Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Wife Couldn't Stand My 78's!

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Before I clicked your video I pictured 20's and 30's ballads with men warbling in high pitched voices, a tough sell for alot of ladies. But now I'm mystified!
What does your wife listen to, specifically?

Contemporary Christian artists is what she listens to. Not that I am not a Christian, because I am too. But when listening to Christian music, I'd prefer listening to hymns than some hip hop Christian version.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Happilly my wife likes the sime kind of music than me. Just sometimes she doesn't like to listen classical music at night, as me.

Her trouble about 78s is just about they are so fragile and take a lot of space. I still don't have a large place to store them, so I stopped to get as many as I used to.

Store them in those black plastic tubs you get at Walmart. That's where I store mine, and they store upright too. You could fit around 150 of them in one tub.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Contemporary Christian artists is what she listens to. Not that I am not a Christian, because I am too. But when listening to Christian music, I'd prefer listening to hymns than some hip hop Christian version.

I'd rather poke my ears than listen to contemporary Christian music......and I'm not being anti-Christian, because I am a Christian, I'm just saying that I have yet to hear any Christian music that isn't complete garbage. If I hear one more love song to Christ, I'll barf :p

No flames please, one of the recordings I worked on won a Dove for the writer. and we both knew it sucked as we were recording it. Contemporary Christian music is now either 1980's pop sounding, or Country sounding. Complete with cheesy 80's guitar solos. Sorry, but Motley Crue did it far better than any contemporary Christian artist/artiste.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm the opposite. I love the old music (via iPod, though) and my husband can't stand most of it -- except for a song here and there. He tells me it reminds him of his "Nan" lol

re: OP.

A bit of give and take is all it is. How boring would it be to live with a person who liked everything you liked and hated all your hates. Where would one have a healthy disagreement?

The Baroness can't stand Schoenberg, and so I can only play it when she's out (that reminds me …). She also used to despise anything by Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk. She got there in the end, and now quite enjoys them, having come to understand what they're trying to do. She'd just never had an immersion in jazz. You never know, Gilbey, your wife's tastes might change over time.

bk

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I can't stand her choice of contemporary music either, so does that make us even?
But the fact of the matter is, we still both love each other. We're just two different people.
It would just be nice if both shared the same interests, but that's just in a dream world.

Not long ago I attempted a relationship with a lady whose tastes in music differed mightily from mine. That whole...hum...project (sic!) didn't last too long, and among the many factors that eventually seperated us the music issue was not the least. Music is a very important thing in my life and the ability to share at least some of it with my partner is a very crucial thing for me. Some years ago I found myself in a rather privileged situation as I not only shared a mutual interest in some certain styles of music with my then-partner, we also had the chance to play that music together, at home as well as in live shows, on a daily basis. It was a great time but, after all, even the music couldn't make it last past a certain point...

Last edited:
The thing is that music you don't like becomes very tiresome and even grating after a short period of time. When it comes from a loved one our human mind often begins to believe it is directed against us in a deliberate fashion.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
My wife isn't too pepped up on my music either but she puts up with it. Usually when she has friends over I hook the computer into the stereo and play dj all night. It's all give and take with relationships.

My ex used to really squawk once my ipod went to hell. My favorite local station is WDLS AM900, and it would get static-y here and there and she'd go off about how she can't understand how I can listen to it. I told her that I'd rather listen to country from the 60's with a little static than listen to the crap Nashville's putting out now, even if it is crystal clear.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I really don't know how to address this issue (snarky asides notwithstanding). My musical interests have built a tangible wall between me and most humans, never mind most women.

Because most of us who dig into obscurities are so damned odd - not to mention so overwhelmingly male - I would be somewhat cynical if a woman I was interested in did like my kind of music.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner