Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery Of 1938 'Time Traveler' With Cell Phone Solved?

Story

I'll Lock Up
I remembered the original thread on anarchnoistic photos and items that seemed 'out of time', but for the life of me couldn't find that thread. If that thread wasn't eaten already, Bartender, move or merge as needed.

The mystery surrounding a video that appears to show a young woman talking on a cell phone in 1938 may be solved. The explanation, if true, is sure to disappoint many conspiracy theorists.

The black-and-white footage shows a group of young people, possibly factory workers, walking out of a building. A brunette in a light-colored dress smiles into the camera, her hand pressed to her ear. She is holding what looks to be a large portable phone.

The Daily Mail reports that the clip surfaced online about a year ago and kicked off speculation about a time traveler caught on camera. Recently, a YouTube commenter who goes by the handle Planetcheck claimed to know the woman in the footage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...d10|htmlws-main-bb|dl12|sec1_lnk2&pLid=293924

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Unlikely for a couple of reasons: the miniature tubes required for such a device were not available except in an RCA development lab until November 1939. And Dupont was at that time a company focused on chemical research, not electronics, and there's no evidence that they ever had the facilities to develop such components on their own.

The actual "walkie talkie" developed by the Canadian military in 1938 was about the size of a shoebox, and was connected to a large pack containing the transmitter-receiver components and the necessary batteries.

What it looks like to me is that the woman in the film is carrying a small clutch purse in an affected manner while talking to her friends. Nothng futuristic about it.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
T
Nothing to see here, move along.. move along... ;)

And if you'll just look this way...
men_in_black_movie_image_tommy_lee_jones_and_will_smith.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I think one of the posters summed it up best, "OK So she traveled back in time and took her cell phone? Did she take a tower
also?"

Story

I'll Lock Up
Signals from 'those kind' of cell phones bounce off the ionosphere, no towers needed.

;)

Jack Patch

Familiar Face
Considering how small cell phones have become and the fact you can use an almost invisible ear piece to speak on them, it seems to bit of a stretch to think anyone capable of time travel would have such a large phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy