Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery Hat

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I found this fedora at the Vintage Expo In Santa Monica, it came with a red Thoroughbred hatbox, but isn't a Thoroughbred. Here are some pictures of it. It says "His Excellency- World's Premier Hat" and the crest at the top is a D and an H. Disney maybe? There is makers label inside the sweatband, but the makers name fell off, and there is a price tag of $10.

Imported007.jpg

Imported008.jpg

Imported010.jpg

Imported013.jpg

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Thanks Jimmy.
Yes Nick Charles, there are some numbers as follows
Style:1052
Color: Buff
Price $10
To Duplicate:1052
Has a wind trolley also, but it fell off, haven't gotten around to fixing it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
CaddyKid21 said:

To my eye, that lid is quite reminiscent of the Stetson Vogue. Unless I miss my guess, it looks like the edge binding is in the neighborhood of 5/8" to 3/4" -- which makes it slightly wider than the edge binding on a Whippet, and closer to the
3/4" binding on the Vogue. It's a very cool look! :eusa_clap

Here's a Vogue shot for comparison:

Profile.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
The brim binding is a little more than 5/8 1 on top and bottom. I am extremely happy with it. I find it very different, classy, and bold( Thank for the link Feraud). It is very similar to the Stetson Vogue JtL, when are those from?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
CaddyKid21 said:
The brim binding is a little more than 5/8" on top and bottom.

Want me to guess your weight now? :D

Off the top of my head, I believe that I have seen ads for the Vogue that date from the late 40's. I'll check some Stetson ads and see what more I can learn...

Cheers,
JtL

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Thank You everyone. I have grown a liking of wide edge binding after getting this hat. I'm also thinking of getting it copied in grey by Art sometime in the future I like it so much.lol

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
NIIIIICE. Great color. It certainly is like JTL's Vogue. It's also somewhat like my Stetsonian and my Knox Tom & Jerry below for reference. It seems it's one of the lesser known brands (but not lesser quality) keeping up with the style trends of Stetson, Knox, etc. I'd say you've definitely got yourself a fantastic forties fedora there.

Stetsonian:
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Thanks Gene

Thanks Gene. I haven't been able to find any info on the brand, but it is one helluva hat! The ribbon is stunning in person because of the sheen, it really gives the hat personality, and the binding is very classy. It is almost a dead match to the Vogue. By the way, I am jealous of your Hanover Squares....:D

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
BREAKING NEWS
I have found info on the brand of this hat!
I always thought The Carlson Company was just a label of the store but not the maker, but oh how I was wrong.

Excerpt from http://www.sentimental-value.com/?cat=14
" This is vintage Stetson hat was sold by The Carlson Company in Britain (see above gold embossed stamp in leather band). I found an interesting tidbit online which referred to the Carlson Company as the place where Humphrey Bogart bought his signature fedoras.

After seeing similar labels, I think this hat was most likely manufactured sometime before 1940. You can see in one of the photos, the actual price when new was $5.00."
http://www.sentimental-value.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/stetson_derby_pricetage.jpg
I have a hat where Bogart bought his, hmmm
. Inside the sweatband, I have the same square tag with cut edges. The Mystery is solved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany