Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Wife Couldn't Stand My 78's!

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Music is the most evocative of all the arts and resides so warmly in the mind because it needs no basis of reality. It creates its own atmosphere that brings you into its world.

For me, it is my 78's that brings me into this world of the golden era. Even though it may be before my time, I feel immersed in its culture once the music begins to play. It's as if all of a sudden I am thrusted into this era by my turntable time machine and experience a music style of another time. It evokes an aura of vintageness in an age where they are no longer heard or appreciated.

Such as is my wife who often tells me to close the door everytime I play them. I really think she's missing out ... or is it just me who feels this way [huh]

78sr.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I love the sound of 78s and the great players to play them. It's cool to hear the music the way someone of that time heard it. I still mostly listen to cd's for the clear quality of the sound but there are times when a 78 is called for. It's a pity your wife doesn't like them.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Here's a sample of my equipment and music ...

[video=youtube;YtJpcIOtN9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJpcIOtN9Y[/video]

Chas

One Too Many
The only thing I can suggest is to find a way to live with a spouse who hates your interests or get a girlfriend who likes what you like.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Just imagine that your wife starts to listen loud music that you don't like, american idol, 70s disco stuff :D ... it can be quite annoying.

If you can afford, you could try to soundproof your listening room.

Yeah, I can't stand her choice of contemporary music either, so does that make us even?
But the fact of the matter is, we still both love each other. We're just two different people.
It would just be nice if both shared the same interests, but that's just in a dream world.

Feraud

Bartender
At the very least married couples should respect each other's interests.
Music, art, books, etc. is a subjective call. In the interest of a harmonious marriage you need to agree to disagree.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I can't stand her choice of contemporary music either, so does that make us even?
But the fact of the matter is, we still both love each other. We're just two different people.
It would just be nice if both shared the same interests, but that's just in a dream world.

Soundproof that wall and every body happy ever after. Carpets, couches, book stands...

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Before I clicked your video I pictured 20's and 30's ballads with men warbling in high pitched voices, a tough sell for alot of ladies. But now I'm mystified!
What does your wife listen to, specifically?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Happilly my wife likes the sime kind of music than me. Just sometimes she doesn't like to listen classical music at night, as me.

Her trouble about 78s is just about they are so fragile and take a lot of space. I still don't have a large place to store them, so I stopped to get as many as I used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner