I parted with when I decided to concentrate on 1937 Philcos. The 620 Chairside is one of my favorites, a Gentleman's radio.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
radio_01.jpg

L1010480.jpg

I bought this today for $35 in Reading, PA.
I'm not sure what year it is -- I'm assuming it's a '39 because it has the number "39-3367" on it. It's also from the "Model 14 Series."

When I saw the price tag I had to have it.

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Wow what a deal! It's a beauty. Congrats!

Amy Jeanne said:
I'm not sure what year it is -- I'm assuming it's a '39 because it has the number "39-3367" on it. It's also from the "Model 14 Series."

Flivver

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
radio_01.jpg

L1010480.jpg

When I saw the price tag I had to have it.

WOW!!!

That was quite a spectacular deal!

You have a Philco 14MX introduced in January 1934. The design of this receiver was inspired by the 1933-34 Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago. It's a great example of "modern" cabinet design from this era.

This radio should sound great and deliver great sensitivity and selectivity from its 9-tube chassis.

Production of this cabinet style was 6,407 in both 8 and 9-tube versions.

And your set appears to be in beautiful condition. Rest assured that it's worth *significantly* more than $35!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Flivver said:
WOW!!!

That was quite a spectacular deal!

You have a Philco 14MX introduced in January 1934. The design of this receiver was inspired by the 1933-34 Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago. It's a great example of "modern" cabinet design from this era.

This radio should sound great and deliver great sensitivity and selectivity from its 9-tube chassis.

Production of this cabinet style was 6,407 in both 8 and 9-tube versions.

And your set appears to be in beautiful condition. Rest assured that it's worth *significantly* more than $35!

This is fantastic news to me! The guy at the antique shop said it was only missing one part and he told us exactly where we could get it. He even gave us a quick run-down of the "map" on the inside:

L1010481.jpg

(my camera's flash is way too bright!)

Do you think we should get it re-wired? Old plugs seem to scare me a little.

The only majour cosmetic flaw is the missing trim around the bottom. Other than that it is in wonderful shape.

1934!! WOW!!!! :)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:

Well, what I'd suggest is to have the power cord replaced and you can find a good reproduction of the cloth covered cord... and then, re-attach the original plug. Make sure the prongs on the plug are cleaned and then you'll be set for safe operation using the original plug and preserving its history and authenticity. There is nothing more tacky then a modern plug on an antique electrical appliance! Just because something is old, doesn’t mean it isn’t safe to use.

By the way, that radio is amazing! I've never seen one for sale in all my years of collecting... YOU SCORED BIG ON THAT! It's hard to even find a good working table model for $35. bucks! I can't believe that set was priced so cheap! I am envious! If you ever wanna trade radios, by all means, let me know! Hahaha

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Recap!

As is always pointed out to people who get one of these babies, have a competent pro look at it. They have a gizmo (I think it's called a Variac) that turns on the power slowly from zero, so as to test the various parts. If you have bad capacitors the whole thing can go poof. If there's a loud hum, that means the caps are bad. Anyway, get it at least recapped, and that will make it safe to operate. That's just a gorgeous radio. You got VERY lucky. Also, check out the SSTran AMT3000. You can play any input thru your radio with it. Congrats!

Flivver

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
This is fantastic news to me! The guy at the antique shop said it was only missing one part and he told us exactly where we could get it. He even gave us a quick run-down of the "map" on the inside:

L1010481.jpg

(my camera's flash is way too bright!)

The only majour cosmetic flaw is the missing trim around the bottom. Other than that it is in wonderful shape.

1934!! WOW!!!! :)

I'm sure you know that the missing trim around the bottom matches the fluted trim around the top.

As others have said, have the filter capacitors replaced and the entire chassis checked out by a competent radio technician. When working correctly, this set is capable of very fine performance.

Philco radios made between 1932-1938 are among my all-time favorites. They combine great cabinet design with high performance electronics (for their time). It's not surprising that Philco sold more radios than any other manufacturer during this period of time. And in my opinion, your 14MX is one of the best looking of the lot.

Enjoy it!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Flivver said:
I'm sure you know that the missing trim around the bottom matches the fluted trim around the top.

As others have said, have the filter capacitors replaced and the entire chassis checked out by a competent radio technician. When working correctly, this set is capable of very fine performance.

Philco radios made between 1932-1938 are among my all-time favorites. They combine great cabinet design with high performance electronics (for their time). It's not surprising that Philco sold more radios than any other manufacturer during this period of time. And in my opinion, your 14MX is one of the best looking of the lot.

Enjoy it!

Yes, there is actually a little bit of the bottom trim left on the side. It comes loose. I want to TRY to find maybe the same or very similar style of wood and replace it. My husband says it would be impossible to find and just wants to stain the area where the trim was. He's more interested in getting it to work (so he's avidly reading all of your suggestions -- thanks everyone, by the way.)

Right now we are gluing down some of the wood. As you can see from the first photo, the wood panel on the left side is bumped out. It was all coming loose, but every day we glue a new piece down and we're slowing getting her to LOOK good! :)

If worse comes to worse, I can always just stick my iPod and some speakers behind it :eek: This radio is my BABY!!!! She's perfect. I've always wanted a 1930s streamline moderne floor radio. And the price makes it sweeter.

Here she is: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1934.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points