Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery in a NYC wall

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\07\24\story_24-7-2007_pg9_13

NYC building—a history mystery

A final thrust of the crowbar cracked the wooden crate open, and the architect, the anthropologist and the mortar expert leaned in to look at the oddity that had drawn them to an out-of-the-way warehouse.

It was a 3-foot-by-10-foot section of timeworn brick wall, its predictable rows abruptly interrupted by three distinct, deliberate-looking triangular shapes. Once part of a warehouse, it now does nothing but raise questions.

Painstakingly preserved from a 175-year-old building in lower Manhattan, the brickwork symbol is part of a tantalizing historical whodunit.

Could the design be a cryptic marker of mystical beliefs? A tradesman’s signature? A bit of architectural shorthand? A creative way to patch a hole?

Speculation, some backed with scholarly authority, has been generating enough gravity to pull in community leaders and persuade a developer to spend $13,000 to save the artifact from demolition.

The design is simple, but clearly intentional: It centers on a triangle framed with a strip of mortar, framed by two rougher triangular forms. It sat unheralded for years in a building on Pearl Street, at the edge of the financial district. Solomon, who works for a vintage-lumber dealer, spotted it several years ago while engaged in an effort to save the 1832 building.

20070724_i12.jpg

Phil

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Looks Masonic to me.

No offence to you or any Masons, but it seems that everything these days are being linked to Masons. It's either Masons, cancer, or terrorists.

Honestly, it could just be a trademark of the builders who made the building. Like a signature or something to that effect.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Phil said:
Honestly, it could just be a trademark of the builders who made the building. Like a signature or something to that effect.

Spoken like someone on the level covering something up. :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I love seeing things like this. It seems no one takes the time to do anything interesting like this anymore

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, it *is* one of their symbols, and they *did* build. As the girlfriend of a Mason, I can guarantee you that, at least at the "anyman" level, it's really not all that interesting.
left.jpg

Phil

A-List Customer
Oh no...
no
no
no
Not the dollar thing again. I've heard about this so many times. It was nice before National Treasure. It was interesting. Kind of a neat idea. I didn't buy into it...ha ha...buy into it...and it's a dollar... Leave me alone, I need sleep.

Anyways, after National Treasure, there was all this commotion on the dollar and it's "mystic symbols". If it will same me the millions of stories, I will say you're correct right now.

RIOT

Practically Family
Wow, I had forgotten about Missing Foundation, thanks for bringing that up. Yeah, those were the good ol' days when Alphabet City was still Alphabet City and the rest of the LES was like Dodge City. When borders were drawn between the East and the West Sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL